Author Topic: Acraglas Release Agent  (Read 5355 times)

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
Acraglas Release Agent
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:30:26 PM »
I need to make a repair to a stock by gluing some wood back on that I shouldn't have cut off the top of the forestock.   :-[  Ive got a nearly new package of Acraglas, but the bottle of release agent seems pretty small.  I was wondering if there's an alternative that can be used, like grease or WD40 to keep the barrel from being glued into the stock.  Thanks for your replies.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline conquerordie

Re: Acraglas Release Agent
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 05:38:06 PM »
I use Johnson's Paste wax last time. Put a coat on, let it sit for a few minutes, and then put more on. Worked great.
Greg

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
Wrap the barrel tightly with Saran Wrap before inserting it into the stock.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
A friend of mine uses PAM, that spray on stuff used on baking pans and cookie sheets. Haven't tried it myself.

Dale H

n stephenson

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »
Dale, Did he specify "butter flavor".  Just playing!!!   I have a can of the generic oven spray that I use. It`s about half the price of PAM  and, works good.      Nate
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:34:53 PM by n stephenson »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:05 PM »
I use Johnson's Paste wax last time. Put a coat on, let it sit for a few minutes, and then put more on. Worked great.
Greg
This is what I do also -- works every time. I have not tried the Saran Wrap so I can't comment but there has to be a very slight gap from the thickness of the wrap probably negligible :-\?. I've had DISASTROUS results using Acraglas release agent - I now avoid it like the plague >:( :(
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Hemo

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
Brownell's sells an Acraglas release agent in a spray can which I've used on many occasions. It works well, but I don't know if it works any better than PAM or Johnson's wax, and it's certainly more expensive.

Gregg

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »
For my last job I used the green liquid that is used for boat work.  Boat shops sell epoxy and polyesther resing for hull fabrication and repair.  The release agent they sell works very well.

I cleaned the metal with lacquer thinner.  Painted on the green liquid, and then dried it with a heat gun (i'm impatient).  After I took the action out of the stock, took a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet.  After, the green film came off like Saran wrap. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:01:56 PM »
Hi,
The paste wax will work just fine but put two coats on and let it dry before going forward.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
When bedding with epoxy, I use a thin film of axle grease. This has worked for me very well since the early 70's.  For the thinner products like Acra-Glass, their little bottle of greenish release agent has worked just fine. I use Pleistocene(SP?) putty to fill in screw holes or other places I do not want the bedding to migrate into. The release agent dries to a thin plastic skin.  With just a barrel, cellophane or saran or shrink foot wrapping will also work well, if kept tight.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
For my last job I used the green liquid that is used for boat work.  Boat shops sell epoxy and polyesther resing for hull fabrication and repair.  The release agent they sell works very well.

I cleaned the metal with lacquer thinner.  Painted on the green liquid, and then dried it with a heat gun (i'm impatient).  After I took the action out of the stock, took a couple of wacks with a rubber mallet.  After, the green film came off like Saran wrap.

Sounds like what everyone in our group uses, although here it's a purple colored figerglass release agent we get at the local West Marine store.  Pint was under $10 and lasts what seems like forever.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

g2608671@verizon.net

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:12:37 AM »
Having had a bad experience with Acuraglass migrating beyond its intended application area, I use a thin coat of Petroleum Jelly and overdo the spread.  Also, I use plain old children's play clay to fill the voids and spread the Petroleum Jelly over these area.

Turtle

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:10 AM »
I use a plain old candle. I rub it on all the areas where I don't mean it to stick. never had a problem.
                                                       Turtle

Offline horsetrader

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 06:05:21 AM »
Neutral shoe polish. Put a coat on, let dry, buff off. Repeat. Works great.
Ed Radzinski

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 04:03:27 PM »
I'm in the Johnson paste wax camp. I have never had a problem with it. Alway do two coats. Saw several guns ruined using WD40 as a release agent. I too would consider some sort of alignment pins to help race up the break.
 Beautiful gun, likely Richard Wilsons work.

Hungry Horse

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 08:56:37 PM »
Those little bottles should be enough for 4-5 rifles.
I've used Johnson's Wax, PAM, but will use the regular Agragel release when I have it. 
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2017, 01:50:13 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies.  I wound up using axle grease.  I drilled a hole through the stock from under the breech plug tang to near where the trigger will be and used a piece of music wire to punch the breech area out of the stock.  It too, had a coat of grease on it.  Everything worked great, no problems.  Thanks again!
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."