Author Topic: Engraving service  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Mauser06

Engraving service
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »
I believe at some time I've seen a name or 2 pop up as doing engraving work.

I haven't tried engraving yet...

If I get to the point of finishing a gun worthy of engraving, I'm not sure if I want to wait to do it myself (one day) or have it done for me. 

Figured I can start looking at my options and see who you guys might recommend. 

Not necessarily looking to take the easy way out...but I'd imagine even during the period that work may have been commissioned. If I turn out a beautiful piece that "deserves" some engraving..it may be worthwhile.  Some guns just seek to be "missing" that "one thing" sometimes.  And, a fella gotta recognize his weaknesses. I'm not sure I can ever nail the tiny intricate detail of engraving. I'm gunna give it heck trying. But I know that it'll take some time and practice. 

Thanx!

Offline Dave B

Re: Engraving service
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I met a fellow named Bob Evens. He was engraving firearms full time and doing amaizing work. He told me that befor he did engraving he was building a longrifle and asked an engraver about doing some work on his rifle. The guy told him that on a kentucky rifle you can do it your self and if wil be just fine. He started out with that project as his very first attempt and never looked back. he is retired now but he taught Jerry Huddleston alot about engraving as well as many others. You only need to practice practice practice. I was most helpful to wathch some videos on proprer sharpening of the cutters. I didnt really start doing any engraving that was worth much till I got my engraver sharpening to a good level. the properlhy sharpened graver makes a world of difference.  Take a class or buy your self one of the multiple videos out on engraving. \keep it simple dont buy a Lidsay hand grave right off the bat. get some graver chisels and practice practice practice. It is amazing how well you can do when you have the tools right to do the work. Good luck.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 01:39:29 PM »
And the what half of me says to do...the pieces won't be going anywhere. If/when I develope engraving skills, I can go back and engrave my own work. 

I'd probably take more pride in that even if not 1000% perfect or extremely detailed and ornate.

Offline horologist

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »
If you can spare a week and some traveling I would recommend John Schippers engraving class at Connor Prairie. At the end of my class he said we were all engraving as well or better than the old makers as the engraving on American longrifles was generally simple and in many cases crude. If you can build a rifle then I suspect the skills are within your grasp. If you want to compete with the old European masters or build a contemporary rifle then you are in for a lot more work.  John's book Engraving Historic Firearms is an excellent resource but for me there is nothing like having someone show you how and then later following up with the book.

Troy

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
I would suggest Mike Lea.  I believe he lives is Ohio and gives a class once a year, that, unfortunately, I was never able to attend.  He engraved one of my rifles that took "Judges Choice" at Dixons one year... and I suspect his engraving had a lot to do with it.

He does beautiful work.

thimble rig

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »
buy johns book.its worth every penney.It will show you how to sharpen youre gravers,How to draw.It also teaches you how to transfer youre patterens.Also get steve Lindsey sharpening system for the  gravers.You will probably  just use the square gravers the most for long rifle engraving for just starting out.im getting a little better with mine.Just practice a lot.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 06:12:15 PM »
 I just want to say the Robert Evans is not retired but he is up in his 80's and has a few select customers only.  He taught me and I became a Master engraver in 7 years because of his help. He also has a masters degree as a teacher. I was a lucky man when I met him.  There are hundreds of engravers from poor to the very best but only a few can teach it well. There is a difference. I don't know John Shippers but from reading his book I think he is an excellent teacher as well. There are things that he doesn't teach but for the style most of you want to do he is probably the best.  I teach one on one and have two student now but my schedule is tight. Sometimes having it done is the best way to go. It;s not cheap to learn engraving the materials and equipment are getting very expensive. GRS wants about $100.00 for 6 graver blanks. I see dozens of people who buy hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of equipment and it's up for sale in a few weeks. Go figure.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
Try Chuck Edwards.  He does good work.  He has an ad in Muzzleloader magazine

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 06:56:45 PM »
I just want to say the Robert Evans is not retired but he is up in his 80's and has a few select customers only.  He taught me and I became a Master engraver in 7 years because of his help. He also has a masters degree as a teacher. I was a lucky man when I met him.  There are hundreds of engravers from poor to the very best but only a few can teach it well. There is a difference. I don't know John Shippers but from reading his book I think he is an excellent teacher as well. There are things that he doesn't teach but for the style most of you want to do he is probably the best.  I teach one on one and have two student now but my schedule is tight. Sometimes having it done is the best way to go. It;s not cheap to learn engraving the materials and equipment are getting very expensive. GRS wants about $100.00 for 6 graver blanks. I see dozens of people who buy hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of equipment and it's up for sale in a few weeks. Go figure.
I hear his sausage commercials on the radio all the time.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »
Smitty's engraving Harrah OK. He does nice work and at a good price.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 10:00:50 PM »
Thanks all!!!   Great advice all the way around!   

I really need to gather some equipment and give it a go. Only way to learn....

I agree learning hands on would be a huge help.   Hopefully in the near future I can attend some classes....my problem is my work schedule just doesn't allow for that stuff typically.   20 some years when I retire I will probably be at stuff regularly learning to fix the passed 20 some years of "learning".

Offline MontanaFrontier86

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:54:30 AM »
Call chuck edwards for some of the best engraving.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 03:01:59 PM »
I hear his sausage commercials on the radio all the time.

Mike,
 The Bob Evans you mentioned used to stop in to see Bill Large and I have met and talked to
him several times over the years. He's been deceased for a long time but his business still
thrives.

Bob Roller

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
If you can build a longrifle, you can engrave at the level that 98 percent of all longrifles  were engraved. Some very famous early gunsmiths ( Dickert)were famously poor engravers. I believe a good quality longrifle, with period correct engraving, is better than a average quality longrifle with exquisite perfect engraving.

Hungry Horse