Author Topic: House trigger guards  (Read 4783 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
House trigger guards
« on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:16 PM »
 Need help! Been trying to post pictures of these guards that I bought at the Tennessee Show. Have had no luck. So if someone is  willing to help a non tricky person. I would appreciate. Oldtravler

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
Re: House trigger guards
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:58:48 PM »
PM Sent - I'll help you out.....

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:15:50 PM »
 Thank you! Kingsbury but I hope you got patience. Gun buildings easier to me...! Oldtravler

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:13:01 AM »
  Kingsbury your p.m. didn't come through. Oldtravler

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 02:37:21 AM »
Got it - and your response - I'm on this - let's get you all set up -

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 04:14:37 AM »
As we work on oldtravler61's current upload issues - here is a requested image post -

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:13:55 AM »
 8) 8)... Thanx for posting the pix...   Traveller,  ...I believe you told me they have HH makers mark... ??? ...like the story of your finding them.... you must have gotten them before I got to the show.. !!! ....Share that story here....make a lot of us kick our own butts.. !!...by the way... put me 1st in line.... !!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 05:48:30 AM »
Candes Cove Fiddler,  Not only did I miss seeing them while at the show, but I spent several hours visiting with Mike at Jack Duprey's table along with eating dinner with him and he never mentioned of this find.  :o ??? :-X
David

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 05:24:05 PM »
 First off I want to thank Kingsbury an David Ease for all their help!!
  David I had know idea at the time what I had purchased. Except that they were forged trigger guards that I thought we're very well made.
  It was Friday morning Jack an I were done setting up. So it was time to scrounge. Jack went one way I went the other. Started looking in a wooden box a couple tables from Dennis Glazners an their they were. So I picked up four an the butt plates (two) all the fellow had.
  When I got back home I started looking at them an noticed the HH marking. That perked my interest.
 That's when I posted on here. Have showed them to a couple of people. Two guards have the stamp two don't. But by the workmanship quite sure Herchel made them all. Plan on bringing them to the CLA show to see if Herchel will clarify his handy work. After that not sure what I will do. Wanted to use them on a smr I am building but that just doesn't seem right to me.  Oldtravler

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 05:36:35 PM »
Mike, They were made to be used . Not like your trying to pass your work off as Hershal`s  or anything like that. JMHO    Nate

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
My offer still stands to cast them in brass for free.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 06:00:21 PM »
  Nate your probably right. After I get done building it. No one in their right mind would thank Herchel had anything to do with it!!!    Mike I appreciate your offer. But I have to many brass trigger guards now. Besides filling brass is not one of my favorite things to do. Oldtravler

n stephenson

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 06:46:52 PM »
Mike, Did`nt quite mean it like that  Ha!!    If I made the guards I probably would  rather see them get used. Rather than live in a parts box JMHO   Nate

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 07:12:51 PM »
  Nate your probably right. After I get done building it. No one in their right mind would thank Herchel had anything to do with it!!!    Mike I appreciate your offer. But I have to many brass trigger guards now. Besides filling brass is not one of my favorite things to do. Oldtravler
It's me that wants the brass copies..... ;) I was offering to give you some in return for letting me temporarily use them to get castings from.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 01:54:44 AM »
Mike - if you make them - I would take a set - help reduce your costs...?  :)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2017, 02:08:03 AM »
I can probably get them sand cast for $25 or so.....if I had one to cast from. ;)

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
I can probably get them sand cast for $25 or so.....if I had one to cast from. ;)
So Mike, do you know someone who sandcasts brass or do you do it?  I am setup to and have done several sand castings of rifle furniture but I can't do it for $25.00.  I have several patterns that I have made and cast up for myself that others are interested in, but I can't afford to cast them for a reasonable cost.
David

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2017, 11:23:55 PM »
So Mike, do you know someone who sandcasts brass or do you do it?  I am setup to and have done several sand castings of rifle furniture but I can't do it for $25.00.  I have several patterns that I have made and cast up for myself that others are interested in, but I can't afford to cast them for a reasonable cost.
David
Local foundry. I'd have to check on down to the penny prices, but it should be right around there. I have done sand casting before and figured out right away that if somebody else will do it you better let them. ;)