Author Topic: 32 cal ramrod groove size  (Read 3439 times)

Maineshops

32 cal ramrod groove size
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:57:25 AM »
What should the ramrod groove size be for my 32 cal builds. I'm guessing .312 ?
I've got one more barrel to inlet and I'll be to that point. Tx dan

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: 32 cal ramrod groove size
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 02:20:55 AM »
You did not say what diameter or profile barrel you are using.  .312 will definitely work but a .250 will give your rifle a much slimmer profile.  We tend to build rifles with much larger rods than many of the originals.  I think that is to compensate for the tighter loads we tend  use in comparison to what was originally used.  My two cents worth.
David   

Offline helwood

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 02:58:03 AM »
I concur with Dave.  I made three Lukens Air Rifles, .32cal. and the ramrods  were .25".
Later, Hank

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 03:26:55 AM »
We tend to build rifles with much larger rods than many of the originals. I think that is to compensate for the tighter loads we tend  use in comparison to what was originally used.

I can't speak to the difference in size between modern and period practice, but if this is so then another possible reason might be that modern folks are used to thinking about wood strength in terms of modern sawn dowels rather than split or coppiced rods.

Of course, when replicating older technology it seems the we tend to overbuild everything except perhaps the barrel and lock. It isn't just guns, either, but swords, knives, tomahawks...
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Maineshops

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
The barrel is a standard straight octagonal barrel .831 across flats. I'm following no perticular pattern so I can take a little poetic liscense with it. I'll be making the ramrods out of ash if they work out. I make arrows out of red cedar for my wife and my 20 lb bows and they come out good.
I have a .250 ball nose cutter so I'll give that a go.. I appreciate your input as I know very little about what I'm doing Dan

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
Might be a heavy gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline okieboy

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:36:33 PM »
.831? Are you sure it isn't .8125 plus or minus?
Okieboy

Maineshops

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:37:53 PM »
Bench gun?..... at my age I can't hold it up any way😉..I just got the second barrel inletted. I may have messed up a tad. I didn't draw file the darrels befor I inletted them so they will be a little loose?
I understand I drill a couple of .062 holes from the barrel channel into the ramrod channel for reference? Dan

Maineshops

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 07:43:11 PM »
One barrel is .831 and the other is .824 give or take .003.  They look like they were Blanchard ground.
It looks like they are using all their manufacturing tolerances. 😁

Maineshops

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 08:02:28 PM »
David.....you mention tight loads that we use today. Can you expand that for me.
I have .320 barrel and a .310 ball. What thickness patch would use. I realize that there are other possible conditions us as rough bore etc. Dan...way up in northern Maine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 03:47:55 AM »
See "tight loads" and reasons why, in the shooting forum.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 06:28:03 AM »
I've seen 1/4" brass tubing used with small bore rifles. Where could a fellow find such. I've got a little 42" .25 Rayle barrel that I think I'd like to make a brass rr for. The tubing that I saw used was thick enough to thread for an 8-32  jag. Thanks.      Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Maineshops

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
I think I'll try the ash. I had a straight grained ash log on the sawmill a couple of years ago and made a couple of 20lb bows. I have some of that material left fromthat project.

Maineshops

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
I just read the tight loads post. Good information. I had forgotten about the working ramrod. I'll make some rods just to fit although I doubt if the kids will ever shoot them😉