Author Topic: Jim Kibler: Any news on the "new" rifle kit?  (Read 23733 times)

fstreed

Re: Jim Kibler: Any news on the "new" rifle kit?
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2017, 02:17:14 AM »
I also would like to see you offer a Fowler.

Dave Patterson

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2017, 02:50:39 AM »
I vote for Lehigh!

Same here:  I'd sure like to see what that'd turn out like!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2017, 04:25:55 AM »
Dang Jim,

Drool on the key board.  Need to start saving money.
Kunk

Hemo

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2017, 06:06:25 AM »
Masters of the guard, buttplate and ramrod pipe made from high density polyurethane foam board (butterboard).

Not to change the topic of your new offerings (which I anticipate with a great deal of interest!), but your high density polyurethane foam board material is very intriguing--I'm currently making masters for a pierced sideplate and ornate thumbpiece using jeweler's wax, to be cast using Delft clay, but I'm not very satisfied with the wax material I'm using--fragile, hard to sculpt, tends to break--wonder if the "butterboard" would work better? What tools do you use to shape it?

Good luck with your projects!

Gregg

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2017, 07:04:19 AM »
Jim,

Those photos are very enticing.  No doubt it is going to be another great addition.

As for future projects...  A good Lehigh kit would be an awesome addition, and fill a big void.  They have some unique and difficult architecture and they are very distinctive and attractive, even left plain.  Just my thoughts on it.
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:13 AM »
Masters of the guard, buttplate and ramrod pipe made from high density polyurethane foam board (butterboard).

Not to change the topic of your new offerings (which I anticipate with a great deal of interest!), but your high density polyurethane foam board material is very intriguing--I'm currently making masters for a pierced sideplate and ornate thumbpiece using jeweler's wax, to be cast using Delft clay, but I'm not very satisfied with the wax material I'm using--fragile, hard to sculpt, tends to break--wonder if the "butterboard" would work better? What tools do you use to shape it?

Gregg

I'm interested too.  Jim's steel cast parts are the best I've used.  The finish is so good that the file marks from removing the tiny parting line roughen them.  The main finish is about like an egg shell.  No wrinkles, no flaws, just perfect all over.  All that is needed is a quick pass with #240 polish-o-ray and scotchbrite. 

Scot

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2017, 03:24:34 PM »
Invest in a #8 cut file.According to Baiter file in Switzerland they have 233 teeth per inch
Bob Roller

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
   Jim know matter what you decide to do. I'm quite sure you will have a happy bunch of customers.
  Looking forward to seeing what you bring to the CLA show.  Oldtravler

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2017, 07:04:02 PM »

Gregg

Gregg,

The buterboard is good stuff.  I use ordinary wood working tools to shape it; gouges, chisels, saws, sandpaper etc.  You can purchase it from McMaster Carr as well as other places I'm sure.  Not cheap but good. 

Thanks again everyone.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:05:08 PM by Jim Kibler »

J Hollis

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2017, 12:13:06 AM »
Jim - will this new rifle bear any resemblance to your #4 rifle on your web site?  It's one of my favorite contemporary rifles.  Either way I'm looking forward to seeing the next kit!

Jamey

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:52 AM »
Perhaps some of the patterns pictured could be cast on yellow brass?
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

autodidact

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2017, 12:26:15 AM »
Take my money now for a fowler kit of the quality I experienced with your SMR!!  But then, you're gonna get my money for just about any kit you produce.  Keep up the stellar work.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:31 PM »
Jim - will this new rifle bear any resemblance to your #4 rifle on your web site?  It's one of my favorite contemporary rifles.  Either way I'm looking forward to seeing the next kit!

Jamey

Jamey,

Thanks.  It will probably have some similarities.  Hard to completely break old habits!

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2017, 09:33:41 PM »
Perhaps some of the patterns pictured could be cast on yellow brass?

This new rifle will only be available with brass mounts.  The 17th century mounts were for a project that I've put aside and not yet complete.  Someday...

Offline Percy

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2017, 10:17:31 PM »
A 20 gauge fowler kit would get my vote.

Percy

Offline tddeangelo

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 05:09:07 AM »
Lehigh and Bucks both would be cool.

A smooth rifle option with the kit going 54 and up would be REALLY cool.

Fowlers....sure. That'd be pretty interesting as well.

Really helped, didn't I? lol

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
After three pages of replies, I'm sure whatever you produce will have plenty of buyers. The quality and ease of completing will sell the kits. While everyone has their favorite style and hopes you produce it, build what will sell, keep you in business and producing different types down through the years.
Look forward to the next kit.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 05:21:38 PM by TN Longhunter »
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA

Matt / PA

« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
Swap out the round faced english lock for a Chamber's Dale Johnson on the new one and take my money!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:16:19 PM by Matt / PA »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2017, 11:39:16 PM »
If I were planning a high quality kit I'd be considering what the market is and what's already available. Of course being able to use an existing high quality lock is almost a requirement , as well as an existing profile barrel. I'd rule out anything that really requires engraving to look good or right, because some of the market for an easy to assemble kit will be inexperienced builders.

Smooth rifles seem hot now and are fun and versatile. I'm not sure what the Hawken market is. I believe a relatively inexpensive trade gun in 24 or 28 ga with a really light barrel would sell really well, but it might not need this quality of kit offering. English walnut is out, perhaps, so that may limit options. As far as military guns are concerned, the Bess is the most desirable but I am not sure who wants one if they do not re-enact Rev War events.

In considering such things I have to try to get away from what I like and try to gauge what will be eagerly received.
Andover, Vermont

Jeff

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 10:14:01 PM »
Like some of the others that have replied...... I would like to see a Lehigh. It is such a graceful and beautiful gun.

Jeff

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2017, 05:46:47 PM »
Thanks for all the great input, guys.  Lots of stuff to consider.  I'm heavy into the Colonial rifle kit project and it's coming along well, but all this takes a lot of time.  It still looks like things will be ready to go with it later this fall.  A lehigh would be a neat project.  Lots for me to learn with them, though!

All the best,
Jim

Offline elkhorne

« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:57 PM »
Jim,
Looking forward to whatever you develop over time. A Lehigh would be great and since I have been studying them for several years, consultation with Lehigh experts like Allen Martin, Eric von Aschwege, Ron Gabel or Eric Kettenberg would incorporate those Lehigh characteristics that no one else in the current market provides and only can be found on custom rifles by some of those mentioned. these men have seen and held many of the surviving Lehighs and know the unique characteristics this school is known for. That would be something no one else has ever offered. you could also offer it in a rifled and smoothbore version and possibly a octagon to round barrel for weight. Just some ideas as which i know you have heard from many but who knows - from ideas come earth breaking new kits that most could never afford from a custom builder. Thanks and good luck.
elkhorne

Hemo

« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 01:40:20 AM »
Thanks for all the great input, guys.  Lots of stuff to consider.  I'm heavy into the Colonial rifle kit project and it's coming along well, but all this takes a lot of time.  It still looks like things will be ready to go with it later this fall.  A lehigh would be a neat project.  Lots for me to learn with them, though!

All the best,
Jim

I second what Elkhorn said--a Lehigh would be beautiful-- I just built one about a year ago after a good deal of study of the school. A different beast, from carving to architecture! I made mine with an octagon to round barrel in  .50 caliber, to duplicate a John Rupp attributed rifle, using photos from the KRA Lehigh DVD as a guide. Very graceful and light. I agree with the option for a "smooth" rifle.

Gregg

Offline utseabee

« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2017, 11:56:18 PM »
Looking forward to the new kit. I love big rifles.
The difficult we do at once, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline JLBSparks

• Starting Member
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
Another vote for Lehigh. I think I'm starting to see a pattern develop here.

-Joe