Author Topic: Saying Hi and a ?  (Read 2153 times)

pauleve

Saying Hi and a ?
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:51:41 PM »
Hi all glad to be part of your forum and hopefully being able to post regularly.I am living in the Uk and looking to purchase my first American long rifle to start a new collection to go with my British 1821 cavalry/artillery swords . What i am looking for is your expertese in the rifles of Joseph Schuler to confirm whether this is a Joseph Schuler as not knowing if the etching on the lock plate is usual for his rifles

Thanks for looking and I look forward to any replys

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Saying Hi and a ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:37:55 PM »
Welcome!
The pictures are of a Germanic gun of the mid 1700s. There are almost no examples of American guns of the period that have such finely appointed barrels with gold inlayed cartouches.  The percussion conversion is a typical European conversion as opposed to the drum and nipple commonly seen here. 

Nice gun!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 12:33:55 AM »
The lock marking looks like "Joseph Schuler A Neustat" which would indicate maker and location.  You might be able to track down exactly when this guy worked if you researched the location of Neustat or Neustadt and went from there.  Someone with a copy of Heer's "Der Neue Stockel" may be able to help you out; this maker may already be listed in there with location and working dates.

Also, this one looks to be a smoothbore or 'smooth rifle' as opposed to an actual rifle w/ rifled bore.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:36:39 AM by Eric Kettenburg »
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 01:37:30 AM »
The rear sight is like one I had on a Jaeger

upload image

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

pauleve

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 11:09:51 AM »
Thanks for all the great feedback guys ,guess i picked the wrong Schuler .The American Joseph Schuler was the one that came up on google ,although when reading about the American Schulers a patch box was almost always mentioned on their rifles .Best go searching the opposite direction and into Germany .
Cheers
Paul