Author Topic: 1765-1775 English fowler  (Read 8974 times)

JNG3

Re: 1765-1775 English fowler
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 02:22:16 AM »
Very nice.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 02:53:50 AM »
Hi Singlemalt,
I mop yellow aniline dye on the black walnut. Depending on the result, I may sand it back a little with maroon Scotch-Brite pads.  Some black walnut may need a little reddish brown dye on top of the yellow but not all.  Laurel Mountain Forge's walnut stain has a pretty good red-brown hue that works as well on top of yellow.  The color and finish on my fowler look better in person than in the photos.   

dave     
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:55:49 AM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 03:20:41 AM »
Hi Singlemalt,
I mop yellow aniline dye on the black walnut. Depending on the result, I may sand it back a little with maroon Scotch-Brite pads.  Some black walnut may need a little reddish brown dye on top of the yellow but not all.  Laurel Mountain Forge's walnut stain has a pretty good red-brown hue that works as well on top of yellow.  The color and finish on my fowler look better in person than in the photos.   

dave   

Thanks, Dave.  That'll come in handy with my Brown Bess project.  The beauty of LMF stain is that it can be cut with denatured alcohol to make subtle shades.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Chowmi

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:37 AM »
Dave,
That is beautiful, I love it. i think that was the gun that I saw in progress, is that right? 

It definitely inspires me to build a fowler.
Thanks for showing! 

Cheers,
Norm.
Cheers,
Chowmi

NMLRA
CLA

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 02:10:57 PM »
Thanks Folks,
Norm, yes that was the gun you saw on my bench.  Now it is that big maple musket stock and barrel you also saw.  I have to build the lock, which is almost done.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."