Author Topic: 2nd Annual Alabama Kentucky Rifle Show  (Read 4957 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
2nd Annual Alabama Kentucky Rifle Show
« on: June 26, 2017, 11:13:38 PM »
Hi everyone

I have started to get request for the dates of the 2nd annual Alabama Kentucky Rifle Show so I thought I would get started by posting them here. Moderators I did not know for sure where to post this so please move if needed. Also please post the flyer in the events section. Thanks

We had a spectacular show for the first ever Kentucky rifle show in Alabama last January. I could not have asked for a better turnout and show of support than I got from everyone that attended. The show is going to be held again this coming January at the Joe Wheeler State Park located in Rogersville, Alabama. The park was fantastic in their support of this event and went out of their way to make sure that we had eveything that we needed.

We had 82 tables last year that was full of some of the best original and contemporary Kentucky rifles on show and also for sale. I know of several deals that went down and many trades that were made. So come early to get in on the best action.

My initial layout was for 80 tables and we pushed that to 82 with a couple of last minute request. This being the first show I did not know how the turnout would be but by late October I had already received 68 table request so I felt pretty confident that I would get close to the 80 tables. By the time of the show I was trying to figure out how to squeeze in two more. Needless to say I was very pleased and relieved. Everyone I have talked to was very pleased with the show and I am encouraged that they want to come back. I have asked the Park to hold their 2nd conference room for me just in case we get more than 82 tables. I did this just in case we get more request and also we are planing to have an area set up for the wives to display some of their crafts. Their will be no charge at this time for the wives tables. So girls bring your stuff and you girls can have your own show. ;D

This is the Tomahawk that I built for the door prize for the table holders of the show. Ric Lamber was the lucky winner of the Tomahawk. This year I will be making a Damascus Dagger for the door prize to one lucky table holder.

Celeste and I are excited about hosting the Alabama Kentucky Rifle show this next year so please come and join in on the fun and fellowship this coming January.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: 2nd Annual Alabama Kentucky Rifle Show
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »
Oh boy, I don't know....wives usually don't like me much..... ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 05:56:36 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Great news, Jim.... I really enjoyed last years show... could soon equal the Knoxville show...?? ....anyway, I will need a table for this show.... If I'm going to be there, might as well bring a couple rifles for "show & tell" ....!!!... Also have an idea for a presentation speaker....(if you can talk him into it...!!!) ......I'll be on my way.....Thanx... !!!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:19 PM »
The show this year was the first longrifle I have attended, loved it.

Around town nobody knew about the show, I called all the friends I thought might be interested in attending. Perhaps an ad placed in the local papers (Florence and Huntsville) would draw in a bunch more folk.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »
Eric good to hear from you and Cades Cove Fiddler. I am very excited about the show and do plan on advertising the show a little better this time. We had a good number of walk ins for the show last time but I believe it will be better with a little more a publicity. Again I appreciate all who attended and look forward to seeing everyone again in January.

Fiddler send me a PM about who you are thinking about for the quest speaker.

Mike, just the wives?  ;D

Here are a few more pictures of the show

Jim

file upload images
Jim Parker

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:22:53 AM »
Great lot of pics.  Thanks for posting.   Bob

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 06:32:13 PM »
Thought I would bring these pictures of the first Alabama Kentucky Show at Joe Wheeler State Park Rogersville Al back to the top. I recommend that if you are within any reasonable driving distance that you attend the show. Last year we had a standing display of Frank Bartlett rifles as a tribute to a friend of many of the builders and shooters in the southern states. In addition to a few of Frank's better rifles thanks to some generous friends we will have on display rifles by other builder. These will include Hill Pearce, Bob Watts, Mark Silver, Jerry Kirklin, Jim Chambers, Ned Hipp, Jack Rouse, Mike Brooks, Mike Miller, John Laubach and many others for you to see. In addition there will be many original (primarily southern rifles) to gaze upon and learn about from people that really know about southern guns. You'll be doing yourself a disservice if you don't attend and enjoy some of the southern hospitality Bama has waiting for you. Tim

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 07:21:16 PM »
Thanks Tim for bringing this back to the top. I am proud to say that we are indeed going to have another great show and again we are almost sold out on tables. At this time I think I have 3 tables that have not been spoken for, so if you are thinking about getting a table please contact me soon. We are going to have Randal Pierce giving a talk on Southern Mountain Rifles. Many of you may know Randal, he is a dedicated collector of the southern mountain rifle and has worked with Wayne Elliot to put on the show just north of Knoxville, TN. I thank Randal for offering to do this presentation at the Alabama show.

The show is at a great location at the Joe Wheeler State Park. All of the rooms have a view overlooking the lake. They have a great restaurant at the lodge. Those who attended last year may remember the prime rib on the menu on Friday, it was fabulous. I happy to report that it will again be on the menu for Friday evening. All of the rooms have covered access to conference room where the show is being held. Once you park and unload you do not have to leave or get in the car for the whole show, unless you want to.

The people at the part are very happy about us having the show there and are doing everything thing to make this a great show. I also want to report that the park rangers are going to be providing the door security and night security this year. I have also had the show better advertised this year in hopes that we have more walk in traffic to the show. Last year we had over 100 walk ins and I did not advertise, hopefully with advertising the walk in traffic will increase.

We also had some local rifles come into the show witch was a plus. I have tried to get the word out for anyone that has great great grandpa's rifle standing in the closet to bring it to the show and find out what it is worth. You never know what will walk through the door.

Come join the fun
Jim Parker

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 10:51:36 PM »
Getting my bags packed.  See you there.  Bringing my old pre-2000 early contemporary builders guns.
Brice Stultz

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 12:44:18 AM »
I wish I could be with y'all Jim, but we just got back from Florida visiting the in-laws.  Have a super time.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 05:21:06 PM »
Well, I was going to come over on Friday.....but....the wife just informed me this morning that she has an eye doctor's appt.  She gets a shot in the eyeball for macular degeneration and is unable to drive afterwards.  It always turns out to be an 8 hour ordeal.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:37:03 AM »
I suggest ALR members put their handle as well as their name on their name tag.  I am sure I walked by people who I would have like to have met but didn't know them by their real name, only a handle which wasn't on their name tag.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
I dropped by this  morning but the place was empty, turns out they set up starting at 10:00 today, tomorrow would be a better day to go.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:56 AM »
Looks like a GREAT show. Thanks for the pictures, Bama.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 05:30:10 AM »
We’re having a great time down here in Bama country! Y’all come! ;D
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 02:37:01 AM »
I went this afternoon (Saturday) and the place was almost empty, all the collectors and vendors had packed up and left. If you go tomorrow the convention hall will be vacant.