Author Topic: Gun weight, balance  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Gun weight, balance
« on: June 25, 2017, 06:02:42 PM »
After reading the recent thread regarding barrel weight, total weight it got me to wondering.Thinking about it I would rather have a gun weighing a little more than a lighter one with poor balance.While the one I'm building has good balance and can be balanced dead center on the entry thimble,it also handles good for a straight barrel.Weight wise it should finish off between nine,ten pounds give or take,have not weighed it?I know a lot of folks like swamped barrels for these reasons.My question is for you experienced builders.Do any of you go to the trouble of once you have a build and handle the gun a have noticeable balance issues have you ever added weight in the butt to change things abit?Kinda was thinking about this after handleing a muzzle heavy rifle and thought about it some.My modern gun side of me creeps into this side,over thinking ect.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
Re: Gun weight, balance
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 06:32:41 PM »
   For over 50 years I have never built a gun with a straight barrel.  Not even a half stock.  No insult intended, They don't feel well. I can't stand the weight out front. I believe that most people try too shoot a gun that has too much length of pull. Mike Nesbit convinced me of that many years ago.  Shorten up that pull some and it will bring that gun into balance a lot better.  Adding weight to the butt will balance it but you still have to hold up that weight out front. I went from 14 1/2" to 13 1/2" on my own guns and I'm shooting with the top dogs on rifle. I even won a long gong at 276 yds off hand. Just my pinion. Drop, cast off and pitch is also a consideration. Make the gun fit. It makes a big difference. When a customer picks up a gun and takes a bead and you see that wow look on his face it tells all.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »
All good points,made my lenth of pull at 13 1/2 as well,and for a straight barrel it handles real nice.Close your eyes,pick it up shoulder it,open them and your right on target,alls good.I get the swamped barrel being superior to straight ones in this discussion.Cast off,pitch,drop will have a lot to say about comfort when shooting as well.I once asked a question on here about the hawken plans put out there and bought a couple,tracks and another and was surprised at the differences in the pitch and size of the finished rifle.While far from an expert and it's just my opinion,the track plans rifle looks to have way to long a length of pull and wee bit to much negative a pitch.Not poo pooing their plan,good reference material,just thinking if followed to the tee you might feel this when shooting.Food for thought is all.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
I used  to prefer a target rifle to be muzzle heavy, they hang much better for me that way. I prefer a hunting gun to be much lighter in the muzzle, don't get much "hang time" in hunting situations. I also agree most everybody shoots way too long of a pull.
 Jerry Huddleston takes advice from old horse feathers.... now that is indeed a surprise..... :o
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 08:53:02 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:34 PM »
Stock design is paramount in 'fit' and 'feel' of a gun.  I find it hard to shoot hooked butt guns than need to be held out on the shoulder, I prefer the butt to be in my pectoral muscle pocket, above and on the chest muscle. Thus, I like Shotgun butts, not those silly hooked thingies.

For me, the gun comes up to the eye, not scrunching the face onto a too-high comb then straining your face & eye forwards to find a sight picture. I see so many guys, cranked over top of the comb getting a HARD cheek weld, riding their thumb with their nose, then complain when they get smacked.

& that is ok - just not for me. I bring the rifle up to my eye and the sights are already aligned on the target I was looking at. That's offhand - ie: MEANS SHOOTING OFF THE HANDS -  ie: NO BODY RESTING.  You cannot body rest shooting game or at enemies.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 11:01:58 PM »
 Even old horse feathers know something. I guess I been knowing him for thirty years.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.