Author Topic: cheating?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
cheating?
« on: June 25, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
Was putting a copper rivet in the nose piece to attach it to the stock of my full stock hawken build.Not really having a great way to anchor the stoçk down as safely as I would like and even more worried trying to peen down the rivet.I made a bolt out of the rivet,put threads on it,same in the nose piece.Put a shallow slot on the head and screwed it together.Not sure what metal finish I'm going to do as well so I can take it apart need be.Figure I will just do a little spot file to take the slot off if I want it to look like a rivet,maybe not?Not historically correct,sure holds it securely though.Anybody else take the easy way out?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: cheating?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
I have done it before, although I don't remember why..... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline flehto

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
The copper rivet should have a shallow head and looks like a flat head screw w/o the slot. The head goes in from the bbl inlet bottom flat and the other end is peened into a ctsk in the Mcap....of course the bbl is in and backs up the rivet head which should stick out some so that the bbl  can back it up. After the ctsk is filled w/ copper, file both ends of the rivet  flush and you're done. The through  hole  should be slightly oversize so the expanding rivet doesn't crack the stock and seeing copper is very malleable, light taps w/ the ballpenn end of the hammer in the center of the rivet will easily fill the ctsk.......Fred
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 04:07:36 PM by flehto »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 04:07:03 PM »
Fred,I did all the above but ended up putting threads on both.Just was worried about an oops when trying to peen the end of the rivet.Nobody will know the difference once the shallow slot is filed away.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »
Sounds like a good trick.  I always worry about divoting the nosecap.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 08:02:55 PM »
I do mine like flehto describes. Never had any problem with divots.

Here is a photo of one of my original rifles that has 5 what appears to be brass pins/rivets to hold the nose cap on. From the outside they look like copper. I use copper wire for mine.

Dennis
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:05:30 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson