Author Topic: Looking for help with identifying this rifle  (Read 773 times)

Offline jmm76

• Starting Member
Looking for help with identifying this rifle
« on: April 13, 2024, 02:47:15 PM »
My father recently passed away and I'm working through his older rifles. One rifle in his possession is supposed to be the rifle carried by Theodoreus 'Dory' Mellot as a member of the Bedford Co Militia during the American Revolutionary War. I'm trying to figure out if I found the correct rifle or if we need to keep searching. Any help identifying this rifle would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

Offline Hlbly

Re: Looking for help with identifying this rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2024, 03:11:39 PM »
This gun is European, but it shows American usage. It is old enough to have been carried then, but nothing tells me it actually was.

Offline Niall

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2024, 10:16:43 PM »
Has it been reconverted to a flintlock from percussion ???

Offline jmm76

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2024, 04:25:14 AM »
My father told me that the family rifle was in original state so if this is the correct rifle then I don't think that the lock has been converted from flintlock to percussion and back to flintlock (but of course one can never be certain).

From the little I can find online there was a German gunsmith by the name Freund but I can't tell if the carving in the lock matches the period work.

Thanks for the information.
Jim

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2024, 04:31:09 PM »
 That gun was never a percussion gun

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2024, 04:48:55 PM »
That is a Siler cock and pan on that lock, so it has been reconverted. I couldn't say if it were caried in the Rev war or not, I think it's a 1770-1780 germanic gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2024, 04:50:09 PM »
It may even go as late as 1790....
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2024, 04:53:10 PM »
That gun was never a percussion gun

I wouldn't bet money on that.
But in the end, it doesn't really matter.
John
John Robbins

Offline jmm76

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2024, 04:56:47 PM »
That is a Siler cock and pan on that lock, so it has been reconverted. I couldn't say if it were caried in the Rev war or not, I think it's a 1770-1780 germanic gun.

Would one keep the original lock plate and only replace the cock and pan?

Offline tooguns

• I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 04:59:41 PM »

Would one keep the original lock plate and only replace the cock and pan?
To keep as many original parts as possible...........
It is best to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove any and all doubt....

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 03:36:09 AM »
Hello Jim,   Well, I can tell you a lot of the story of your "family gun."   If I remember correctly your dad was a professor at Texas State Univ. I believe he taught something relating to agriculture.  He contacted me with questions about restoring the family rifle.  Inaddition to the restoration he wanted a copy of the rifle made as he wanted to hunt deer with it.   He mailed the original to my shop here in Emporium, PA, and I stabalized the break and replaced some missing wood.  Mike Brooks is correct I replaced the hammer and the pan etc. and returned it to flintlock.  Your dad believed that the gun had been used early in the Revolution at the siege of Boston.  I gave him information on Thompson's Riflemen which was one of the (9) rifle companys that PA provided for the Revolution.  Thompson's Riflemen were from the Western PA (Pittsburg area)  and participated in the siege at Boston.  Your dad was going to research that avenue.  After restoring the original I did build a bench copy of the gun.  Just prior to finishing the bench copy, I received information that your dad had a stroke, and was paralized on his left side.  He would not be able to hunt with the bench copy I was completing.  I assured the caller that there was no need for them to purchase the copy.  We made arrangements and I returned the original to your family.  I still have the bench copy and find it a really nice rifle and I love telling the history of the gun as I know it.   
I still have the original photos and specs of the gun as sent to me by your father.  He was nice gentleman and a joy to talk to and discuss the possible history of your gun.  This is the information that gives a gun a soul and your family gun certainly has a soul.  P.S. I have photos of the copy if you are ever interested.
Sincerely Ron Luckenbill www.ReCreatingHistory.com
« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 05:13:30 PM by Lucky R A »
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 03:56:14 AM »
WOW, how awesome is that?

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 06:51:26 AM »
Cool German gun and I love the box cavity.  100% a reconversion with Siler parts as noted above.  100%.  Someone did a pretty good job with filing the pan, although it could use more aging and a touch more reshaping.  The cock and spring I'd toss and find something better-suited and less Siler-like.  Overall piece looks in pretty good shape.  I think it's 1780s-ish.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 04:51:09 PM »
Mike Brooks is correct
Someday everyone will finally believe that. Until then I just do what I can..... ::)

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2024, 05:25:41 PM »
Mike Brooks is correct
Someday everyone will finally believe that. Until then I just do what I can..... ::)

So in the meantime, which stooge are you?  I modify my stooge identity issues day-to-day.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline jmm76

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2024, 05:26:17 PM »
Lucky R A (Ron),

I'm definitely interested in any information you have about the rifle and conversations you had with my father about the rifle. I'll send you a pm with my contact information but also feel free to post up pictures and information in this thread if you think others would find it interesting.

Do you remember when he sent the rifle to you for work? I'm curious because in summer of 2021 he told me he wanted me to have the rifle when he passed away and look into whether it was restorable and get copies made for my 5 other siblings. He'd just had his 2nd or 3rd stroke Christmas of 2020 so he might have forgotten sending it to you.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2024, 06:43:59 PM »
Mike Brooks is correct

So in the meantime, which stooge are you?  I modify my stooge identity issues day-to-day.
I'll go with Shemp. My Grandpa Brooks looked just like him anyway! 8)

Offline jmm76

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:07:57 AM »
So,  after speaking with Ron (Lucky R A) if anyone is interested Ron has an older post in which he shows the rifle in the state it was delivered to him for restoration and a copy he made off the rifle. It did start life as a flintlock, was converted to percussion, and Ron converted it back to flintlock with the Siler lock which my father chose so that's the way it will stay.

Based on the information my father provided Ron and what my father told me, the rifle was carried by my ancestor in the Revolutionary War as a Continental Ranger in Western Pa. He was one of three brothers who served in Thompson's rifle battalion.

These are pictures of the state of the rifle when shipped to Ron:

This is a link to Ron's post about the copy:
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=71519.msg714458#msg714458