Author Topic: Shot Pouch advice  (Read 3611 times)

Offline MontanaFrontier86

Shot Pouch advice
« on: July 08, 2017, 10:42:50 PM »
I bought this for cheap basically because of the shot dispenser. I kind of like the pouch with the dog now though. Is there anyway I can salvage this bag and if so what is the best way?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Shot Pouch advice
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:06:31 PM »
3 ideas come to mind right away.  One would be to double up the leather where the spout attaches to the pouch with a collar of leather.  Second would be to cut off the bad leather at the top of the pouch and stitch a leather collar to the original bag and my third idea would be to make a brass collar that you could sandwich the pouch between the spout and the brass collar.  Don't know if any of these ideas are plausible to you, but they might trigger a better idea.
David

Smoketown

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »
The ideas posted by Dave are great.   ;D

Wrapping the neck with leather and cord or a 'rawhide repair' would be two of the more "folksy" methods.   ;)

Cheers,
Smoketown

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 01:25:54 AM »
In my experience, when leather is that old and brittle (or friable), it's done.  The rest most likely has little integrity.  I'd sit it on a shelf an enjoy looking at it.  Maybe have someone like James Rogers make a repro for you to fit the spout?   Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline MontanaFrontier86

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
thanks for all the advice! I think I'm gonna try and stitch a new piece of leather on and then wrap it in rawhide on the spout

Offline Shawn Henderly

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:05:10 AM »
You could cut around the dog leaving a small border and then use the old pouch as a pattern to make a new one and then stitch or glue the tooled piece that you like to the new pouch.

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:18 AM »
If the seams and throat are too far gone, but the dog is still so-so, you could salvage the dog by cutting the circle around it, and mounting the dog to a shooting bag flap, or maybe over the end of an appropriately sized powder horn.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »
I would advise you not to get crazy, here.  Before you start anything, take a magnifying glass and examine the stitches down past the throat where the brass used to fit and see how far they separate and where they join firmly.

That will tell you whether your repair will hold. If you judge that the threads are not so dried out as to fray further no matter what you do, or if you are thick headed and really want the repair ( remember that this is coming from the guy who once posted on making an Indian Brown Bess a viable gun, by the by) then re-read the posts above.

From this point on, you are a cobbler with little difference between you and somebody in the 19th century...except you got a whole lot more technology.

The throat of the pouch, where all the discoloring and fraying is, will either hold the spout or it won't.  You probably won't be able to use the short bolt that appears to have gone through the leather throat to hold the spout on.

You should probably moisten the top of the throat and even it off with a knife sharp enough to shave with.

Moisten ( don't soak)  the rest of the throat and insert the brass spout, leaving it until it dries. Use your fingers to encourage the fit but then leave it alone overnight.  Gently, boy, gently.

Take the missus out to Starbucks and steal a couple of their coffee stirrers.  Tomorrow, when you can see how and where the dried leather fits close to the brass spout, see if there is a hole where the end of the secured stitching meets the brass of the spout.  If there's no gap, celebrate 'cause now you're cookin' with gas.

This is a two step fix.  Use a drop or two of Krazy Glue Gel ( not liquid) to bind the seam where the thread is secure rather than try to re-stitch.  If you only have to glue one or two stitches down, that is a good bet to stop the seam from spreading it's gap.  Your chances are that the guy who made that pouch used a half caste in his stitching....sort of like the first knot in tying you shoes.  If he did that, then the seam does not want to spread and the glue is not easily seen.

Now rough up the throat of the brass where it joins the throat of the pouch.  Use those stolen stirrers to smooth over a thin layer of Krazy Glue on the brass and  push it down into the throat of the bag.  The glue is going to add to the integrity of whatever is left of the leather at the throat.

If you are not cursing me for a fool at this point, then you have fixed the damage but not yet fixed the cosmetic of the pouch.

Here's what I'd try...

Get some white string ( not hemp or jute, but more of a cotton postal string) and some tacky glue or Elmers.  Paint the whole throat on the outside and let it sit for enough time for the glue to get tacky.   Try to use enough to hold the string but not so much that it will run and bead up.  Starting at the bottom of the throat, carefully wrap the string, in even, tight windings until you hit the brass lip.  Hold it for a while and let it dry.

Once you know it is dry, you can stain the string if you want unless you admire the contrast of your handiwork.

Coat the windings again with anything that will seal and harden...even more glue will do. Cut the ends of the string.

Tah Dah....

Hope this helps and your lawyers don't know where I am if it doesn't

The Capgun Kid

AKA The Still River Cordwainer

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:41:05 PM »
The weight of the shot destroys nearly all leather shot flasks, and shot snakes eventually. Which means the flask is history. My advise would be to reassembly this flask, and display it. Then, go get an Irish style head, and some leather, and build yourself a shot snake. The English style flask heads are notorious for not always giving a full measure, and really don't allow you to eyeball what it dispenses. JMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
If I may comment...
My opinion is that antique leather shouldn't be reworked or repaired once its past a certain point.  And that piece certainly is past that point.  I wouldn't even oil it or wash it.  I would reassemble it carefully and stick it on a shelf and leave it be.
However...One of the best ways to preserve an antique leather item you really love is to copy it exactly.  If there was a piece that I absolutely loved, I would find a leatherworker who is adept at making bench copies and who also has the skill set to replicate whatever particular details (in this case the decorative stamping of the dog).

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
Like I posted earlier...don't get crazy with this piece.   The two most dominant features of leather are ( one) it would have preferred to remain on the animal and (two) no matter what you do it will rot or simply dry out over time...sort of like a prolonged status of being perishable.

Even if you try to fix this, you won't get a lot of use out of it.  Something else will give out even if you never fully load it with shot.

I have turned away potential customers who wanted me to "age" their leather piece by beating up the leather. My own prejudices are based on the lack of documentation where a bloke or cowboy walked up to a bootmaker, paid his hard earned money and then asked the craftsman to ..." make this look old"...

It takes an exceptional craftsman to be able to make something look like anb antique and still function well.

That being said, we all admire aging pieces for their value  as an "old friend", but you gotta ask, "what would I put an old friend through?"

In any case, you have enough advice in this post to make a good decision.

Capgun

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:58 PM »
Awwww PUPPY!!!  ;D

Offline Jerry

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 02:45:04 AM »
I just went through this exact thing. I bought mine because the leather looked so good, but that wasn't the case. The only thing salvageable was the head. I had to cut the old leather away and use it for a pattern and start with new leather. My head was made of steel. The name on it was "SYKES". It dispenses 1 1/4, 1 1/8, and 1 oz. of shot. If I could add pictures, I would add a picture. If you send me a PM I will email you pictures.