Author Topic: Hershel house gun  (Read 4971 times)

Offline bowkill

Hershel house gun
« on: July 05, 2017, 05:08:11 AM »
Dont think i have ever posted pictures of this gun but i am about too. Think this was an earlier gun he made. Bought this gun off a gentleman that had it listed on a local gun sale web sight. Had it listed for 600$ I seen it and thought wow that is a nice one, did not really have the funds at the time to waste but you guys know how it is could not help myself. Emailed the guy and asked him if it had any writing on it....He said no.. Asked him if he would consider 450$ for gun...He said he would take 450$..Scaired me thought it may have been some junk, pictures were not that good. I thought on it a couple days and seen it was still listed so i called him and asked him if he was sure it did not have any writing on it. He said well it does have a name on it and it was hershel house......After i got my jaw off the floor i told him i was on my way to get it.It was a 2 hour ride one way but had too see if it was what i thought it was, AND IT WAS!!  Said it was his dads and he had passed away and they were selling all his guns and that was one of the last ones. No one had much interest in it. Well....here is the dumb %#*& ss thing i did.. Keep it for a couple years and was really getting into building my own guns, so i called track and told them what i had and would they be interested in selling it for me. Boxed it up insured for 5000$ and sent it to them. Got a sad email telling me it had been broke through the wrist in shipping. Post office improperly packaged and would not pay.[should have sued them] But long story shortened, i ended up selling to track. Wish i had keep it and fixed it. Shot it a bunch but never took it hunting. It was a 45 cal with a almost black aqua fortis stock. I have acquired some more nice guns but i am sure i will never run across another one of thoes...
DSC 8770" border="0
DSC 8744" border="0
DSC 8745" border="0
DSC 8746" border="0
DSC 8774" border="0
DSC 8768" border="0
DSC 8751" border="0
DSC 8769" border="0
DSC 8763" border="0
DSC 8765" border="0
DSC 8759" border="0
DSC 8766" border="0
DSC 8757" border="0
DSC 8749" border="0
DSC 8748" border="0
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline bowkill

Re: Hershel house gun
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 05:18:51 AM »
Yes....I am a dumb #&& and pay stupid tax...Been about 7 years ago and can now just talk about it...lol..owell

Online Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:07:06 AM »
 ;D ;D... HaHa... I'd still be kicking my own ass too....!!! .....I would love to have just the broken parts..!!!.... Brass and a patchbox too... !!!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 03:26:56 PM »
It's rare and early. Not many brass mounted HH guns out there.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
That's like the urban legend of the mom who lists her sons '62 Chevy for sale after he didn't make it back from Vietnam Nam.  The guy shows up to look at the car out in the barn and it's a '62 Chevy "Corvette "!!!

Offline bowkill

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 10:52:02 PM »
I should be in top nomination for dumb !@# award.. Knew i messed up when it bought 2000$ and was broke through wrist. May delete this topic...too painful..ARRRR
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 10:49:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 12:21:52 AM »
  Bowkill your sad tale. Is exactly why I go to estate sales. An camp out at the front door of every gun show. Especially the modern gun ones. Who wants an old muzzeloader anyway!! 
  Like I have said before. If you got the patients to wait the deals are out there.  Oldtravler

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 04:03:47 PM »
Bowkill, sorry for your misfortune. Thanks for posting. I once saw a really nice  brass Melchior Fordney rifle Hershal did way back. It was at a gunshow in Nashville . The guy knew what he had and, had it priced accordingly but it was a very nice piece . Ever notice whether it`s a good gun , a favorite car or a beautiful girl , the ones that slip through your fingers always seem to haunt you . My father always said stupidity is supposed to be painful , as I get older I try to live as "pain free" as possible, but sometimes the old wounds hurt again.  Nate