Author Topic: First Rifle from a Plank  (Read 5996 times)

Offline oldways

First Rifle from a Plank
« on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:08 AM »
Just finished this rifle in April. It's a southern mountain rifle 40 cal with a Colerain barrel. The pics at the bottom are the group I shot off of a rest.

upload picture

Offline Marcruger

Re: First Rifle from a Plank
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 12:33:05 AM »
That's a mighty fine effort.  You must have had some experience with "kits" before this gun! 

I like the slim architecture, and the finish you used on the metal.  The wood has a warm look. 

As Farmer Hoggett said in the "Babe, The Pig" movie......."That'll do."  He was the master of understatement as the pig did incredible things.  Some fine grouping there. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:10:11 AM »
Now that's nice and a good shooter too the way it looks.

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 01:43:26 AM »
Good looking rifle! Great groups and shooting also. You sure have a winner in both looks and shooting! I like the rear sight which gives me and idea for my next rifle with these older eyes. Those peeps are sure easier to see and shoot with for me.
Jerry Dickerson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 01:47:00 AM »
A very nice gun, you have a good eye for not only form, but aiming.  ;)

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 02:10:40 AM »
Good looking rifle.  The overall architecture flows nicely is pleasing to the eye.  You did a great job finding the gunstock hidden in the plank.  If I could make two small comments, the edges of the buttplate look to be a bit on the fat side, you could taper the edges a bit from the center of the buttplate.  Second, I like to see the rear of the triggerguard bow touch the trigger plate.  Reason being is that it keeps the triggerguard from flexing when you grip the rifle.  Other than that, as I stated earlier, you did well.
David

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 02:23:02 AM »
I like it ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Hemo

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
Very nice job of design, fitting, and finish! Good shots, too.
The rear "peep" sight is interesting--I've never seen one like this, though I haven't had a lot of exposure to the SMR tribe. Is that based on an old design?

Gregg

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 03:30:04 AM »
Good form. Nice job for first rifle from a blank. Keep up the good work.     Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 04:00:28 AM »
Very Nice job and a good shooter too! ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 04:34:40 AM »
 :) :)... WOW... Great job... !! ... she's a fine rifle....impressive Tennessee style ....Leaving the metal parts in the white..?? ....give us the story on the silver dollar..... Thanx for posting.... NEVER too many TENNESSEE LongRifles ... !!!

lkipps54

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 04:51:34 AM »
Nice, real nice. Bet you liked to died when that screw split stock!  Great rifle.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 06:32:41 AM »
Looks good!
What lock did you use?

Offline oldways

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 04:08:37 PM »
Thank you for all your comments and replies. The lock is a L&R manton I just removed the tip off the end. The peep sight I purchased, I forget from where. The coin is a 1835 one cent piece that was my grandmothers, she use to wear it as a neckless it kind of dates the rifle.  I found pictures on the contemporary makers blogspot OCT. 15 2014 Lewis Banner, Its not a copy of the rifle but I got a better idea of what I was trying to build. There are two people I would like to thank for all there help Dave Kutcher And John Gaeckle without there help it would still be just a plank.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »
Great job, Walt....I like the coin in the stock, that really came out well and the color is very mellow. You should explain to everyone the significance of that coin.

n stephenson

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 04:54:42 PM »
Nice Job!  Building from the board is always satisfying when they turn out like this. Well Done.   Nate

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 05:17:53 PM »
Great looking rifle. I hope my first rifle from a plank turns out as good.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 06:50:45 PM »
From a plank? First rifle?
Looks great, shoots great! What more can you ask for!?
You have a winner!
Tom C.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »
Beautiful work and great shooting!!

Best regards
Rolf

Dave Patterson

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 03:25:29 AM »
I've got to agree with everyone above:  VERY impressive; very pleasing design, fit and finish - and one heckuva good shooter (both the rifle, and the builder!).  Nice, nice job.

On another note:
...The rear "peep" sight is interesting--I've never seen one like this...

I've got that sight on two of my three rifles, and will very likely keep right on using them on future personal builds.  I found mine in the TOW catalog.  I doubt very much that they're historically correct at all, but (1) they work for my aging eye, and (2) the look isn't all that offensive to me.  Just my opinion.

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
Hi Oldways...

I've hesitated replying to your post. You've crafted a very nice rifle there and have reason to be proud of your work...it shows a lot of care and attention to detail. There is just one little thing I'd like to add to the above comments. Your toe plate extends past the butt plate...covering the bottom edge of the butt plate. I've looked at the Lewis Banner rifle you based this build on and the photos of the toe of the butt plate can indeed be interpreted the way you have done it...BUT...I believe the butt plate has worn away somewhat at the toe, leading to that impression. Others will possibly disagree about this but I have never seen a toe plate handled this way on an original rifle. It's a small perhaps insignificant detail, but necessary to point out to avoid doing it this way in the future.
Again, nice job, and the fact this wasn't pointed out by anyone else shows that it really is a minor thing.

All my best,
John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Treebeard

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 03:12:04 AM »
I have also used that exact sight and can affirm it is great for aging eyes.

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
That's a really good gun. I could do without the coin though, but that's just me.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
That's a really good gun. I could do without the coin though, but that's just me.

But that's what makes the gun so personal to the builder.....that coin was something his grandmother wore around her neck and it's his way of remembering her. He put a lot of thought into putting that coin in, where he should put it, how to go about securing it, should it be left proud (and it is).