Author Topic: Photobucket is now charging $400/yr for sharing photos with forums  (Read 24171 times)

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Photobucket is now charging $400/yr for sharing photos with forums
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »
Here's a link to an interesting story about PB I found this morning https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/big-lesson-learned-photobuckets-ransom-images-debacle-191026772.html

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline J Henry

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2017, 06:54:56 PM »
Easy fix,,drop them and tell them why.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
I just tried to delete my acct from photobucket an I cant find anything that will let me delete it. I aint to computer sharp so any suggestions will be appreciated. My pics are backed up on my computer and a plug in devise so I want to delete PB completely
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
Me too Wattlebuster, I removed everything from my account there but can't figure out how to delete my account. Sure would like to tell them why, as an aside.
Thank you Dave.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2017, 11:41:59 PM »
Well, they finally got me too. Bazillions of pop ups that slow my computer down so bad It's nearly useless to try and up or down load pics. They say I have until 12/31/18 to fork over the $400. If  don't, I gets the AX. ::)

That and my Yahoo  email account has been hacked....oh joy.... ::)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 12:53:39 AM »
Do like I did Mike an give them the AXE first. I cancelled my acct last week. There is a few pics that I cant get back but I will not be blackmailed/extorted so I told them to kiss my redneck a$$. They are real sissy's about it though. I could not cancell my acct except by email an it took several days to do so but now its said an done
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »
Mike - if you need an "IT" guy to help you gather all your images and uploads from Photobucket when you dump them - IM me - I will be glad to help...

Jon

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
Mike - if you need an "IT" guy to help you gather all your images and uploads from Photobucket when you dump them - IM me - I will be glad to help...

Jon
Thanks , I'll take you up on that. Computer got hacked a few days ago, got to get that straightened out first.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

greybeard

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »
Got my nasty note from  PB today.  Bob

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2017, 08:21:47 AM »
I'm waiting to see if there is some sort of legal repercussion, a class action law suite based upon the pilfering of intellectual property.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:41 PM »
I'm waiting to see if there is some sort of legal repercussion, a class action law suite based upon the pilfering of intellectual property.
On what grounds? You have access to remove photos. No one is making us leave our photos there, I don't like their decisions but I see nothing legally wrong with what they ate doing.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
Hi,
Dennis is correct.  PB has not broken any laws as far as I can tell and I had no trouble downloading photos from my account.  Moreover, I suspect there may be nothing to sue in 6 months.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Online Gaeckle

« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
True, they (PB) may not be here in 6 months, but the initial premise of their start up was the ability of having photos stored, shared and used to communicate ideas and other things that are for the most part held in ransom. The intellectual property idea, just my opinion and nothing more, stems from the thought that in this forum, we have tutorial sections where members apply their ideas on problem solving to others and the use of photos is used to help express these ideas. This same thing is happening to other forums and other venues of idea sharing. The current state of affairs is a "pay to play" scenario for sure, but with our law suite happy society, I simply wonder if some lawyer would make the attempt.

greybeard

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
My photos being held for ransom. BLACKMAIL. AGIN the law
Bob

Offline Doc

« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2017, 10:16:48 PM »
Just deleted my account, thanks for the help.  Although I am quite sure that my actions are meaningless.  Just downloaded all my pics and said "Bye"

Doc

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
I have tried to download my album several times and it just latches up and no download occurs.  Fortunately, all mu photos were copies of stuff that I have in my machine here so all I am losing is the convenience of a single location.

JMC
John Cholin