Author Topic: Interesting article mentions Isaac Price a blacksmith/gunsmith on the Catawba  (Read 3785 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
I found this article interesting:
https://allthingsliberty.com/2017/06/avenging-francis-bradley-mecklenburg-marksman-family-story/

Note this paragraph in the article
Bradley, as Hunter knew, was the brother of Esther Bradley Price, the wife of the gunsmith Isaac Price. Frank Bradley had been brother-in-law to both Isaac Price and John McKnitt Alexander.

Isaac Price, a blacksmith and gunsmith, on the Catawba at the fluctuating border of North and South Carolina, had been made one of Thomas Sumner’s armorers, an “artificer” in “the State Service”—the state being South Carolina.[14] In his pension application, John Black says that after about ten days as a volunteer militia man in a North Carolina regiment he “was detached from the Army and put into an armory with one Isaac Price for the purpose of repairing firearms and making swords for the horse troops & mounted militia.”[15] Price did his best with the quality of the iron he had, but some of his swords broke in battle, as Joseph Graham recorded.[16] After the war, Price had other apprentices in his gold-smithing and gun-smithing factory.[17] And after the war Gen. Peter Forney and then Graham himself ran great furnaces.[18]
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Clowdis

Great article Dennis, thanks for posting it.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

:) :).... Thanx, Dennis... Great article.. becoming more & more interested in Carolina history, pending my future move to Henderson Co. North Carolina..... Regards... CC Fiddler ...

Offline Ray Settanta

Thanks for posting the article. Very interesting.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Hi Dennis,
Thanks for posting this.  There is a lot of information and documentation on Isaac Price in my book, "The Longrifle Makers of the Mecklenburg School."  I have been unable to find a singed rifle by him.  I did include photos of two unsigned early Mecklenburg Rifles in my book.  The first rifle was owned by John McKnitt Alexander who moved to Mecklenburg County from Cecil County, Maryland in 1764.  I believe the rifle was made between 1770 and 1775. John McKnitt Alexander was the Captain of the Mecklenburg Militia who helped earn the county it's "Hornet's Nest' nickname.

The second early rifle in the book is the oldest known example of Mecklenburg School rifle.  It dates to around 1780.  The rifle is .58 caliber flared to .62 caliber at the muzzle.  I think it may have been a militia rifle.  I also have an early militia horn found in Mecklenburg County with an unusual screw off base.

Michael
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 07:37:00 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Nordnecker

I also have an early militia horn found in Mecklenburg County with an unusual screw off base.

Michael
[/quote]
I'd sure like to see it.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Nord,
Here is my Mecklenburg Militia powder horn.  It was purchased many years ago at an estate on the Mt. Holly to Huntersville Road in Northern Mecklenburg County.

high res image hosting

I have show you mine, let's see yours.  (laughs)

Michael

C. Michael Briggs

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Thanks for posting that horn Michael. I really like it. I am not very good on horns but I have never seen one made like it, very nice.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hudson

Interesting, thank you.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
 Very unusual and neatly done horn.

Tim C.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Thank you for posting that horn mbriggs. Different and very cool!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln