Author Topic: Jim Kibler: Any news on the "new" rifle kit?  (Read 23735 times)

Offline Scota4570

Re: Jim Kibler: Any news on the "new" rifle kit?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2017, 06:01:55 PM »
"I've seen lots of "hawken styled" kits from the low budget seller such as Traditions, Dixie & others.  Why do you consider them more difficult to build than the other styles?"

They are not, those are not Hawkins.  They are low quality kits that use cheap incorrect parts, the finished rifle bears no resemblance to a real Hawkin. 

To get something close you need to spend a mint, deal with wonkie parts, or scratch build ( maybe all three ) .  For instance the tang and breech are more difficult to deal with due to tapers, flairs and angles.  You have to really think ahead and in 3D to properly inlet a Hawkin tang. 

I've assembled two of Jims rifles.  They are so perfectly inletted that almost no such work is needed.  The metal parts are also top notch quality. The most confounding aspect of a Hawking build would be done for you. 

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2017, 06:34:58 PM »
I know my view is minor but I see a Bess kit hitting different target markets like shooters, gun collectors and re-enactors who want something more than a Miroku or Pedersoli Bess.

Exactly. A diversified market awaits

Offline Doc

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2017, 07:40:06 PM »
I'm sure I will be partaking of whatever comes out.   Looking forward to the 54 and a later Fowler.

Doc

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »
After this rifle, there will be more projects to come.  Maybe a full blown English fowling piece, perhaps a Lehigh rifle and maybe a "Golden Age" rifle as well.  Time will tell...  Any thoughts?
You're going to put me out of a job..... :P
Hey ain't you old enough to retire..........
iloco

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2017, 07:53:29 PM »
I know my view is minor but I see a Bess kit hitting different target markets like shooters, gun collectors and re-enactors who want something more than a Miroku or Pedersoli Bess.

Exactly. A diversified market awaits

Oh yeah, oh yeah, I would also consider building a Bess or other larger calibre smooth bore from one of Jim's kits.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »
I would also like to see a "Bess" Short or long land pattern - THAT would be fun - Living in Massachusetts, maybe I could get a few customers along the way.... Many re-enactors looking for a Bess.. anything to pay the way... :)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:28 PM »
??? ???... At one time there was talk of offering your SMR in .50 cal.  ....Is this still a future possibility..??? ;) ;)

Sorry, .45 is as big as we can bo with this kit.

Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
  Jim will you have some of the mountain kits available for sale at the CLA show?  Oldtravler

Yes, we should have some available for sale at the CLA as well as Dixons.  We're working hard to build a bit of an inventory.

Thanks,
Jim

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses regarding future offerings.  The Brown Bess idea is pretty interesting as are others such as a Hawken.  We'll see.... 

To be honest, I have to put my personal tastes aside and make what will get the most sales.  I have somewhat a feel for what will go, but don't get around all the different "circles" either.   So thanks for the thoughts.

There is a tremendous amount of upfront cost to offering each product.  I'm relatively young and see this as a long term investment in order to justify it.

As I mentioned our business goals are to make as good of a product as possible at a fair cost with good service.  I'm personally not satisfied if I feel we can do better.  Things are really good, but there is still room for improvement.  I'm probably a little obsessed, I guess...

Thanks again for all the help.

Jim

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2017, 03:03:54 AM »
I'd like to see an early Bucks County.  Something out of RCA #1.  Or any other source.  Not sure if there is such a kit out there but even if there is yours would easily dominate the market.
Mike Lee

Offline L Meadows

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:47 AM »
Another vote for a Hawken.

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
Jim,
I am like Nate, I vote for a nice Lehigh. No one even makes a component kit for this school that is vaguely close. Whatever you decide on, I know it will be first class! I love my SMR and know the new kits will be as good or even better and that is hard to do. Good luck to you all with all these new plans.
elkhorne

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2017, 05:07:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the great suggestions.  Your input is a big help and has made me consider some new options. 

All the best,
Jim

JNG3

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
This is exciting news! I would love to see a fowler and either a Lehigh or a Colonial period longrifle. I have not even received my SMR kit yet and I am already thinking about your future offerings.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:39:08 PM by JNG3 »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2017, 07:07:55 PM »
"I've seen lots of "hawken styled" kits from the low budget seller such as Traditions, Dixie & others.  Why do you consider them more difficult to build than the other styles?"

They are not, those are not Hawkins.  They are low quality kits that use cheap incorrect parts, the finished rifle bears no resemblance to a real Hawkin.

To get something close you need to spend a mint, deal with wonkie parts, or scratch build ( maybe all three ) .  For instance the tang and breech are more difficult to deal with due to tapers, flairs and angles.  You have to really think ahead and in 3D to properly inlet a Hawkin tang. 

I've assembled two of Jims rifles.  They are so perfectly inletted that almost no such work is needed.  The metal parts are also top notch quality. The most confounding aspect of a Hawking build would be done for you.
Aren't there enough Hawkins's out there already? I'm sure Little Jimmy Hawkins from Treasure Island had no idea his rifles would be so popular.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
A few photos... 

A big stack of wood for the next model.

A rough profile of the new kit.  There is some perspective in the picture and I'm since made some changes, but you can get the feel.

Masters of the guard, buttplate and ramrod pipe made from high density polyurethane foam board (butterboard).   Sorry for the poor photograpy.  The nature of the material and lighting make this difficult.

image hosting cdn

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:24:53 PM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »
A few other patterns I've made with the "butterboard".  These were for other past projects.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
Dad gum, you sure are a hard worker. makes me tired just looking at the pictures.....nap time anyway.... :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

JNG3

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2017, 08:08:37 PM »
Looks fantastic!

Booner

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2017, 09:48:16 PM »
I had the pleasure of purchasing one of Jim's kits a few months ago and couldn't be happier. I'm in the middle of a long house move so I haven't completed the kit yet, as I would like to have my shop in place first. And I will be buying his next offering, what ever that will be. I have that much confidence in the product he produces. For someone like myself, who is totally new to the hobby, his kits instill in me the confidence to try and build a rifle that I will be proud to own and pass on. I may have not entered the hobby if it wasn't for his kit. Perhaps, after I get a few of his kit builds under my belt, I'll try something more difficult.

Please Jim, do a fowler, I'll put a deposit down today.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 10:02:59 PM »
I'm personally not satisfied if I feel we can do better.  Things are really good, but there is still room for improvement.  I'm probably a little obsessed, I guess...
You are doing well, keep up the good work.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »
Incredible work!!!! - You should be very proud!!! - Was that "master cast" trigger guard for your English fowler?  - See, you may be halfway there  :D

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2017, 11:18:49 PM »
Incredible work!!!! - You should be very proud!!! - Was that "master cast" trigger guard for your English fowler?  - See, you may be halfway there  :D
If it is it's going to be an awfully early english/dutch gun, 1675-80 or so.

thimble rig

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2017, 01:22:25 AM »
That's pretty interesting work.Being able to make youre own moulds.Beautiful work.Its a good thing I don't live close by.I have check book ready Jim.God bless and keep up the good work.

Offline Shawn Henderly

• Starting Member
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 01:41:37 AM »
Ok here is a wild suggestion, what about a 1734 or 1729 french musket. Good for milice, indians ,culloden scots, you, me ,and everyone. But I think anything you do right now will find a willing customer base.