Author Topic: Gunpowder Bug Deterrent?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Top Jaw

Gunpowder Bug Deterrent?
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:17:07 PM »
Recently ran into someone who keeps a little powder in all the horns they collect.
The claim was that this keeps away bugs and larvae that eat on horns.  I've heard
of spray, mothballs, etc.  Anyone heard of using black powder as a bug deterrent?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:18:45 PM by Top Jaw »

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Gunpowder Bug Deterrent?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:39:15 AM »
 :o :o.... Might just have something there.....one of my old horns I sometimes use is an old family heirloom ... 150+ years old....had a couple small bug holes which I repaired when I received it and have kept powder in it for over 40 years now, with no new damage ....on the other hand.... just finished a horn this past winter that I had started maybe 30 years ago... was stored in a closet, and had a couple small bug chews.... thankfully were not holes yet.......

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 06:03:10 AM »
I've had a horn get chewed with powder in it. I heard the same thing and maybe if the powder was rubbed on the outside of the horn the sulfer might deter the bugs.

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
I had two horns in a box. One was empty and the other had powder in it. Both got chewed.

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the personal experiences.  Sounds like its a no go as a bug repellent.  Just as well.  I've got about 10 horns, so it would be pretty expensive to use powder for that purpose anyway!  I'll stick with the mothballs.