Author Topic: Pyrodex RS vs FFG black powder  (Read 7430 times)

Ray Pennington

Pyrodex RS vs FFG black powder
« on: July 14, 2017, 02:37:53 AM »
Pyrodex RS or FFG blackpowder??  I have gotten so many opinions for using either one?? Would like to know your take on this as well.  I getting ready to sight in my rifle... .54 cal.

JNG3

Re: Pyrodex RS vs FFG black powder
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 02:47:47 AM »
2f black would be my suggestion for a .54  flint or cap lock. If restricted to 3f or Pyrodex, I'd choose the 3f and load less powder to start.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:15 AM »
Most everybody here uses black powder, because it's traditional and pyrodex is so corrosive.  Plus it's no good for flintlocks and there's plenty of flintlock shooters here.
Andover, Vermont

Ray Pennington

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:56:03 AM »
I bought the Pyrodex RS and have on hand.. A supplier that I use strongly recommended it.   Maybe I should have purchased the FF,     What are the bad reviews of Pyrodex??

Ray Pennington

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:57:17 AM »
Thank you Rich...   I will go get the FF...

JNG3

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 03:03:52 AM »
The residue from fired Pyrodex can be more corrosive to barrel steel than the residue from BP. Flintlocks tend to not like Pyrodex as well. I've got a caplock that refuses to work with Pyrodex.

Ray Pennington

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:17:23 AM »
Thanks JNG3,  good info to add to my collective!!

Offline satwel

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
I use 3f in my .54 flintlock with much success.
Please do not use the Pyrodex. It requires higher temperatures to ignite and will not work in a flintlock. Its perchlorate base makes it highly corrosive. I learned that the hard way.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
When the Pyrodex vs REAL black powder controversy first came to the attention of us
traditionalists,the late and much missed Lynton McKenzie made a test by
using a double barrel caplock shotgun that had been reamed out to the point
of rendering the barrels unsafe. He fired a charge of Pyrodex in one barrel and
real black powder in the other and left them set uncleaned for 24 hours.
The black powder barrel would have been salvageable,the Pyrodex barrel was ruined
beyond any hope of restoration. That Bill Large barrel is a very rare one and
there is NO reason to gamble with it.

Bob Roller

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
Years ago I was given three cans (three different grades) of Pyrodex by a friend who had gotten out of muzzleloading.  I tried it one time in a revolver and was greatly unimpressed.  Never tried it in a rifle and likely never will; I'm a confirmed BP burner.  I suppose you could either trade it or, if you own a caplock that likes it, burn it up on targets and plinking.  And as others cautioned, pay special attention to the bore and clean thoroughly.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
I try to teach by setting good examples (most of the time).

For example, to keep this short (as we've discussed it once or twice before  :P),

I poured out all remaining Pyro*&^% and set it on fire.

Also don't ever breath that smoke-it highly toxic as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:21:10 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
I bought the Pyrodex RS and have on hand.. A supplier that I use strongly recommended it.   Maybe I should have purchased the FF,     What are the bad reviews of Pyrodex??

Sorry I missed this.  Maybe you can find an alternative supplier, that one obviously knows nothing about chemistry or metallurgy(not that I expect that of any salesman). He/She should be commended if they'll let you return the P-stuff.

FF is all I use in 54, but also developed a load for FFF (either can be used, but for best results you'll have to develop a load for each.  I prime with whichever I'm loading in the bore-IOW no separate priming horn.  FFFF is great [priming] for targets but I won't use it hunting. Too much wind/wet susceptibility.  Cheers
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 08:02:59 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 09:19:37 PM »
I am completely in agreement with Wade on the question of whether to use Pyrodex or black powder.  While Pyrodex fouling is less apparent than the fouling from black powder, it is there and much more corrosive than the fouling left by real black powder.  You have a very nice Hawken replica with a Bill Large barrel and a snail patent breech.  Pyrodex is much more difficult to ignite than black powder.

The only reason to use Pyrodex is if real black powder is totally unavailable in your area.  I suspect that your supplier can only stock the substitute powders, so that supplier had nothing to sell you. 

Is that can of Hogden powder Pyrodex?  If it is then don't use it. 

The 4fg powder is for use as priming powder for flintlocks.  Don't use the 4f powder as the main charge in your rifle.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 11:30:43 PM »
I tried one can of Pyrodex in the late 70's, this was just before the plant blew up. Once was enough, only real Black Powder for me. I don't see any good reason to have some Pyrodex on hand.
I've been in this game since 1976 with both caplocks and flintlocks, on the shooting line and in a tree stand, plus regular shooting on my private range. This translates into a lot experience. Most of the guys on this forum also have a lot of experience, some more than me. I would listen first and last to what these guys say about Pyrodex.
*edited*

I have on hand a quantity of 2fg, 3fg, and 4fg. But I now only shoot 3fg up to .54 caliber. And I agree that 2fg or 3fg works well as a prime but I still use 4fg for all my shooting. I live in an area that's hot and humid and years ago I did have problems with 4fg as a prime, but  I just worked out my problems and now it's all I use.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:31:29 PM by Dennis Glazener »
American horses of Arabian descent.

Ray Pennington

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »
Again, I really appreciate and will follow all the guidance this forum offers.  I will definitely use FF for any & all loads for my rifle!!   I mainly deer hunt here in Southern Ohio & cant wait till' opening day!!

Getting ready to sight in, will start at 90 gr., 10 lubed patch @ 25 yes.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 03:58:23 AM »
Please accept my apology for the cartridge gun reference, but if you can recall the damage done to many antiques by the corrosive primers of the day; well, Pyrodex is much the same.  My friend used it for some time in his flint lock rifle by using a priming charge of black powder in the barrel before dropping the pyrodex load. Then primed the pan with B.P.   It worked, but was hard on the barrel and the lock. All parts needed cleaning , then recleaning the day after , and sometimes the day after that too. Patches from the 3rd day would come out dark, even though the day before's were clean. I found this very troubling, and yes...the barrel was eventually ruined.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »
*edited*

Having said that, I do agree that only real black powder should be used when available.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:32:18 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »
I mentioned the possible and probable damaging results of using Pyrodex as far as the lock and barrel are concerned, however, if you need to or want to use it, just clean extremely well, and then come back in a day or two and do it again.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
*edited*
When I was on the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle forum I raised the question of Pyrodex and the
moderator,seeing it was a genuine inquiry allowed it.It got several chemists to reply and one
of them said the fumes were dangerous and if you wanted to stop the world and get off then
get into a closet,close the door and light a cup full of this stuff and bloodlessly shuffle off.

Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:33:10 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 04:37:22 PM »
Try not to be so heavy handed moderating and things just go down hill.

Note that I edited out parts of several replies. Those parts did not meet our rules about no modern firearm discussions and also that we show some respect for others. I probably missed other parts that should have been edited and I am sure someone will point that out.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson