Author Topic: New member, finally completed old project  (Read 3784 times)

toadboy65

New member, finally completed old project
« on: June 22, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
I built this one in college, my first serious gun project, but was too skeptical of my abilities to dovetail the sights in. It has been moved from place to place unfinished for over 20 years. I recently came across the front sight blank  in a box, so I got all the bits together and finished it. I started with a .36 cal barrel blank and some rough lock castings. The stock is from a board I found in Brazil.

Anyway, I have made a few percussion guns since then, but have focused on other projects. I find that I really enjoy working on old timey guns, and plan to stay active in the hobby. I hope that joining this forum will help me advance my abilities, and learn from other's experience.

free html images

hd pic upload

Offline Daryl

Re: New member, finally completed old project
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:13:31 PM »
It is certainly an interesting rifle.  You must be proud of it.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:31:35 PM »
Welcome to ALR, for resources and research on the old guns this is the place. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you're from Texas, perhaps San Antonio.  :D

How does the rifle shoot? For a first effort you've done well, she has a few bits that aren't Historically Correct (HC), but your enthusiasm comes through in spades. It's all good.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
  Very Interesting indeed!! Welcome to the ALR an thank you for showing.  Oldtravler

toadboy65

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »
Historical accuracy was not my real goal with this one. I really just wanted to see if I could make presentable gun, and do it without using power tools. It shoots fine at short range, I am using .345 balls which are smallish, and have not really tried a full powder load yet. I would like to make a sling for it, but have not figured out how to best attach it.

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:52:37 PM »
You can put a slight bend in the barrel keys, and eliminate the need for the cotter pins.
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:45:58 PM »
The Alamo front sight is unique but would be hard for my old eyes to see. Very nice first effort and welcome to the fold.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:25:13 PM »
Ever been to Texas? ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:52:05 PM »
welcome back Mike,good as new ;D

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 10:59:50 PM »
If you ask me, you accomplished what you set out to do. You made a functional firearm, by hand. That's an accomplishment that a lot of people in this site have done. But not a lot  of people in general have done. Good on ya!
Greg

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:20 AM »
toadboy65; Sir. welcome to the AMERICAN LONGRIFLE FORUM. Outstanding first effort. It appears you will learn well grasshopper. My first attempt in 1974 would shoot very well. However looked nothing like your first attempt. Says a South Central, replant Texan. Still at it and somewhat better. Have a great day. AJ. 

"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

toadboy65

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »
FYI- Texas A&M, Corps of Cadets, class of 89

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:37:18 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I really like that front sight. Unique and perhaps a personal interest for the builder. For attaching a sling, you can use a sling button on the butt and and a swivel attached to an underlug that is dovetailed to the bottom of the barrel. I believe that Track of the Wolf has both items.