Author Topic: Render SPG less viscus?  (Read 2074 times)

Naphtali

Render SPG less viscus?
« on: June 12, 2017, 07:20:52 PM »
I use SPG as lubricant-fouling softener when shooting muzzleloading rifle and percussion revolver conical bullets, and 45 Colt bullets with muzzle velocities less than 1100 fps (Titegroup® loads).

I want to try patched round balls in my rifle.* Among lubricants I want to try is SPG. Without being able to confirm it, I'm anticipating SPG will be less satisfactory than less viscus lubes. But if it works well during testing with it unaltered, saturating a pillow ticking or linen patch will become expensive because I would be using much more than necessary.

SPG is made using 100 percent natural materials. What do I add to it when heated to a liquid state to increase its liquidity during use at temperature as low as 20 degrees Fahrenheit? If altitude during use is important, I'll be using it as high as 5500 ft.
*Perhaps the main reason for investigating patch lubricants is that I'll also be trying round balls that I have dimpled using "The Dimpler." Any advantage gained by texturing RB's surface might be negated - as in "filled" - by too thick patch lube.

Offline EC121

Re: Render SPG less viscus?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:54:20 PM »
Warm it up and add some mink oil to it.
Brice Stultz

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »
Cut the SPG with pure Neetsfoot Oil 50:50 for a start.  that should make it like thick cream.  NFO works fine without the SPG...just sayin"
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:26:50 AM »
I make a similar brew from beeswax,crisco and mutton tallow and thin it for cold weather
with a bit of olive oil.Neetsfoot oil will work as well if you have some.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:48:18 AM »
I think if you reread the instructions for successfully shooting the dimpled ball in a smoothbore you will find that the dimpled ball is greased with a stiff lube much like a modern bullet.

Hungry Horse

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
Can you share a photo of "the dimpler" with us or is that a trade secret?  :)