Author Topic: Shot snake  (Read 4760 times)

g2608671@verizon.net

Shot snake
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:23:57 AM »
Does anyone have a pattern for a shot snake?  I have a tanned deer hide that would be more than enough to make a shot snake but need a reference to the design requirements and the brass head as well.

Offline jaeren

Re: Shot snake
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
I've seen both the Irish and English style shot heads at Track of the Wolf. Used ones can be found at gun shows and flea markets. Some used bone or horn and turned that down  You would have to make a stopper that wouldn't  fall out. I have an old original that looks like a bag with a spout on one side. It had an Irish style head. TOW has a snake that you carry over your shoulder and I've seen originals like it. The heads can be found on eBay but tend to be expensive.

Offline FDR

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »
Dixie has the head only for sale.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7867&osCsid=jbolcik4vh271p0kqc0up3sf74

Fred
Thanks guys. and gad-zooks they are expensive.  Need to come up with a Plan B.....

Offline jaeren

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »
Keep checking the bins and boxes at gun shows and flea markets i have found a few. Sometimes eBay will have one listed and you can find a deal. Just takes time , don't give up.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »
The Irish shot head is the way to go is you really want consistent charges. Buckskin is usually too pliable for a shot snake, and will stretch a lot when carried with a pound of shot in it. The buckskin has a tendency to tear out where the snake and the head join.

Hungry Horse

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:01 AM »
The Irish shot head is the way to go is you really want consistent charges. Buckskin is usually too pliable for a shot snake, and will stretch a lot when carried with a pound of shot in it. The buckskin has a tendency to tear out where the snake and the head join.

Hungry Horse

Thanks, this is good data!

Offline Gun Butcher

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:30:24 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-3-Vintage-Brass-Powder-Flask-Measures-/232376047791?hash=item361ab118af

Here is a link to some on eBay the top two are English and the bottom is Irish.
Might give you a place to start.

Here is one I made about 20 yrs ago and I am going to work on it again one of these days.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:56:23 AM by Gun Butcher »
Member Honorable Company of Horners
Member of the CLA

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Anything that has a valve capable of metering shot ain't going to be cheap. That being said, nothing else I have seen at Rendezvous, or in the field, works.
 These are not a walk in the park to install on a bag, or snake, so they do end up in the parts bins at shops,and traders tables. Most of the time the new owners know how expensive they are, and price them accordingly.
 The weight of just a small amount of shot put a tremendous strain on the leather at the neck of the snake, so stitching should be saddle stitch(double needle), and all seams should be welted.

Hungry Horse

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 01:25:48 AM »
Headed to Dixon's Gun maker's Fair in July so I will be on the lookout for one there. 

Offline Clear Spring Armory

• Clear Spring Armory FaceBook Page
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 10:15:39 PM »
Here is an alternative for an expensive brass head. Turned cow horn with a wood stopper that doubles as a measure. Pull the stopper, turn it around, fill, dump in barrel, replace. Its been on a lot of rabbit hunts. This one is made with commercial tanned deer hide and has held up well, but it is small and doesn't hold much more than I might use in one day in the field. A larger one may stretch and tear, as mentioned above.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:17:11 PM by Clear Spring Armory »