Author Topic: Just finished up  (Read 13217 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Just finished up
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »
Mike, when I related my experience in healing it was not unique to me but common to almost all my friends who had the same surgery.

It will get better, like you I couldn't get comfortable and never slept longer than 30 minutes at a time before I had to try to find another position.

In three months you will start to see things turn around for the better, six months and you will only get sore when you over extend your range of motion, in a year you will be glad you had the surgery but will do everything you can to keep from having your other shoulder worked on.
Thanks for the info. Just got back from PT and I'm in so much pain from last Thursdays PT they took it easy on me today. Just a deep massage and hooked me up to an electric shocker gizmo with an ice pack. It does feel some better now. Past few days it has had a catch in it and has felt like it was about to dislocate with very little movement. This has been a real test of my patience.... ??? Equally as hard to deal with is the BOREDOM! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »
Hang in there Mike,its a long process when your no spring chicken anymore.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 12:38:39 AM »
You'll get there.  Just don't overdo it good sir.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Marc

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 01:59:42 AM »
Mike, when I related my experience in healing it was not unique to me but common to almost all my friends who had the same surgery.

It will get better, like you I couldn't get comfortable and never slept longer than 30 minutes at a time before I had to try to find another position.

In three months you will start to see things turn around for the better, six months and you will only get sore when you over extend your range of motion, in a year you will be glad you had the surgery but will do everything you can to keep from having your other shoulder worked on.
Thanks for the info. Just got back from PT and I'm in so much pain from last Thursdays PT they took it easy on me today. Just a deep massage and hooked me up to an electric shocker gizmo with an ice pack. It does feel some better now. Past few days it has had a catch in it and has felt like it was about to dislocate with very little movement. This has been a real test of my patience.... ??? Equally as hard to deal with is the BOREDOM! :o

Not much fun to just sitting and watching the crack in the plaster
get longer is it? Been there and done that years ago. :-\

Bob Roller

Offline Joe Stein

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 04:13:04 AM »
Mike, I had pretty much the same surgery as you last September.  I had that catch in my shoulder, too. Once the physical terrorists got through stretching the muscle and tendon out it disappeared.  Hang in there, it will get better. Don't push things and tear that tendon loose again. 
-Joe Stein

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
I had so much painful popping and cracking I was sure I had been ruined by the surgery but it all went away as I healed.

I had a pinched nerve that made me feel like I was hooked up to the electrical stimulator most of the time. This went on for almost a year until I put my neck in traction by hanging upside down and relaxing my neck muscles to let the weight of my head pull on my cervical vertebra. A month of this homemade therapy cleared up my nerve problem. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
Well thanks guys that's encouraging...something I could use right now. ;) It's pretty bad this AM, gotta hit some pain pills and an ice bag and see how the rest of the day pans out.

A couple weeks ago this was going along pretty fair, now I guess I've run of into the weeds... ???
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 06:51:30 PM »
A couple weeks ago this was going along pretty fair, now I guess I've run of into the weeds... ???

Weeds?  WEEDS?  That stuff is very good for pain but don't buy it on a street from undocumented pharmacists.  ::)

Been there; done that.  It will heal and will need to be babied a good while after that.  No bench presses, throwing baseballs, boat rowing, boxing, climbing trees or other foolish stuff.  I'm surprised how common these shoulder injuries are.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 03:05:01 AM »
Beautiful fowler as always. Great architecture and the stock couldn't have come out any better. You must have used your good arm! Good luck with the rehab. Hang in there.

Offline EC121

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 07:54:46 PM »
Good days and bad days are part of it.  My wife has had both knees replaced.  We went through some bad days during therapy, but  a year later she didn't regret doing it.
Brice Stultz

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Hope you're feeling better, Mike...  Great looking Fowler!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »
Even though it's different in concept from mine, I pretty much like everything you do.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
Mike, Once again you capture my image of everything a fowling piece should be about. Lovely architecture and the wood came out wonderfully!! 

Hope the shoulder feels better soone. Get rid of that vegan diet .......... and eat lots of protein!! maybe some chasing hammer work will help??  Oh well my ideas are probably not much help but I am pleased to see you here!! and with such a nice gun!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2017, 06:15:26 AM »
Mike, I had a total shoulder replacement (right) six years ago. The rehab was painful but I was diligent in doing everything they asked of me. The results have been fantastic.  Great range of motion and totally pain free after the rehab.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2017, 05:08:24 PM »
Thanks for the comments. You wouldn't believe how anxious I am to get back to it.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
Mike you mentioned earlier that you had never taken a vacation, well just sit back and pretend this is one! I understand how you feel I went through a similiar time with my back operation, all I could do was follow Dr's orders and do the PT's exercises, hated it but now that its all in the past and I am pain free (back anyway :) ) I am glad I had it done.
Good luck with this one and the next one you said was coming later.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 12:22:45 AM »
Mike you mentioned earlier that you had never taken a vacation, well just sit back and pretend this is one! I understand how you feel I went through a similiar time with my back operation, all I could do was follow Dr's orders and do the PT's exercises, hated it but now that its all in the past and I am pain free (back anyway :) ) I am glad I had it done.
Good luck with this one and the next one you said was coming later.
Dennis
Thanks. Went to see the Doc last Friday. Said I was 1/2 way there, 6 more weeks to go. I was more than a little bummed with that info and told him so. He said I was doing well and would be making some real measurable progress I could see starting in a couple weeks. He's already hot to do the right shoulder in November..... Gives me pause going back into this all over again, but I gotta have shoulders to work and the cortisone shots aren't a sure fix so.....back under the knife we go!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 01:29:43 AM »
I know this is not an option with the kind of surgery that you had but my brother-in-law (and at least 3 others that I know) had both of their knee's replaced at once. My brother-in-law told me and the doctors that he knew himself wll enough that if he had only one done and it hurt like others described, that he would probably never have the other one done. He went through terrible pain but he said if he had to do it over he would still do both at once!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 02:37:41 AM »
I know this is not an option with the kind of surgery that you had but my brother-in-law (and at least 3 others that I know) had both of their knee's replaced at once. My brother-in-law told me and the doctors that he knew himself wll enough that if he had only one done and it hurt like others described, that he would probably never have the other one done. He went through terrible pain but he said if he had to do it over he would still do both at once!
Dennis
I suggested both at once early on, but the Docs just laughed at me. I think doing both at the same time I'd have had to have been in a hospital just for care. There are some things a guy has  to have at least one hand for.... ??? My Mother busted both of her wrists at the same time, she had to have her sestra come and live with her until she could take care of her own "personal business".

Offline EC121

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 04:42:40 AM »
My wife's doctor said that doing both knees at once puts too much "trash" in your blood.  Bone dust, blood clots, etc. and whatever else is generated by the cutting.  That "trash" can end up in your lungs.  Doing one at a time gives the body time to clear itself between injuries.  I think because she knew what to expect, her second knee recovered twice as fast with less pain.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:44:39 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Don Adams

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »
Mike,

Hang in there.  My father in law had his shoulder repaired several years ago and is doing well.  He was in a lot of pain in the beginning but he was determined to do what the physical therapist told him to do.  Orthopedic surgery is not for the faint of heart - it is very brutal and traumatic experience on the body.
Do those spider on the wall exercises when they tell you to.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
That is one eye-popping fowling piece!!!!
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!