Author Topic: Inletting set up  (Read 3288 times)

Maineshops

Inletting set up
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:35:37 AM »

First attempt at posting image.
Inletting set up. Perhaps there will be some interest on the progress of these builds and better yet some guidance from those with experience. Thanks Dan

Offline Carl Young

Re: Inletting set up
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:21:18 AM »
Nice looking set up...is it for straight barrels only as currently configured? I'd like to see and hear more about your plans.
I also noticed a common item in my shop, an empty ice cream bucket :P

Thanks for posting the photo, I hope this generates a lot of feedback, as a local community college machining program is considering a longrifle as a project elective.

Regards,
Carl
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:44:46 AM »
   That is pretty much how I mill the top of the wood flat. I also use about the same set up to mill the ramrod channel. But for a swamped barrel it seems easiest to just cut it with chisels by hand. More fun also. I bet it would work great for a straight barrel.

Maineshops

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
This is how I made the plank true and square

The router is missing in this pic. Shimmed up the stock to a average plane and surfaced it . Slow but works good

Maineshops

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 03:18:20 PM »
I guess the router is in the pic. Eyes are getting old🙁.

Maineshops

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:30:54 PM »
I'll flip the stock over to do the ramrod groove.
I don't se why I coulden't shim up the fixture to do swamped barrels. Just a big sine bar

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 06:32:54 PM »
Looks like a big shop - nice to have all that room and machinery -- good luck with your projects ;).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »
 That's real neat.  Sure don't look like Jacob Dickert 's shop but He sure wished he had it I bet.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Barry Myers

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 03:25:44 AM »
Mainshoppes, that first photo is really interesting.  Have you considered putting holes in the upright piece of wood for the c clamps so that they come up from underneath the stock and not be in the way when you are milling the channel?  You a thought.

Barry

Maineshops

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
Barry ....I did think of that about the fourth time I switched a clamp but as lazy as I am I blew it off however I will take your advice when I do the rr grove. Need to run the sawmill for a few days befor I get back to it though