Author Topic: Attributed rilfe I'm trying to get more info on  (Read 3218 times)

Offline wildcatter

Attributed rilfe I'm trying to get more info on
« on: June 24, 2017, 04:40:13 AM »
I have had this rifle for a long time. It was attributed to a particular maker based on a few traits but I'm not exactly sure it is right. I would welcome any and all opinions on where it could have been made. I'm hoping to get a ball park area near where it was attributed to help bolster my thoughts on it. It is a later piece but hopefully someone will find a few details that help. By the way, the new photo upload is slick!!

best free image host
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: Attributed rilfe I'm trying to get more info on
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:37:40 AM »
Wildcatter, your rifle resembles a rifle I have examined which was made by Elisha Green toward the end of his career when he lived in Fannin County, Georgia. The tang shape especially. 
Wayne Elliott

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 10:12:30 PM »
Wayne,

Thanks for the follow up information. I will look in to Elisha Green.

It was supposedly attributed to Patrick Hoy and made when he was in partnership with his son,when I bought it many years ago. Most of the rifles I own or have seen by them, have all been signed and this one is not, which has always lead me to think it wasn't their hands. Based on the architecture of the gun, North GA/TN makes more since. 

Matt
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Olanlee

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:54:24 AM »
I have one of hoys rifle  stamped p&j w.hoy millsville s.c

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 03:27:41 PM »
Sent you a pm.

Matt

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
I have an original rifle with the barrel and lock signed by a well known KY maker that has been restocked during its life.  I researched the stock characteristics and felt that it had been restocked by Elisha Green.  The tang is nearly exactly like the tang on your rifle, and the lock mortis profile is identical.  I agree with Wayne's thoughts.
                                                                                                  Roger Sells

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »
I am the owner of this rifle now. If anyone needs additional photos, let me know.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320