Author Topic: 1769 Brown Bess - Stock Repair Question  (Read 4333 times)

rescuerandy2

1769 Brown Bess - Stock Repair Question
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
Good Afternoon.  Just secured an original '69 Brown Bess that finally completes the bucket-list.   I do not have the musket in my possession but need some advice on repairing the stock.   As you can see in the attached photos, a small bit of  the stock has worn off near the barrel.  I am looking for recommendations for a shop that handles antique muskets and cares for not only the musket but the history attached to a weapon that might have been in the Revolution.  Thanks, Randy

Offline conquerordie

Re: 1769 Brown Bess - Stock Repair Question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:40 PM »
If you fix the stock, you have changed its history. I'd leave  it be. If it's an issued gun, it's gonna have wear and tear. Just my humble opinion.
Greg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
I'd leave that alone.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Brent English

• Robust Wood Lathes
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 11:52:55 PM »
I agree with the others, leave it alone. To me the damage is so minor that the the gun has greater value as is than repaired.  As is, it's a neat piece of history that may have gotten the damage during the war.  If you repair it, you take that history away. 
Done right is better than done fast.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:33 AM »
Hi,
I agree with the others.  I urge you to leave it alone.  It looks like the rammer is already a replacement.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 02:58:17 AM »
Minor leave it and love it.  Change the ram rod with an  original when you can . My two cents.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:59:51 AM by jdm »
JIM

rescuerandy2

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »
Thanks all.  Agreed on changing history, but a bit of repair still leaves me with about 9 lbs of history.  If I do chose to repair, please recommend a good shop. 

Absolutely in the market for a correct ramrod.  Leads would be appreciated.

Randy.

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:30:31 PM »
Why destroy the character that has take 200+ years to develop? I hate to be blunt but I question your reasoning.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

rescuerandy2

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 02:18:52 PM »
Good Morning.  Like myself with my artificial teeth, a few pieces of titanium inside, I am still a 60 year old antique of sorts with some great stories from some great moments.  The addition of a very small % of non-period repairing would alter the look, marketplace value, and upset purists.  Agreed and I too am usually one of those folks.  However, I have enjoyed restoring and repairs military surplus rifles for many years.  Was much easier with WWI era riles that had plenty of parts at Numrich including stocks.  For these 240+ year old warhorses, no such luck.  I would like to have a weapon close to issue and yes, I could have spent much more for a pristine piece but I do enjoy the working on the weapons.  Unfortunately, you would not want me near any type of woodworking.  So, I am considering finding a good craftsman who can do some splicing.  Thanks, Randy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
Thanks all.  Agreed on changing history, but a bit of repair still leaves me with about 9 lbs of history.  If I do chose to repair, please recommend a good shop. 

Absolutely in the market for a correct ramrod.  Leads would be appreciated.

Randy.
You just hit the nail on the head. A GOOD shop won't touch it, and if you find somebody who will you don't want them doing the work.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 04:37:53 PM »
Yes. I agree with my brethren here.

And since you aren't wanting to hear what we are saying, and it is your gun and your money, my BEST advice is to buy a gun in better condition. Sure it will cost more, but it'll be worth more and you might not be motivated to destroy it's value as a historic piece.

Please sell that one to someone who won't alter it, and start shopping again. 

OR in the alternative, just buy one that has already been repaired.  Then you'll be clear of the quandary and have a repaired, less collectible gun-just like you're wanting to create now. 

Heckfire-Maybe someone will trade you a "fixed up" musket for your "more original" musket?  win/win
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:41:33 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

rescuerandy2

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 02:24:30 AM »
The value is not a major issue as it will not be sold but passed on or given to local museum or school.  When we talk about historic pieces, what does that mean.  Does it mean only one that is completely original, one that has been repaired with original parts and very old splices, or does it suffice just having a high probability of having been in the Revolution non matter the condition.  Yes, I can go either way with the musket but the value of this is already pretty low.  The piece is nowhere near VG and I would rate it a fair to good.  Thanks, Randy

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:21 AM »
RR2
The way I see it it is your gun do with it as you see fit. All the hoopla over history may not meaan much as the damage could have come from kids playing cowboys and indians with it in 1940. If the gun did in  fact have a known history it would be a different story. It's your gun your decision.  someone on this site wants to preserve it as is make a profit and sell it to them.  If someone on this site is that pssionate they shouldn't mind paying to take care of it as they are asking you to do. Bottom line is it's yours. Tim Cosby

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 04:10:57 PM »
rescuerandy2....congratulations...that looks like a nice one and a Rev War Bess is on many folks bucket list or fantasy dream list! Would you consider sharing more photos? If you would rather keep them private...send me a PM. I have a Bess as well....I would be happy to share pics of mine....you show me yours....I'll show you mine kind of thing....ha ha.  I also think that it looks great just the way it is.  I wonder if the responses would be different if you had posted a longrifle? God knows there are plenty of folks on this site who have done such repairs.

rescuerandy2

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 01:52:41 AM »
Will be posting more pics of the Bess and its antagonist my US-Surcharged '69 Charleville.  Would love to hear the conversation when these two meet.  Randy