Author Topic: Why tighter fitting loads?  (Read 32257 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime 小asual Dating
Re: Why tighter fitting loads?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
Ever see a NoExcuses conical? They fit so loose they almost fall down the bore. Yet are one of the most accurate bullets you can shoot.

What proof do you have that a ball doesn't expand? Why wouldn't a soft pure lead ball expand? I can expand it by pushing one down on a hard surface with the heel of my hand. The force from the powder going off is much more than that.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:10 PM »
A test of round ball obturation might be recovering round balls found in the spring melt, and measuring them.  But even shooting into water will change the shape of a ball...perhaps snow does the same.  Just thinking 'out loud'.
A slug that is bore sized at the breech, made of soft lead, will obturate and fill shallow rifling as in a BPCR.  But the slug may be over an inch in length and the base of the bullet is being smashed up against the rest of its length, so it obturates.  A round ball less so, but still, I'll bet there is some obturation there.
Most of the shooting I do is social - competition, in other words.  And often the difference between first and fourth, is how good your 'tie breaker' target is.  So, we load a combination that fills the bore to the bottom of the grooves, and with some compression there.  There are no burnt out or torn patches, and accuracy is at the rifle's maximum potential, shooter error making the difference.
I guess it all boils down to what your expectations and needs are...
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
A snug fitting Conical has much more MASS than a similar sized round ball, thus it is perhaps more easily obturated by the powder charge. I think in larger sizes, the ball likely does obturate, as in my Enfield, with progressive depth rifling which is .008" deeper in the breech than at the muzzle. Thus, a loaded patched ball, fills the .003" deep rifling at the muzzle, but as it is shoved down the bore, to sit on the powder charge, there is a .004" gap between the patched ball and the bottom of the grooves. Logic would tell us the patch would burn out, however this is not the case and collected fired patches are re-usable.

Too - my 20 bore short fowler has a standard (muzzle) choke, such that a patched ball started past the choke,  is very easy to shove down to the powder - thus, feels loose.  However, it's fired patches are also reusable - no scorches or burn marks on either, .58 nor .62.

One can only surmise that there MUST be some obturation. How much or if there is a calibre/ball weight cutt-off is not really known, however - I do know that my .50, if loaded with .495" ball and .020" (compressed) patch which produces no compression but fills to the bottom of each groove, shows scorch marks due to blow-by.  The LARGER & heavier .562 and .595" ball's patches do not.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:49:53 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 09:02:45 PM »
How tight can one load?

I had a .45 (actually .448" bore) Bauska barrel.  I still have a piece of it. This barrel has .028" deep rifling, per side, thus, the groove to groove in this 8 groove barrel measure .504".

My normal load for this rifle, was a .457" (.009" larger than the bore) pure lead ball and .022" denim patch.  .457" + .022" + .022" = .501", which did not get to the bottom of the grooves. However THIS load did not gas-cut or scorch- obturation due to the elongated tight fit?????

If the ball was started in the middle of a long strip of denim, then 'pulled', the ball had turned into what looked like a short, round ended slug (both round due to the cupped starter), with deep grooves on it's elongated sides. The ball had turned into a short conical due to the .448" bore of the rifle causing a LOT of lead movement. I placed in a Seneca Run with this rifle, using a loading block, but lost my short starter between the start (loaded) and the first target. When I went to load after the first shot, I found my starter gone, so I simply choked up on the rod and PRESSED that tight combination into the bore.  With a nicely radiused muzzle crown, it worked. It was slower than with the starter, but it worked. I was a mite yiounger and stronger back then, I guess.  I cannot envision doing that today, but suspect I might be able to, still.
Daryl

Lee44shootercnb

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:02 AM »
Residue from the black powder burnt and or unburnt
 What is GSR?

"Gunshot residue contains burned particles (potassium nitrite) and some unburned particles (potassium nitrate), and for decades criminal investigators collected these particles by applying melted paraffin wax to a subject抯 hands. Upon removal of the wax cast, a reagent containing diphenylamine and sulfuric acid was applied to the cast. The development of blue specks was indicative of the presence of nitrates.

But in the 1970s the courts took the position that the presence of nitrates in the environment was a common occurrence, and the dermal nitrate test was no longer a valid means to determine that the subject had fired a gun."

http://www.csitechblog.com/2011/01/gun-shot-residue-testingis-it-still-a-viable-form-of-physical-evidence.html

"I have not ever measured bullets lengths before and after firing, it would not be terribly difficult to measure to the .0001. I'll file that away for something to do one day.

I DO know that a remington 158 grain .357 dia hollow point gets shorter when you fire it from a 357 maximum, the nose swages out big enough that the bare lead rubs on the rifling..which is a .03: or so increase in dia in that area.

I know that from catching the bullets in polyester fiber fill, which wraps around the bullet and forms a sort of snowball. Those bullets were too hot to hold after firing too. Also the lyman 12 gauge slug that looks like a big airgun pellet collapses down into something that looks completely unlike what it started out as, and it gets hot as $#*! doing that. I saw some of those same slugs that people pulled from dead deer and they looked just like mine fire into fiber fill.

I decided to try the fiber fill because supposedly ballistics experimenters in the early days used "cotton waste" for the same thing, well I had no cotton waste, but I DID have fiber fill. I packed a steel pipe about 8" in dia with the contents of 2-3 bags of fiber fill, it would stop the 357 maximum bullets and the 12 gauge slugs just fine. The "snowballs" did hit the steel plate I had at the back end with a pretty good thump."

The above is from

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/newreply.php?s=0cfbf70eac697ff615ba34b3f05e8876&do=newreply&p=781189

Read the article....it's titles is

Do you believe that cast lead boolits obturate (swell up) upon firing?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 12:12:06 AM »
No one said cast bullets did not obturate.

It is/was suggested that round balls did not obturate or obturate very much, if of a certain size or smaller.  I believe I proved round balls obturated if sized .58 or larger- due to no scorching nor gas cutting on the patches of undersized .58's and .62's.
Daryl

Offline mark brier

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2017, 03:16:50 AM »
One thing to keep in mind about early barrels of say the rev war period were iron barrels. Wrought iron is dead iron with no stress variations like modern steels. Also I can also say with experience that period boring and reaming of the barrels always results in a tapered or slightly choked bore. I can attest to shallower rifling .008"-.010" square rifling in my forged barrels as being very highly accurate. Wrought iron is by nature soft with an almost velvet like texture that really grabs a patch and spins the ball.
Mark Brier

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 04:00:07 AM »
How tight can one load?

I had a .45 (actually .448" bore) Bauska barrel.  I still have a piece of it. This barrel has .028" deep rifling, per side, thus, the groove to groove in this 8 groove barrel measure .504".

My normal load for this rifle, was a .457" (.009" larger than the bore) pure lead ball and .022" denim patch.  .457" + .022" + .022" = .501", which did not get to the bottom of the grooves. However THIS load did not gas-cut or scorch- obturation due to the elongated tight fit?????

If the ball was started in the middle of a long strip of denim, then 'pulled', the ball had turned into what looked like a short, round ended slug (both round due to the cupped starter), with deep grooves on it's elongated sides. The ball had turned into a short conical due to the .448" bore of the rifle causing a LOT of lead movement. I placed in a Seneca Run with this rifle, using a loading block, but lost my short starter between the start (loaded) and the first target. When I went to load after the first shot, I found my starter gone, so I simply choked up on the rod and PRESSED that tight combination into the bore.  With a nicely radiused muzzle crown, it worked. It was slower than with the starter, but it worked. I was a mite yiounger and stronger back then, I guess.  I cannot envision doing that today, but suspect I might be able to, still.

.028 deep grooves? That would look like splines instead of rifling I'd think.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 04:42:33 AM »
How tight can one load?

If the ball was started in the middle of a long strip of denim, then 'pulled', the ball had turned into what looked like a short, round ended slug (both round due to the cupped starter), with deep grooves on it's elongated sides. The ball had turned into a short conical due to the .448" bore of the rifle causing a LOT of lead movement. I placed in a Seneca Run with this rifle, using a loading block, but lost my short starter between the start (loaded) and the first target. When I went to load after the first shot, I found my starter gone, so I simply choked up on the rod and PRESSED that tight combination into the bore.  With a nicely radiused muzzle crown, it worked. It was slower than with the starter, but it worked. I was a mite younger and stronger back then, I guess.  I cannot envision doing that today, but suspect I might be able to, still.

.028 deep grooves? That would look like splines instead of rifling I'd think.

Bob Roller

Yes it did, Bob. According to Les Bauska, the machine kept cutting instead of shutting down.  I took it for a test of REALLY deep rifling - it was accurate, but I had to use a ball that was .009" larger than the bore & the .022" denim patch.

Balls seated into the muzzle, them pulled out by the tails of the cloth, were elongated, deeply grooved and of course a bit heavy for the bore size. I suspect they might have obturated 'some', or maybe not.  They had NO Choice but to follow the grooves, that is for sure (& certain - [to coin a movie phrase]).
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:45:59 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline hudson

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »
Just a thought, if an undersized lightly patched ball (no impression of patch in the groves) was recovered and it showed the imprint of the weave of the patch in the grove part of the ball it might be assumed it did obdurate. I have a ball recovered from a deer though well mushroomed still shows the imprint of the patch.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
If the ball shows the imprint all the way around the ball, heavy from the lands and lighter from the grooves, yes- that should be proof of obturation - however, if the ball obturates & fills the grooves with thin non-sealing load combinations, why do guys get fouling buildup & have to wipe their bores when loading?  With the combinations we use, we never have to wipe the bore, no matter how many shots are fired.

Daryl

Offline yulzari

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
In the spherical ball, of given hardness, the obturation is a function of the ratio of mass to circumference.

In the case of a 'rolling' musket ball in a full size musket barrel David Harding's PhD research and tests show that there is a clear obturation mark to be observed on these large balls. The tiny @.32" balls have so much more circumference compared to their comparatively miniscule mass that any obturation would be too small to measure. With a notional 1% obturation for example, the .735" musket ball obturates @0.023" whereas the .31" ball @0.001". The mass that can act to give this notional 1% obturation is 13 times greater in the case of the musket ball to the .31" ball. Naturally intermediate sizes have intermediate results.

So the answer to the obturation issue is that @.32" balls must suffer some obturation but it is so small as to be irrelevant to us. More relevant is the density of the patch which is a larger potential variation. The patch fills the grooves and sets the ball tight between the patch material and the lands. Thus it acts more as a sabot than gas seal (gas always escapes past any hand loadable patch) so any variation in the patch material/grease will give you a sabot of varying diameter and rigidity in use. The greased chamois leather patch gives excellent performance as a seal but suffers from the normal variations in density and thickness of a natural material as a sabot.

Shallower grooving will reduce the issue to the point where a conical with a cylindrical portion in a matching fast twist would be best with a paper patch but then we are well down the road away from the best use of period practice and heading for repeating historical developments that will cause us to end up with breech loading cartridge rifles.

Personally I am of the opinion that the tight load is superior for accuracy as it squashes the given patch down to a consistent thickness. Nothing to do with effectiveness as a gas seal. However it is only an opinion as I have not experimented to investigate this. Possibly comparing the muzzle velocity of tight and looser patched shots will show the tighter ones to be more consistent?

JFI. When the British Baker Rifle went to war in the Iberian Peninsula the troops were issued with a wooden mallet. Not to force a naked ball into the bore but to force a patched 20 to the pound ball. In practice the soldiers, even as skirmishers, found this too much palalver and abandoned the wooden mallets and went over to using patched 22 to the pound balls that could be forced in with both hands on the heavy steel ramrod. Not entirely relevant to the discussion as they accepted reduced accuracy for ease of loading. 16th and 17th century European rifles sometimes came with an 'iron pin' to use with a hammer as a starter to force an overbore size naked ball into the barrel. Now that is tight loading and a sort of early use of a starter pre Long Rifle.

Daryl. I suspect that imprinting of the lands/grooves/ is from the loading process not the firing one. Of course one would have to devise some form of comparative experiment to form a definitive conclusion. I have (holds up guilty hand) drawn out a dry ball on occasion and found the imprint of the patch material and signs of the rifling but then that could be due to ball expansion from the drawing screw penetration.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:58:12 PM by yulzari »
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2017, 04:47:15 PM »
That could be checked with a bare barrel with no breech plug installed. Just push the patched ball all the way through.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
yulzari - very interesting & well thought out post, thankyou.

Your statement: "Personally I am of the opinion that the tight load is superior for accuracy as it squashes the given patch down to a consistent thickness. Nothing to do with effectiveness as a gas seal. However it is only an opinion as I have not experimented to investigate this. Possibly comparing the muzzle velocity of tight and looser patched shots will show the tighter ones to be more consistent?" is also interesting.

I have tested my ML rifles for velocity as have many others. My speeds seem 100fps to 200fps higher than what others have posted here - perhaps due to tighter loads due to less "blowby"- that obviously make sense.

In my .58Hawken back in the late 70's, early 80's using my Oehler model 12 Chronograph, I recorded sub 10fps variation in speeds using small loads and the rifle's favourite ones, 140gr. 2F with patched round balls. The balls were .005" under bore size and I used a .022:" (heavily compressed measure, denim patch) When I seated the ball in a strip of that material, then pulled it out using the cloth, the ball showed very heavy material imprint where the lands were, and now quite as heavy, but still deeply marked from the bottom of the grooves. There was 0 expansion of the ball in 'drawing' it out, as you noted in your post. I assume you run a ball-screw into the ball & pulled it with that- drawing it out of the bore - I did not do that. I have done this and yes, running a screw into a ball certainly does expand it and make it tighter to the grooves.

My .69 calibre rifle also runs variations in speed less than 10 fps, from low to high- usually 5 to 7fps variations. 

This is something old Sam does or did not understand, how someones tighter loads gave higher speeds than his did, because a patch by itself cannot seal - where he could only come close to that rifle if he used extra wadding behind his patched ball to help seal - he wrote that up in a digest or article, some time back.  One of the lads from the primitive riflemen group took him to task on his anti-gasget statement and lived close enough to challenge him with a chronograph.

I almost concede that it might not be possible to seal the powder gassed behind the ball with a cloth patch - but I am not totally convinced of this.  Looking at retrieved 12 or 14 ounce patches of mine with either the .682" pure lead ball, or the .675" WW alloy balls, shows NO, ie: 0 scorching of the cloth in the grooves. The patches are quite reuseable, in fact 3 of the shots in the group Taylor poster this AM, were with old used patches I found in my shooting box.

That combination measures: .682" + .030" = .030" = 742".  the groove to groove of that barrel is .714" - that is .028" LARGER than the groove to groove, meaning .014 = 14 though compression between the bottom of each groove and the lead of the ball, or super compression of the cloth.

The smaller, but harder WW balls still show 9 1/2 thou. compression in the bottom of each groove.  Now- pull that out and there are heavily impressed cloth marks all the way around the ball, where the cloth is impressed into the ball- pulled out with the cloth, not a screw run in to expand them.

The 14 ounce denim at .036" compressed thickness a bit tighter loading (shoots better), but fine, even with the rifle's rod, which I was using as Taylor was using my 'range' rod to save the original rod from the possibility of breakage.  The 14 ounce gives an extra .003" compression to the above #'s, ie: .017 compression to the .682" pure lead ball and .012" to the WW ball.

I am quite adamant that these loads both likely seal.

Maybe the right flier shot out of my group (otherwise sub 1" group), opening it up to 2" or more, was one of those old patches - or not? Could just as easily have been my 67 year old eyes.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »
No need to guess Daryl. Why not test two loads for velocity and accuracy on the same gun and powder load? A normal fit that most use and your tight fit load.

That should settle it for all of us.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2017, 03:45:04 AM »
I just measured the original target, those 4 shots in the shooting the Lang thread Taylor put up, were not under an inch - it was 1.052" - so, sorry for the mistake, it's not very good, after all. ;) Wonder wha tit would have been, had it been only 100yards, not 109 yards?  ::)

It's almost difficult for me to shoot a useless load like that, Old Mtn. Man.  To me, it is a waste of powder and shot and does nothing but foul the barrel.  Not used to that. Now, in testing loads, I have oft times started too thin for a particular barrel, like my .69 GRRW tube, which is quite rough from boring or a very dull reamer after boring.  That is evident by the cross-reamer marks - this barrel, due to the roughness (might have smoothed up just a big over the thousands of shots it's made) likes a tight patch - thus, the .030 and .036" denim patches, 12 and 14 ounce material.
The thin patches do have damage, scorch from blow-by, or burn through marks, but NEVER have I had to wipe the tube before I could reload it. That is just weird. 

So- I guess what I am saying is, even when I use a patch that does not shoot well, becomes damaged and does not present me with a re-useable patch, the bore still does not foul badly - the result is the gun just does not shoot well enough to satisfy me.

Taylor refused to re-work the crown on his J. Lang. In some ways, I understand, however, personally, I would smooth it a bit, to make it stop cutting the patches on every land (10 small narrow holes).  IT was not burning at all on the cuts,  thus these first patches he tried seemed to be working OK, however the cuts on every land is bothersome & seemingly any increase in pressure will likely destroy them, ruining accuracy. There were the odd light scorch marks in the grooves.  Just a bit of smoothing might prevent that and improve things.
Daryl

Offline yulzari

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
Thank you for the comments Daryl.

One must remember that cloth imprints on the ball are a function of the crush of the ball on the land. The cloth in the groove will be less crushed even if they also display some cloth imprinting. When the rifling is visible in the imprinting (ie you can see the mark of the rifling) then the ball is being held in the lands and the patch is filling the grooves. If the rifling is indenting the ball then the ball is being deformed both in the grooving of the vertical circumference and in the crushing of the same deforming the sphere with a grooved belt.

Reverting to opinion and not experimentally tested conclusions, I would prefer that the ball be held tight (cloth imprinted all round) thus being held in a patch sabot to one where the ball flies free but is physically deformed by crushing into the rifling. The latter would be a true 'tight' load to be sure. However, this may be the point at which the loading is becoming so difficult that we abandon the attempt or deform the ball by the pressure used to force it into the bore. I therefore suspect (deliberate use of weaselly words to avoid claiming proof) that the 'tight' load to which we have referred is the good 'sabot' load, the 'loose' load is with the patch not being fully crushed onto the land thus still having some give and allowing the ball to move slightly in the grip of the patch and thus vary in it's exit. Not much but some slight amount and not stripping in the rifling. The 'true tight' load is one that will be so tight that the ball deforms either by the rifling digging in and/or by the force needed to load it. Maybe one could do some form of experiment to compare the force of loading to the varying patch thicknesses and their variations in muzzle velocity and accuracy at a given range in a constant wind/humidity and temperature. Then examination of the patches and ball would show what is the optimum form. On the other hand, to quote Shirley Conran, "life is too short to stuff mushrooms".

All the (few) slow motion videos I have seen of patched balls exiting the muzzle show the hot gasses exiting the muzzle well before the ball/patch appears so I am happy to accept that no cloth or leather patch will be a complete or even good gas seal.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:05 PM »
Is any muzzleloader load sealed? Have we seen bullets leaving the muzzle for not only a PRB, but conicals, paper patched conicals/ What about modern plastic sabots? What about cartridge loads? Do any of them show the bullet ahead of all gases out the muzzle?

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
It has always been my opinion that the gases seen exiting before the projectiles of tight ML loads and CF rifles/pistols were simply that volume of air already in the bore before firing.
TC
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:47:18 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
Is any muzzleloader load sealed? Have we seen bullets leaving the muzzle for not only a PRB, but conicals, paper patched conicals/ What about modern plastic sabots? What about cartridge loads? Do any of them show the bullet ahead of all gases out the muzzle?

Standing bear has a point, as well, the velocity of released gasses from behind the ball or bullet is so great, they pass the bullet or ball immediately upon the projectile leaving the muzzle.  A coned muzzle would show this even prior to the projectile leaving or getting close (depending on the cone's depth) to the muzzle. As to whether ANY cloth patched ball can seal completely? 

My paper ctgs. appear to seal, with that wadded up paper beneath the ball, which is held tightly to the lands by the double layer of paper all the way around it. That they, even a WW alloy gives identical accuracy to pure lead in the same ctg.s shows the ball is turning from the tight fit against the lands, the bunched, wadded up paper seemingly sealing.  If it did not seal, one must think perhaps the paper would catch fire- it does not- in my loads, not in buddy Keith's loads, Bruce's loads or Dphar's paper patched loads - thus, THEY appeared to be sealing. Gasses flowing past a cast bullet, actually melt the lead which is well past the burning temps for paper and cloth as well. Really loose fitting patches used by people who have to wipe due to fouling buildup, cannot be found, due to ending up as incinerated shards of cloth - those I have seen, almost nothing left - saw a whisp of smoke and there was a piece (at Hefley) burning away. THAT is dangerous - obviously, proving that powder gasses are not sealed. What about those of us who can use the same patch for 5 loads and who's rifles are capable of shooting sub 2" groups at 100 yards, better than some modern rifles with scopes.

Do they seal?? I do not know for sure, however I do know I can shoot a tight group with used patches - at 100 meters or further - that I have done, even to the point of shooting a 5 shot 1" group at 50 yards, with the same single patch.

The .036" (14oz.) patches I used for the 100 yard group, I placed in my shooting box again, for when I forget to bring my patches - "again".

I hear you yulzari, concerning the deformation of the ball by making it fit so tightly into the bore. That I understand and that is actually covered in Forsyth's 1863 book. He talks about the standard fast twists of the day requiring tighter and tighter holds on the ball in the rifling to promote what he calls "resist stripping", as I think he assumes poor accuracy means stripping. The tighter and tighter loads, to the extreme of mechanically fitted balls as in belted balls being necessary- to give good accuracy with dangerous game loads, which are necessarily greater than NA deer, moose or elk loads.

That my rifle shoots well with such deformation of the ball is rather interesting.  If I seat a ball into the muzzle, then withdraw it by pulling it out, the nose is a little less perfectly round that the base, however due to the use of the short starter's cupped ends, both for the long shaft and the short stub, the ball is rather non-deformed by the rudeness of which I assaulted it with, simply putting it into the bore. Yes - the balls had ratcheted impressions of the lands into the ball. Yes, these must as Forsyth says, impact upon the atmosphere - we KNOW today, they degrade ballistic coefficient, but that is a moot point at the ranges we normally shoot, ie: less than 300 meters.  My .69 hits the 20 meter place out at our long range facility quite easily - Taylor was there when I was ringing it repeatedly, last summer  The plate is about 16" square - it's a large target.
Daryl

Offline yulzari

« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2017, 01:31:01 AM »
Yes, Forsyth was complaining that people were using twists far too fast for a spherical ball in a search for accuracy and the balls were stripping as they skipped the rifling. He noted that people were countering this by reducing the charges  thus increasing the arc of the ball and making range estimation so difficult that they were using them at shorter ranges. One popular response was the smooth bore 'ball gun' which allowed large charges which were about as accurate at the ranges folk were reduced to and he advocated exceedingly slow twists to allow large charges which is fair as a well made spherical ball needs little spin. All of this was overtaken by the shallow groove hard lead long conical bullets of the 'Express Rifle' which went for a light bullet with a large charge to flatten the trajectory and the breech loading. We see shades of this in modern reproduction ML rifles where slow twists are restricted to patched balls whilst fast twists need conicals to perform at all. I am of the opinion that the compromise twists (classically 1 turn in 48) would be improved by either choosing a slower twist and accepting the spherical ball with it's arching trajectory or going to the other extreme with conicals only. Having said that I recall being told that the Boers found muzzle loading their Monkey Tails with a patched ball very effective on small game even with a .44" ball and a 1 turn in 20 for when used as a breech loader so who knows?

I am looking forward to confusing my colleagues one day by entering my Monkey Tail cavalry carbine in both BP breech loading rifle competition and then the same gun in the rifled muzzle loader class.

However, I wander far from the OP.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2017, 03:38:21 AM »
The monkey-tail action's "chamber" did not hold much powder. Since it is a breech loader, it is not a muzzle loader, thus might not be allowed in a muzzle loader contest.  I would have NO fears or concerns of shooting against it with about any rifle I have, given reasonable distances. 

I recall reading about them (US Army) in .69 calibre where the soldiers were attempting to get the entire 135gr. issue paper ctg. powder into the chamber just didn't work and they bound up in short time due to fouling and failure to close the action.  The guns were shipped without any direction from the makers as to ball and powder charge size.

Forsyth's position on slow, shallow groove with V-narrow lands ("almost knife edged"- his words) rifling holding the ball just fine, was likely quite correct.  A 1/4 turn 24" to 26" bls. to a turn in 10' or even one turn in 12' as he said, the ball was more accurate, the more powder was put behind it.  That, in itself makes sense and there then would be more likelihood of the ball's obturation to cause it to fill the grooves with heavier charges, as well as spinning the ball without stripping or "tripping over the rifle".  Too - the more gradual the 'slope' of the rifling, the more prone the ball would be to follow, rather than stripping.

In my 66" twist .69, the rifle shoots as well with 120gr. as it does with 200- however, 140gr. is a LOT easier to shoot.

In testing the premise of smooth bores delivering higher speeds, we did not achieve higher speeds with a smooth bore .62, than with a rifled .62, using the same charges, in our tests.

Accurate shooting can be done with about any gun's twist rate using round balls or short conicals for that matter, given reasonable rifling depth and IF the charge/speed is appropriate to the rate of twist for that projectile.

With light charges of smokeless, round balls work fine in such modern guns as model 1873 Springfields or other guns of decent bore size, chambered for similar rounds - with 18" to 22" twist rates.

My 10" .54 pistol has a 66" twist.  It shoots very well indeed (2 1/2" at 50 yards), if I stuff 55gr. 3f into it with a .018" cotton (compressed) patched .526" ball in it's .530" bore, .554" grooves. Kicks rather like my modern .44 mag. as it's running 1,200fps, but is accurate & easy loading.  It's 218gr. round ball matches my short .44 mag. with it's ammo quite closely.  With normal pistol loads in the 20gr. to 25gr. range, that gun is horridly inaccurate.  That is only .004" compression in the bottom of the grooves, but the gun seems to seal and shoots cleanly.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:30:00 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline yulzari

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
The Westley Richards Monkey Tail paper cartridge held 55 grains in carbine form and 68 grains in rifle form. Civilian ones were sold with a specific muzzle loading bullet mould but thrifty Boer farmers stuck with the patched round ball. You just ram a felt wad down the octagonal bore to seat on the breech plunger and load from the muzzle as normal. I will leave the diverted subject alone now.

Offline flehto

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
To no one in particular.....I think  this topic has  has wandered  off topic as many do. Daryl....the patching you use  yields very tight loads which is something I avoid and I daresay  as do many others because of the very hard loading and which also re-instates the OP's question. How come the  loads used yrs ago could be loaded w/o a short starter, were supposedly accurate  from the few accounts that have survived and today we need short starters to load thick patched  combos that attempt to seal the deep grooves found on many modern bbls {.016}.

As to RB expansion...obturation is the sealing off of a bore  which is done w/ the patch and I think that w/ the deep grooves of today's bbls, this doesn't happen unless one uses very thick patches which aren't practical.  The pressures produced w/  average BP loads is low and although there might be some expansion of the RB, I don't think  it's of any consequence in sealing the grooves.

A RB that displays the weave imprint  from the grooves   would be extremely difficult to load and therefore not practical and using the deep groves of today's bbls makes this situation nearly impossible.

I do shoot fairly tight loads in bbls w/ .016 deep grooves that require a short starter and the patches do touch the bottom of the grooves by a few .001s in an attempt to seal the grooves, but I don't think I  eliminate blowby....only reduce it some

Personally, I think grooves .006-.008 deep would yield  efficient, accurate easy loading PRB loads  which would eliminate a short starter.   My shallow grooved  .45 Douglas bbl w/ PRBs does that.....Fred 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:47:36 PM by flehto »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
Fred......... You don't seem to like any of the answers given and think shallow grooves is the answer. You want to know why we need a short starter now and they didn't in the old days. Yet, they used deep grooves back then and didn't use a short starter.

Does this make sense to you?