Author Topic: Contemporary Longrifle Foundation 2017 Auction  (Read 7992 times)

Offline heinz

Contemporary Longrifle Foundation 2017 Auction
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:56:17 AM »
This year's auction is two months away. The CLF auction website should be up soon. There are 32 items in this auction including 5 rifles
In the best Washington DC tradition, we have begun leaking information ahead of our site going live.  The Contemporary Makers Blog, the CLA facebook page and the Blackpowdermag facebook page have begun posting items. We have a large collection of really neatt stuff. The John Fraser Project is a good read as is the Thomas Lincoln horn.
We will post the auction website link here as soon as it is live
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

Re: Contemporary Longrifle Foundation 2017 Auction
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 05:50:17 AM »
So you just set me off on a trek of searching for photos and I was just about ready to go to bed.  This is a teaser in the worst way!  5 Rifles!!

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 07:17:55 PM »
Molly, if you go to the Contemporary Makers Blog 
https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/
you can see the Fraser project, the two Tim's horn, a Keith Casteel Bowie knife, Djuana Tucker's super quilled hatband and a Scott Sumerville knife. I also understand they are up on the facebook pages I mentioned but I do not speak facebook myself. 
I do not usually tease. Next week we will be posting another rifle and a beautiful brooch and case by Glen Mock. That is a teaser. 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 10:47:33 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Smoketown

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:47:52 PM »
The link didn't work for me.    :(

Is this one similar??

https://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline heinz

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
Thanks Smoketown. I forgot how to format a link here. Duh

I think it is fixed now
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 03:12:27 AM »
I think I have seen all that is available so far.  Some great items for sure!  Most anxious to see the other 3 rifles  To me this is like Christmas.  The auction is a really fun thing...almost like a sport!

Offline heinz

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:37:05 AM »
The CLF site is up and running now. There is a hot link to the auction site on the CLA homepage at longrifle.com
There are 9 items up now
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 08:31:12 PM »
Muzzle Loader Mag has photos and short descriptions but I think there may be a few items not yet ready.  As always quite a nice collection of goodies.  The Frazier project is pretty impressive.  Yet, the array of goodies from 2016 will be hard to beat!

Offline heinz

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
There are 32 items scheduled for this years auction. We have 28 of them in hand right now. As Molly noted the Fraser Project is a interesting  recreation of the gun and gear of an early frontier hero. There are a total 10 items that will be up today with more coming by the end of the week including a couple rifles.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 05:59:31 AM »
The link below is to my web site ( www.blackpowdermag.com ).  This is not a face book page.  I have a page dedicated to CLA Auction items only.  You can see all the items consecutively.  AT this point I'm completely caught up with Heinz's  emails to me. The most recent being Steve Lasley's  Penn style Bag.

https://www.blackpowdermag.com/category/contemporary-longrifle-association/cla-2017/

Regards,
Pletch

PS I should have added that I'm posting these items on the NMLRA face book page too.  I think someone else is posting to the CLA face book page.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:05:24 AM by Pletch »
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline heinz

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
Larry Pletcher keeps the Blackpowdermag website up to date on the CLA auction postings, frequently being ahead of us. The CLA CLF site will be on hold for about 2 weeks while folks are off Rendezvousing. Larry will have the updates in that period, along with the  Contemporary Makers Blog!  There are two rifles up already with two more coming in the next week. Some neat non shooting items are also up, a Karen Hainlen waistcoat, Djuana Tucker hatband, Bruce Meurer sculpture and many more. Even if you are not planning on bidding the extended write ups and photos on the websites can give you some good ideas for your own projects.
PS spell check changed "bootmakers" to "bookmakers" in the Steve Lasley writeup.  Maybe there were bookmakers among those PA dutch?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 04:46:35 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 03:31:07 PM »
There are a couple of more items posted. Larry Pletcher's www.blackpowdermag.com will have them up first. Terry Methe has an extraordinary youth's rifle, fully carved and engraved.  Tom and Sandy  Greco have a really well styled horn, hunting bag and belt pouch set
kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 03:10:25 AM »
 A couple of more items are up including the Josh Wrightsman early Lancaster rifle

www.blackpowdermag.com
http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com

kind regards, heinz

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 08:19:48 PM »
Are absentee bids accepted or do you have to be there?
How about attendance, Do you have to be a member or can the interested public visit.?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 09:15:37 PM »
Have to be there I believe, unless you have a proxy there with your money. To be there you have to be a member.
Andover, Vermont

Offline heinz

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 10:49:21 PM »
There is an absentee bid process for those who cannot attend and this includes non members.  The absentee bid is given to the auctioneer and he will insert that bid when it exceeds the floor bid, but usually in small increments.  for example if the floor bids have stopped at 500 dollars and you have a 1000 bid, it will be put in at 550 or thereabouts so you won't be overbidding. 
We are working on the process to be sure no absentee bids get missed.  If you put one in it would be useful to let me know about it.  I do not need the number just that it is in there with you name and the item.

This is the link the process   www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/fundraising/2017/2017_bidding.shtml

thanks, the CLA Auction Committee

PS, you can also always have someone you know who is there bid for, a lot of folks do do that.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:50:57 PM by heinz »
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
During the auction last year and after it concluded I reflected.....I never saw a single item sold to an absentee bidder.  In fact I never saw a single indication that anyone was in possession of any absentee bids.  Not suggesting anyone made an error but as a veteran of many public auctions, it is usually clear when there is an absentee bid and it is usually communicated to the crowd if not specifically, by observation of the process.

Offline heinz

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2017, 03:37:31 PM »
Molly, there are absentee bids but only a small number. I have never understood why there are not more because there are a lot of really nice items. Absentee bids are often from institutions who want an item for their collection or well known collectors who cannot attend or prefer to stay anonymous.
There was an absentee bid last year that was mishandled.
Joe Mills is very good at being discrete on when he has an absentee or anonymous bid. He does not come out and say "the bidding on this piece is starting at $1000" as some auctioneers do. With the few absentee bids we have had I think most have knocked off at below the full tender.
So, we get a few absentee bids but not many. I do not know why we do not get more. We try to treat all our bidders fairly. We know some folks use friends at the auction as proxy bidders and we are all for that; it saves us work and worry.
Wait until you see the Glen Mock brooch going up today or tomorrow.
Thanks for your support
kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
I was in no way suggesting there were any irregularities.  Auctions I attend with absentee bids usually do several things.  First, a log of the bids is in possession of an assistant or the "ring man" who watches and then informs the auctioneer.  Additionally, items are tagged in some way, such as a small off color sticker and then the auctioneers typically announce that there is an absentee bid exists.  Starting an item at the absentee bid high is a ripoff in my opinion.  Smart absentee bidders are doing something different.  They write in an opening bid and then specify their limit as a second part of the bid.  Of course there is still ways of going directly to the absentee high bid.

Too bad more don't participate this way, unless they were "participating" on an item I wanted to buy!

I have seen photos of the brooch.  Very nice naturally, but I want your knife .  The pistol case is nice too.  And the waistcoat for the old man.  Or maybe the cooking set yet to be seen.  And the painting from last year that never made it due to the artists'accident.  But then all of that depends on if I find an original J. Sites, J. Painter, G. Peterman OR Geo Wilson...all Botetourt County VA makers and then maybe I'll find that special TN style by Roger Sells....so much stuff....so little $$

Offline heinz

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 11:09:54 PM »
Molly, thanks for your support and the plug for my knife

Here is another shameless plug for the Fraser project.  The text on this one gives a lot of details
http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/fundraising/2017/

kind regards, heinz

Offline Molly

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
The photos are great as are all the goodies but if you do not read about the man you are missing a lot of the value of the offering. 

Offline heinz

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2017, 04:59:11 PM »
The CLF site is up to date now with 28 items posted .  Note there is a link at the bottom of each items description that will take you to its' photo gallery

site link http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/fundraising/2017/

here are a few photos of newer items

free image hosting for websites

kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2017, 05:50:21 PM »
The 2017 CLA Live auction inventory is posted on the CLA website.

http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/fundraising/2017/

31 of the 32 auction items are up.  The last one will not be available for posting before the Auction

The 3 just posted are all great items.  The Steve Lodding/Dave Wright horn is a remarkable copy of an original. It is well worth a trip to the website to take in all the items or just to take in this last horn.

You can also see these items on blackpowdermag.com, the Contemporary Makers Blog or the CLA Facebook page.

kind regards, heinz

Offline heinz

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »
The Auction goes off this Friday night.  I believe we have something for every taste and pocket book. 
WE did not have a specific theme for the auction but in the end we have a super group of pre revolutionary and French and Indian war items.  In the rifle category there are 3 outstanding earl style rifles and we also have the great "Three rivers hunting bag" smooth bore pouch.

Visit the site!
http://www.contemporarylongriflefoundation.org/fundraising/2017

Two of the rifles (Frost rifle posted below) and the Wright/Lodding horn also the Weeks and friends hunting set

high quality image upload

kind regards, heinz