Author Topic: Rev War wooden canteen needed  (Read 3025 times)

Offline sonny

Rev War wooden canteen needed
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
Wondering, I have just  dropped my glass leather covered canteen an now......she a leaks!!!........I have a leather made canteen that holds more brewers pitch then water......she a leaks!!!...... I need a source for a wooden canteen that is a really authentic looking, water tight, tough as heck, rev war style canteen for reenactment use......please help this old man out with a source.........sonny

Offline conquerordie

Re: Rev War wooden canteen needed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:54:00 PM »
Sonny,

Try this website: www.cartlandtavern.com. I carried one of his cheesebox canteens for years. Never leak and is as authentic a they get.
Greg

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 10:21:23 PM »
Thanks conquerordie, I like what I see...........sent a message to them an waiting for reply. Is your canteen with the forged staple to tie up to a shoulder strap? or is your's a leather loop style?.............no leaks sound wonderful.......sonny

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Mine was the forged staple. I sold it a few years ago when I got out of reenacting. But I kept his name in case I ever got back in.
Greg

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 09:29:37 PM »
He makes nice stuff!!!!..........sonny

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 01:32:08 AM »
Are wooden canteens like a ship, where the wood needs to have water to swell and keep it from leaking?  Many thanks,   Marc

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 07:32:29 AM »
Are wooden canteens like a ship, where the wood needs to have water to swell and keep it from leaking?  Many thanks,   Marc

Some do. I had a nice Gardner pattern (CW era) that I had to keep water in when not in use. Not too big a deal really.
Psalms 144

Offline JW

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 08:16:33 PM »

I’ve had a stave-type canteen which needed to be full for storage. I have one of Bill Payson’s cheesebox canteens and he told me to keep it dry for storage… so I have and it’s never leaked when full. That has been a fantastic canteen.