Author Topic: Longrifle work benches/ vises  (Read 9729 times)

n stephenson

Longrifle work benches/ vises
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
I am preparing to move into my new shop. I have a gunmaker`s vise that Mike Lee sells I`ve had it for quite a while still in the box that I plan to start using. I am not thrilled with the vise / rest set up I have been using for so long. I want to explore some other options for holding rifles to work on. I`ve seen a number of different set ups but, I`d like to get some feed back on the ins and outs of some of your various solutions. I`ve seen some posted on here with projects in them . Thanks in advance.  Nate
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 02:56:32 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Lonrifle work benches/ vises
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 07:53:53 PM »
My Bench

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:12:00 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
Birdseye maple drawers....that's the way to make a shop....nice.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:26 PM »
I'm a fan of a "walk around bench" with a carvers vise and moveable support arms. The plank is a rejected piece of stockwood and the legs are grinder stands bolted to the floor. One from a garage sale one from harbor freight. Very sturdy.

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:12:53 PM by Ky-Flinter »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
This is the same bench with a better view of the patternmakers vise and leg setup I had posted this last year.

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:13:23 PM by Ky-Flinter »
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
Those are great - here's mine.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:14:46 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

tgraytn

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:12 PM »
I've read a lot of good comments about the vises that Mike Lee makes.  However, I have not ever seen one nor read anything regarding how to purchase one.  If you would post a picture of yours and list his contact information I would greatly appreciate it!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:34 PM »
Birdseye maple drawers....

Birdseye or not, maple drawers sound uncomfortable!  I will stick with cotton.

Nice looking shop and setup Mitch!
Andover, Vermont

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:59 PM »
  Mitch very nice bench. But Daryls looks more like mine. Oldtravler

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:31:58 PM »
Hi,
Here is my woodworking bench.  The wooden leg vises and sliding deadman make it easy to hold squared stocks for planing, barrel and butt plate inletting.  On top of the bench I have 2 pattern maker's vises and an arm rest.  The rest has a peg on the bottom that fits into the holes on my bench top.  The task light also has a peg on the bottom of its wooden mount so I can move it around the bench.

dave

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:17:29 PM by Ky-Flinter »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »
Birdseye maple drawers....that's the way to make a shop....nice.
That's what you get when you were a cabinet maker prior to becoming a gunmaker. ;D
David

n stephenson

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:07:12 AM »
This is the vise I got from Mike Lee. I haven't used it. It can be mounted in different ways. I don`t have his contact info. sorry.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:18:06 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 04:26:01 AM »
I've read a lot of good comments about the vises that Mike Lee makes.  However, I have not ever seen one nor read anything regarding how to purchase one.  If you would post a picture of yours and list his contact information I would greatly appreciate it!!

This is from a thread that is two years old. I don't know if the information is still good:

Pretty sure Mike Lea has them. I have seen them on his table at Dixons and the CLA show. Not sure if they will fit the knock off you have. He will Know the answer to that. Last phone # I have for him is 614-291-4757   Columbus, OH Thanks
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:19:18 PM by Ky-Flinter »

tgraytn

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 05:29:39 AM »
Many thanks for posting the pics and his contact information!! I will try to contact him.

Offline taco650

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
Those are great - here's mine.

That reminds of my own bench LOL! ;D

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 08:00:51 AM »
In my opinion your better off to have  your vise in the middle of the floor so you can walk all the way around it.  Burnt has a good setup . Mine is similar. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:20:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 08:09:06 AM »
Now that is cool.  My air rifle/.22LR backstop is in the middle of the room, along with a fly-tying bench & hobbies bench - umm - overloaded, with STUFF, of course.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 05:13:16 PM »
Daryl,
Before you put anything else on that bench, might want to add an upright support.  Not sure that top can hold much more weight.
I have one just like it!!!
In His grip,

Dane

n stephenson

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
Thanks to everyone who posted. There were some good options presented. I like the idea Jerry and others have shown for a "walk around"  bench. I have plenty of space to do it . I`ve been working from one side so long . There have been many times I would have liked to been on the other side. I will have a couple of regular work benches with vises along the wall . This is for mainly holding the rifles being worked on.  Thanks  for the input.    Nate

CavSoldier3ACR

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »
I have mentioned in previous posts that I am a US Army officer stationed in Guatemala working for the MIL-Group at the US Embassy.  I wanted to take my deployment as a opportunity to work on a smoothbore for my 11 year old son.  I am living in a hotel so I didn't have any real workshop.  I found a beautiful bench design and I had a local carpenter build my little work bench that sits in the corner of my hotel room.  It is a perfect size for the space I have to work.  I am working primarily with hand tools that I brought with me.  One of the other officers was nice enough to lend me a hand drill.  It is the only power tool I have.  I ordered the pattern makers vice from the internet.  It is one of the best vices I have ever used.  The vice pads swivel to allow for irregular shapes and they are rubber faced, so they hold on tight to your work and they do not mark it.  I couldn't be happier with my setup.  I only lament that I will not be able to bring my little bench home with me as I am not permanent party here so I do not get my personal goods shipped home, except for my luggage. The bench is 33 inches from floor to the top of the table, 50 inches long, 18 inches wide. The legs are pine but the top is some kind of Central  American hardwood. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:21:52 PM by Ky-Flinter »

CavSoldier3ACR

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2017, 04:44:35 AM »
Here is a more operational view of my hotel room corner workshop.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:22:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »

n stephenson

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2017, 04:53:57 AM »
Cavsoldier, thanks for posting. Looks like it`s working. Some progress is being made on your project I see . That's a good looking little set up you`ve  got there . I need a vise like that . I think I would like it better.  Nate

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2017, 05:07:12 AM »
Birdseye maple drawers....

Birdseye or not, maple drawers sound uncomfortable!  I will stick with cotton.

Nice looking shop and setup Mitch!
Rich, think lanolin or fabric softner.   :)

smokepole45cal

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 12:48:52 AM »
I would like to buy a used Mike Lea vise. I am new here and cannot figure out how to post into the Buy/sell section.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 01:06:25 AM »
I would like to buy a used Mike Lea vise. I am new here and cannot figure out how to post into the Buy/sell section.

Just like you did here, click "New Topic" put in your ad and hit save. Be sure and put in a price range.

Tim C.