Author Topic: Dixie`s Mountain rifles  (Read 2366 times)

n stephenson

Dixie`s Mountain rifles
« on: June 11, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »
 The last time I went to Dixie Gun Works  in Union City Tn. they still had Mr. Kirkland`s  collection of southern mountain rifles on display. Does anyone know if this massive collection of antique rifles have ever been studied or documented by anyone. I would not even venture a guess as to how many were there but it was the largest collection of these type rifles that I`ve ever seen, of course I haven't seen them all. If these rifles haven't been studied there is surely a wealth of info. to be found in this large grouping. I understand that this would all be up to the current caretakers . The rifles are on display in the showroom and, it is worth the trip just to see all these old rifles.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Dixie`s Mountain rifles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 07:15:59 PM »
 8) 8)... Thanx Nate...!!   sounds like a road trip for me.... !!! ... been about 20 years since I've been there.....Need to see again ... There was a "rumor" around at the Knoxville Tennessee Longrifle show that a grand book with professional color pix is in the works....All southern mountain rifles .... Robin Hale had one planned before his passing, and I believe the new fellows with this plan will make it work.....we know of a couple pros who've taking pictures for years .... !!! 

Dave Patterson

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
  ... There was a "rumor" around at the Knoxville Tennessee Longrifle show that a grand book with professional color pix is in the works....All southern mountain rifles ....

Man, that sounds GREAT!  Looking forward to seeing that, if and when.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:40:59 AM »
  Nate two years ago I was at DGW.
 Sad to say the guns were all dusty. Not like Turner ran it. The Tennessee guns are my favorites. I would like to see such a book.  Oldtravler