Author Topic: Made a few simple tools.  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Chowmi

Made a few simple tools.
« on: June 16, 2017, 11:29:43 PM »
I've been on a bit of a tool making kick for the past few days. Likely to avoid confronting the fact that I still need to work on smoothing the background around my latest attempt at carving....

I made a punch to punch out the tumbler from the cock.
I also made a mandrel for 3/8ths inch ramrod pipes, with a rounded punch on the end to use for bumping up the RR entry pipe finial.

Not elegant, but functional:

I have some old tools from my grandfather that are nearly worn out and rusting. I turned a coarse chisel into a small rasp for background removal. I got the idea from the tutorial section, I think Tom Curran made one.
This was really my first foray into forging, and that part went well. I used a graver to create the teeth on the rasp, and it certainly cuts. A bit too much really, I leaves fairly deep scratch marks. Anyway, I had a great time doing it and it was fun to see the nice bright steel underneath all that surface rust.
Here's the chisel as it started:

bbcode image link

And the final product. The picture is poor so it's hard to see the teeth.

Cheers,
Norm.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:18:01 AM by rich pierce »
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

gizamo

Re: Made a few simple tools.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:43:57 AM »
Awesome!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 03:40:28 AM »
Good job, I am sure you find them useful. Self-made tools are one of the fun things about crafting.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:11 AM »
Very nice Norm!  Especially the rasp made from your Granddad's old tool!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Gary/CO

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:16:51 AM »
Saw a similar tumbler removing tool used by J. Valentin at Bowling Green.  Now I have to make one myself.