Author Topic: Bob Roller's photos of the first Hawken shoot in Friendship Ind circa 1967-68  (Read 11142 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Some of the fondest memories I have of the good old days, are horse trading over the phone with Turner Kirkland, arguing about caliber, and rifling depth, with Bill Large. And, now conversing over the computer with Bob Roller. Back when I started shooting muzzleloaders these pioneers of our sport were all very approachable, and not at all shy about giving a newbie their opinion. I didn’t realize at the time what a wonderful opportunity I was enjoying. Many thanks to all of them.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

Some of the fondest memories I have of the good old days, are horse trading over the phone with Turner Kirkland, arguing about caliber, and rifling depth, with Bill Large. And, now conversing over the computer with Bob Roller. Back when I started shooting muzzleloaders these pioneers of our sport were all very approachable, and not at all shy about giving a newbie their opinion. I didn’t realize at the time what a wonderful opportunity I was enjoying. Many thanks to all of them.

Hungry Horse

HH,
Many thanks for the kind comments.Bill and Turner are long gone and for whatever reason I am still here.
Bill was born in 1907. I don't remember when Turner was born. I worked for him in Union City in the summer
of 1958 when I was 22.In and out of Bill's shop from the winter of "58 until he passed in September of 1985.
I am now 81 and possibly one of a very few that knew some of the founders of the NMLRA. Memories are still
strong,the Tom Dawson camp and fine meals Helen made and talks that lated until 2AM or later.Bill never
stayed up that late and retired to his motor home by 10PM.

Bob Roller

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Enjoyed them very much.  Thanks
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hungry Horse

Bill Large, and my dad were born the same year, maybe that is why we argued so much. I really think he enjoyed winding me up, and letting me demonstrate my ignorance.

Hungry Horse

Chrisweiler

I think my favorite part of this sport (other than shooting) Is listening to the more seasoned folks share stories/reminiscing about “the good ol days”, talking about the old gunmakers I’ve read about, telling “the story” about buying parts piece by piece to build their first rifle. Thanks for the photos