Author Topic: Old eyes! Thinking of trying peep-rear sight.  (Read 6169 times)

Longwalker

Old eyes! Thinking of trying peep-rear sight.
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:34:20 PM »
Have been considering trying a peep rear sight for a smooth rifle build I am starting. Who out there has any experience with them? Is there a source for rear peep sights commercially? Or will I have to have one custom made? Thinking of dove-tailing it close to the breech of the barrel.

What size is most beneficial? larger or smaller? As you can see, I have a lot of questions. Any suggestions or input would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Harry

Online oldways

Re: Old eyes! Thinking of trying peep-rear sight.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 02:45:52 PM »
  I put one on a southern mountain rifle I just finished in april. I put it at a distance that I would a regular sight in case I don't like it. I purchased mine from track of the wolf, there are other here who may give you more information.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 03:00:49 PM »
TOTW has a rear sight that has a loop built into it. I put it way down the barrel like I do a standard sight. It's better than a standard sight but it isn't like it was when I was 20.  :-\
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 04:07:52 PM »
Skinner sights, makes a variety of peep sights, some that will fit in the existing dovetail and others that require drilling and tapping.  A peep sight works best when close to the eye.  Smaller apertures for target work, and larger ones for for hunting and low light conditions.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
A peep will help you for sure. The closer to your eye the better. You don't look at the peep at all. You look through it and concentrate on the front sight. Your brain will automatically center the front sight in the peep. The peep should also bring the front sight and target into a better focus than not using the peep. The smaller the aperture the better that works, but too small won't work for hunting. There is no best size. Use what's comfortable for you. I usually have two. One smaller for target work and a bigger one for hunting. Sometimes i'll take the aperture right out and use the frame of the peep as a ghost sight for dark timber hunting.

galudwig

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 04:33:38 PM »
Here's a neat one that someone posted on ALR a while back. I liked it so much I saved it for future reference.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:29 PM »
That's perfect. The only thing i'd change is to drill it out bigger, thread it, and use an aperture.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
I made one of these for my .40 Flintlock a couple of months ago and I've made one for .54 also. I just haven't gotten around to sighting it in yet. I've attached the thread detailing the sight if interested.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43554.0
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 02:22:15 AM »
Old eyes. I'm 81 so I guess I qualify and got new glasses.They are not right
and I told the eye doc I have to back them with 2 diopter reading glasses to
use my computer so I will get another eye exam on the 26th of this month.
I have made some peep sights but they were fancy,micrometer calibrated
for long range muzzle loaders and long range single shots.
Bob Roller 

Longwalker

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I like the looks of all those sights. Will check them out and see what happens! Please , If anyone else has any ideas or suggestions, I'd like to hear them!
Harry

Offline EC121

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 01:22:37 AM »
If you just want to do a non-destructive experiment, bend a piece of metal and drill a hole in it.  Then drill a larger hole in the base and run the tang screw through it.  You try it without drilling the tang.  I drilled a series of holes to check elevation and countersunk the hole for the screw.

upload image
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:24:25 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 01:30:03 AM »
You could even tape on a piece of cardboard with a hole in it just to see what it looks like.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 02:37:09 AM »
I agree with what others have said here.  The closer to the eye the better. 

Leave the rear sight in until you get the peepsight installed.  You can line up the front and rear and see where the hole needs to be on the peep.

A simple bent piece of metal secured with the tang screw should do the trick. 

I used peep sights quite a bit in "modern" rifles such as a Sharps 74 or a Savage 99.  They work so much easier than a sight on the barrel.  The key is looking through the peep.  You don't have to align the rear sight. 

For a target, try a piece of poster paper with a 1" wide black cross on it.  You'll be able to see much better than a bull.  Especially rifles with a bead front. 

Hope this helps.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
A peep will help you for sure. The closer to your eye the better. You don't look at the peep at all. You look through it and concentrate on the front sight. Your brain will automatically center the front sight in the peep. The peep should also bring the front sight and target into a better focus than not using the peep. The smaller the aperture the better that works, but too small won't work for hunting. There is no best size. Use what's comfortable for you. I usually have two. One smaller for target work and a bigger one for hunting. Sometimes i'll take the aperture right out and use the frame of the peep as a ghost sight for dark timber hunting.
That's exactly how it works with mine. For me the rear sight had become a blur and it blocked a good view of the front sight. Now the front sight and target are clear and sharp.
For me, the longer sighting plane means I need a thicker front sight in the order of .100", and all the ones I've made have a hole of .062, but I'm not sure I won't drill it out more but I haven't started that kind of testing yet. I have some old adjustable peeps, and the hole is a good bit bigger than .062. I've also hunted with the aperture removed and that hole is near .250" They all worked well for me but I had younger eyes.
It comes down to what works best for you.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:52 PM »
After two cataract surgeries, with sight improved, I still found only one way to increase sight visibility.

I took a 45LC cartridge and torched it, dunking it in water to anneal it.  Then I used a heavy gauge scissor and cut a strip off of it, about half an inch long and a quarter wide.  Then I wrapped it around my thick front sight from back to front, tapping it for a close fit.  A little crazy glue and some file work keeps it low profile enough that you gotta look for it.

Then I went to my rear sight, and with a half round hollowed out the middle of the sight.  Hack sawed a notch at the bottom of it and went back to the range.  When I benched the gun, I gradually brought the front sight down until the top of it lined up with the top of the sight while centered on the groove.  The sight picture looks somewhat  like an M-1 Carbine where you are looking through the ring and entering the front.

Now I am punching out orange dholes on my shoot n c targets.   I make sure to avoid filing the rear sight to pretty it up, keeping it rough cast and dull grey. 

This works well enough that the only things I have to worry about on trail walks is my follow through and my old man aching back.

Anybody know of a vendor selling new backs and legs?

Don't shoot yore eye out, kid

The Capgun Kid

Longwalker

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
Thanks again for all the replies! I am going to try a homegrown tang mounted Peep when my gun build is ready. Lots of good suggestions.
Much appreciated!
Harry