Author Topic: New Hawken Build  (Read 25138 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: New Hawken Build
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
Go for it. I'd personally favor a .54 if I expected any longer range shots. It takes a hefty load to flatten the trajectory on a .58. Maybe not a problem on larger game.

You might be right. I've never owned a .58 and thought this was a good chance to get one. With my vision and open sights. 75 yds would be a long long shot for me.

Offline louieparker

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2017, 07:28:58 PM »
OldMtnMan

I think if you bet your life that Hawken never made a left handed rifle,  your time would be short.  LP

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
OldMtnMan

I think if you bet your life that Hawken never made a left handed rifle,  your time would be short.  LP

Do you know something about one being built?

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
OldMtnMan

Do you know something about one being built?

There was supposedly a LH Hawken in a museum in Michigan that was destroyed in a fire.
It was said to have a back action lock. If there was such a creature it may have been a
Hawken marked barrel used in a restocking job.I think the name of the establishment
was The Military Inn.

Bob Roller

Offline louieparker

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
I have seen one full stock. LP

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 07:56:38 PM »
I have seen one full stock. LP

Made my day if it was made by Hawken.

Originally, I was going to have the new green river make a LH stock on a RH lock, but when Buck pointed me to the TOW LH kit I decided to go with it.

Offline Sharpsman

• "There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »
Stock crawler?

Maybe, but i've never found a long sleeve shirt that had sleeves long enough. Probably a combination of a crawling and arms like a gorilla. I just know a shorter LOP never feels good to me.

You won't have any problems with it Pete! Go for it!

Muzzle Loading Rifles by Sharps Man, on Flickr
"There ain't no freedom...without gunpowder!"

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2017, 01:20:14 AM »
As long as we are in the Hawken mode,my wife has been cleaning out drawers and storage
areas of end tables and found pictures I took 50 years ago of the first Hawken match at
the primitive range in Friendship Ind.They are in what passed for color in those long ago
days. My favorite was Tom Dawson shooting his superb copy of the Modena (Medina?)
Hawken at the instant of discharge. Looked like the recoil of an African big game rifle.
I won third place with it shooting 130 yards off hand and my first shot was an X center.
Fine times,friends and rifles + memories of those like Tom who are no longer here.

Bob Roller

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2017, 02:40:49 AM »
Post up the pictures Bob. What can be better than a Hawken shoot?

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2017, 02:45:30 AM »
  Maybe a John & Joe Manton shoot.  :)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2017, 03:03:03 AM »
Ok, that too.  :)

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2017, 03:56:36 AM »

I have no way to post them.They are pictures taken probably with a camera using 127
film.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2017, 04:50:21 AM »
If you could lay then on a table and take individual pictures with a phone, then upload them to your computer, then to a photo site, then to here.  Sounds easy, eh?  If you could take pictures and mail them to Taylor or I, we will post them.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2017, 07:06:59 AM »
You could take them to an office supply outfit and have them scanned. 
Mike Lee

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:10 AM »
After some research, it seems Carsons gun did have a 31" barrel. I'm going tot go with it. My lower back will thank me for not having to hold up a 36" barrel.

I'm not going for the short LOP Carson had though. He was only 5'2". I'm a foot taller.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »
You will not regret bobbing the barrel...if I build another one for m'self, it will not be a full length 36" bbl.  Too muzzle heavy for a senior.

T.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2017, 12:19:15 AM »
So true. We have to do what we have to do to keep going. I don't want to have to use sticks to shoot the gun. I love offhand shooting and hunting. I'll be able to with the shorter barrel.

Even Bridger who looks a lot bigger only had a 33 1/2" barrel and i'm sure he wasn't shooting it at my age.

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2017, 02:59:33 AM »
    That's a good looking rifle and it will be yours so pick what you want and run with it.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2017, 03:43:33 PM »
You will not regret bobbing the barrel...if I build another one for m'self, it will not be a full length 36" bbl.  Too muzzle heavy for a senior.

T.

The halfstock and hopefully English style flintlock I have started has a 33" barrel now.
It's a GM 50 caliber and 1 inch across the flats.
Is a senior citizen someone from Mexico or is it a geezer from Canada or the USA? ;D

Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
Yes!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »
I am currenlty scratch building a representative late hawken.  After studying Hawkens for some time, as far a "authentic" goes I have formed some opinions, probably wrong but here goes.  Orignial rifles varied quite a bit.  If you want a copy of some particular original, then copy it. That will be difficult to do without out actually taking the original apart.  The ability to examine an original close enough to truely copy it is not for most of us.

Modern parts sets rely heavily on castings, casting were not used to that extent on originals.  If you get too spun up over some parrticular detail it may bog you down to actually building the thing.  For instance, the crook in the toe line of Kit Carson's rifle.  To me it makes no sense other than a construction error on the original.  Maybe they did the more than not, I have no idea.  But if you want a copy of that rifle it needs to be there. But how can you copy sometthing you never touched?  Modern  locks and hammers are only close.  Trigger guards vary.  Nose caps are difficult to get right.  Wedge locations may not be what you want.  It goes on and on.  I say just build one that has representatinve features and enjoy it.   
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:53:59 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2017, 10:15:58 PM »
Nobody will be picking it apart. It only has to satisfy me. I shoot alone. I hunt alone. I'll be handling the gun alone.

I'm using what Doc White says about Hawkens. He did have Bridgers gun for 3 years and measured everything when he took it apart. I'm not so much copying one particular gun as much as a general Hawken built gun. After all I am building a LH gun, so it would be kind of special to have Hawken build it back then.

If I would have had Hawken build it back then and I was young and strong it would have a long barrel. Had I been an old @$#% like I am now with a beat up back i'd ask for a short barrel. So, i'm building what I would have asked for back then.

Make sense?

Offline taco650

« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2017, 05:00:02 AM »
Nobody will be picking it apart. It only has to satisfy me. I shoot alone. I hunt alone. I'll be handling the gun alone.

I'm using what Doc White says about Hawkens. He did have Bridgers gun for 3 years and measured everything when he took it apart. I'm not so much copying one particular gun as much as a general Hawken built gun. After all I am building a LH gun, so it would be kind of special to have Hawken build it back then.

If I would have had Hawken build it back then and I was young and strong it would have a long barrel. Had I been an old @$#% like I am now with a beat up back i'd ask for a short barrel. So, i'm building what I would have asked for back then.

Make sense?

Can't wait to see the finished product!  And have it built the way you want it.  I might have missed it but will it be fullstock or half?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2017, 06:18:10 AM »
Daryl:  my go to load in my .62 cal Hawken is 127 gr. with 350 gr. ball...don't even feel the recoil.  But my rifle weighs 11 1/2 pounds.

Exactly Taylor, it's 11 1/2 pounds

But then, my .69 barely kicks with 165gr. with 480gr. ball and it's only 9 1/2 pounds - wide English Butt plate, though. It does climb up out of battery a bit, though. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:19:52 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »
The recoil of the 69 caliber flintlock "Hawken" that was made for John Baird
was not a hard kicker. 160 grains of 2eg and patched ball.I fired it and it wasn't
half as violent as Tom Dawson's Modena copy with 150 grains.Every one of the
people that were involved in making that rifle of Baird's shot it once. I made the triggers.

Bob Roller