Author Topic: Switching from Pyrodex to black powder  (Read 7992 times)

jrubin

Switching from Pyrodex to black powder
« on: July 08, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »
Greetings,

Yesterday we went out to see what the new correct load would be for the Hawken, I figured it would be less given the switch to FFFg from FFg even though I started at 70gr from the last recorded setting for target at 50yards.  What a kick.   No doubt ignition times are much faster with black powder than Pyrodex or substitute...

Smoketown

Re: Switching from Pyrodex to black powder
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:58:52 PM »
Welcome aboard Jordan!!

Nothin' better than REAL black powder!!    8)

OK, maybe one or two things are a lil' bit better ...    ;D

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 01:04:29 AM »
AND......you won't ruin your bore.  :-)   

jrubin

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »
If SWITCHING to BP, the damage is likely already done.

Not exactly, This rifle has seen pyrodex only just once, my 54cal ran pyrodex exclusively.  Having to maintain both for flint and percussion became a hassle so I moved everything to black powder, this being the first of the bunch.

Also the .54 and the .50 aren't pinned and cleaned directly after shooting, complete breakdown, plunged with hot water and ballistol , there is nothing left on any metal once finished with the cleaning process.  I could do a whole seperate video just on the cleaning alone.

jrubin

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 06:40:28 AM »
Burned through a container of Goex, I have to say I regret no going down that road sooner.  Now with the Florida winter upon us we will have more time to see how consistent it is.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »
Black is very forgiving really. It doesn't get emotional about slight changes.

I always remember a bloke here who tried Pyrodex in his flintlock,..."Burns like a garden fire.."   LOL!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »
Artificial powder for the current crop of artificial muzzle loaders and for those
who only want to extend a hunting season.

Bob Roller

jrubin

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 05:02:04 PM »
ok, ill bite, how does it extend a hunting season?

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:18:17 PM »
ok, ill bite, how does it extend a hunting season?

They have the muzzleloader season to hunt besides the other seasons they were hunting. More options to get tags.

jrubin

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 05:34:38 AM »
ok, the statement made it sound like pyrodex could somehow extend the shooting season over conventional powder

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:52:03 AM »
Most of the ones who want to just extend their hunting seasons will use sub powder, modern bullets, inlines, and scopes if it's legal.

Not what we call muzzleloaders.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
A lot of people will not buy a muzzleloader and therefore be allowed to hunt in muzzleloader season unless its an inline.

But then again there are parts of the country where black powder is hard to get so they go with a substitute. I buy on line now and if I buy at least 5 pounds the hazmat fee is negligible.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 06:16:04 PM »
They aren't muzzleloaders in my eyes. They would never dream of using a muzzleloader in rifle seasons. I do it all the time because a muzzleloader is all I want to shoot/hunt with. It's the only kind of gun I own.

90% of muzzleloader hunters now use an inline. The tradition of using traditional muzzleloaders is slowly dying. The majority of muzzleloader hunters want their gun as close to a CF rifle as possible. Some guys are taking 400-500 yd shots now. Makes me sick.

I can't remember how long it's been since I ran into another hunter who was using a sidelock. That might be different in other parts of the country, but it's pretty scarce in Colorado.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 06:32:37 PM »
Its that bad out there in Colorado?

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 08:07:11 PM »
While ago a young guy at the shooting range with one of those plastic monstrosities thought my flintlock was really neat. Not having to use primers is a great idea! Someone should have invented it years ago. Guy was about mid 20's and had no idea that flintlocks were not a new invention. Never heard of the thing before. I have not seen someone else shooting a flintlock at the shooting range in about 25 years. Except for my dad.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »
I'm surprised he didn't say..........too bad they put that heavy wood on it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 08:52:52 PM »
I not only get it with guns, but fly fishing too. I use a bamboo rod, classic C&P reel, silk line, and I just use classic dry flies. Most fisherman look at me like i'm crazy, but they don't seem to notice i'm smiling and having a good time. While they look frustrated they can't catch a monster every two minutes.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
While ago a young guy at the shooting range with one of those plastic monstrosities thought my flintlock was really neat. Not having to use primers is a great idea! Someone should have invented it years ago. Guy was about mid 20's and had no idea that flintlocks were not a new invention. Never heard of the thing before. I have not seen someone else shooting a flintlock at the shooting range in about 25 years. Except for my dad.

Sometimes you just have to wonder what they did during history lessons in school.

Oft times when we shoot the trail, everyone there will be shooting a flinter.  In the club, there are now more flintlock rifles than percussion guns.  The flint smoothbores are also in majority, especially for shooting ball of course, but also for BP trap.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 03:28:07 AM »
Sorry- forgive my rudeness. Welcome jrubin.

I couldn't help noticing you were resting your rifle, not on the wood, but on the ram-rod. While that might be spongy enough not to effect grouping or POI, you might find it advantageous to hold the rifle's forend in your left hand and rest the back of that hand on the bag or front rest's pad.
I find that give me the same POI (Point of Impact) as when I shoot offhand.
Daryl

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:10 AM »
Hey, i got my start on flintlocks thru trying to extend my hunting time afield.  Won't ever apologize for it.  Fortunately in PA the late season is flintlock only.  Of course some of the factory guns come with plastic stocks and such to try to lure hunters into thinking that somehow this is a modern version of a 200 yr old technology, heck I even had one for a while.  Then the heritage and history part of this sport hit me.  To be able to hunt the way our forefathers did who settled our great nation, goes deeper than just some extra time afield.  Now I find the late flint season to be probably my most "looked forward to" hunting of the year.  Throw in the fact that you can build one of these yourself and hunt with it, doesn't get any better.  Jrubin, Good luck with finding the load with real BP, I have never used anything but, and have always found decent accuracy and reliable ignitions with it.  You are for sure on the right track with keeping records of everything you try.

jrubin

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
Sorry- forgive my rudeness. Welcome jrubin.

I couldn't help noticing you were resting your rifle, not on the wood, but on the ram-rod. While that might be spongy enough not to effect grouping or POI, you might find it advantageous to hold the rifle's forend in your left hand and rest the back of that hand on the bag or front rest's pad.
I find that give me the same POI (Point of Impact) as when I shoot offhand.

I've received several comments about that.  What could not be seen in the video was the lack of adjustment in the field stand used that day.  This resulted in an awkward position not normally used for this rifle as a firing position.  It was good enough, but not optimal.   In these cases I believe the Seat and the bench should not be connected, allowing for maximum adjustability.  With this folding stand that was a limitation.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 11:42:08 PM »
The forend rest appears to be on a pivoting shaft, that is removable from the bench top, or swivel led out of the way. 

Sand bags may then be placed on the bench top, may be placed where they need to be. if not allowed at that range,

I'd find a different place to shoot. Just drive out to a cut-block, set up some targets and have at it.
Daryl

jrubin

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 09:47:48 PM »
The forend rest appears to be on a pivoting shaft, that is removable from the bench top, or swivel led out of the way. 

Sand bags may then be placed on the bench top, may be placed where they need to be. if not allowed at that range,

I'd find a different place to shoot. Just drive out to a cut-block, set up some targets and have at it.

Indeed a review of that day and the use of the portable bench provided some lessons learned with regard to ergonomics. Replacing the pivoting shaft with bean bags presents another good idea, thank you

jrubin

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 08:06:47 AM »
Yes in reviewing the footage, some of the shots were taken resting right on the ramrod.... unfortunate.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 05:57:06 PM »
  Jrrubin welcome to the ALR. Here in Michigan they ruined our no season long time ago.
  As long as the gun is loaded from the muzzle anything can be used.
Scopes,in lines,modern shotguns with the replacement barrels. When asking the Game department why. They say well it sells more licenses.
It's all about the money...! Sad but true..