Author Topic: New Rifle  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Ray Settanta

New Rifle
« on: June 15, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
Looking at pictures is great but it can't compare to actually holding a longrifle in my hands. I just received a Southern mountain rifle that was made in North Carolina and I am ecstatic. I can finally understand what people mean when they talk about the slimness of the butt or forestock. I could not really appreciate that from a picture. I would like to thank this website and the people here for giving me the opportunity to realize a dream.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: New Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:16:09 AM »
 ;D 8)... Congrats... It IS addicting, however..... I did hear about a certain LongRifle that was once bought by a trade for a corvette, and a later collector mortgaged his house to purchase it....HaHa.....These mountain rifles ARE gorgeous..... !!! ..... POST PIX PLEASE.... !!!

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 12:35:31 AM »
I can't post any pictures right now because I don't have a hosting service yet.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 02:14:22 AM »
Ray,

A hosting service is no longer required to post pictures.  Details here.... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=43575.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »
That's great. Thanks! Will take some pictures and post soon.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
Here ya go!

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
 8) 8) 8)... Congrats... !!! very fine rifle....I've never seen that Trigger-guard or barrel tang ....What area of Carolina is she from..??  ...give us some specs ... overall length, barrel length, approx. caliber, & etc. ...We can see she's fullstock  black walnut & all iron mounted ... nice style.... Dennis Glazener, ... any thoughts.. ???

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »
I was told that it probably was made in Ash county, NC.

Dimensions:
Barrel length: 42 7/8"
Slight taper from .85 to .81
Bore: approximately .32 caliber
Tang: 3"
Overall length: 58 1/2" to center curve of buttplate
Butt plate return: 2 1/2"
Buttplate: 4"
Lockplate: 4 7/8" by 1"
Trigguard: 7 7/8"
Triggerguard bow: 2 3/4" by 3/4"

There are also some marks on the muzzle surrounding the bore but the picture didn't come out well and I can't make out what they are.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:36:59 PM by Ray Settanta »

Offline gibster

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 12:34:44 AM »
I had showed the rifle to Wayne Bryson not long ago and he said that he felt it was made in Ash County NC. Anyone that knows Wayne knows that he is very knowledgeable on western NC rifles, so I feel comfortable passing that info on.  I had owned the rifle for the past 18-years or so and it was time for a new caretaker. From conversations with Ray, I think that it has found a good home.

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 12:39:17 AM »
 :) :)... Thanx for that info.  Ray & Gib .... very nice rifle ... glad to see it is home with someone who appreciates it ...Enjoy .. !!!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2017, 01:39:33 AM »
Afraid I am not familiar with this type of TG or tang  on NC Mountain Rifles I would trust Wayne's thought on As he County.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:03:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Levy

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 05:12:22 AM »
On page 48 of David Byrd's book, East Tennessee Hog Rifles, is a rifle attributed to Benjamin C. Dyer that has a vaguely similar trigger guard.  Dyer started out in Ashe Cty North Carolina.
James Levy
James Levy

Offline heelerau

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 12:00:14 PM »
Nice to see you blokes collect the plainer rifles as well, it is a pity to see any of them get tossed. What condition is the bore in ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:10:10 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 06:05:34 PM »
Seeing this much used, and abuseded, buttplate, reminds me to ask all you SMR guys, if you are familiar with a Southern gunsmith that made very fine forged iron furniture, and anchored his buttplate with one screw on the top, and two quite low on the butt. I have such a buttplate, and wondered if this is a regional detail.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 08:00:44 PM »
I forgot to mention that there is a brass plate on the top flat of the barrel with the initials A R(?) H.