Author Topic: Old bag mold  (Read 2704 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Old bag mold
« on: June 11, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »
Old bag mold my neighbor gave me this evening. Looks like about .36. Pretty small, the keys give it some scale in the photo.

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Online Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Old bag mold
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 06:55:27 AM »
 :) :)... Wow , neat little mold .... I've never seen one hinged at the top like that .......

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »
What fiddler said ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 07:53:10 PM »
This looks to me like some of the bullet molds old timers around the turn of the twentieth century built for guns that were acquired without the original mold. Most molds originally made by the gunsmith that built the corresponding longrifle usually gave the mold a little more file work than this example displays.
 It looks to be in good shape, and appears to not have been spring over time. It having no spruce cutter also make me think it was probably the second mold built for the gun.

Hungry Horse

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:34:10 PM »
For what it's worth, I agree late 1800s or even Early 1900s. Once the cartridge era hit lots of molds were made like this.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »
If you look up antique bullet molds on the internet you will find a mold just like this one, with the exception that one of the handles has been filed to make a cleaning jag. This would indicate to me that it was for a pistol.

Hungry Horse