Author Topic: Cherry Stock finishing with Easy-Off  (Read 5863 times)

Offline stoneke

Cherry Stock finishing with Easy-Off
« on: July 15, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
I will be receiving a Kibler SMR with a nice quarter sawn cherry wood stock. Pictured on his site is a similar rifle with a cherry stock that was stained with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Is anyone familiar with this process? I am looking for that warm reddish-brown hue, that is so handsome with cherry wood. Thanks for the help.

Offline PPatch

Re: Cherry Stock finishing with Easy-Off
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 09:20:55 PM »
I will be receiving a Kibler SMR with a nice quarter sawn cherry wood stock. Pictured on his site is a similar rifle with a cherry stock that was stained with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Is anyone familiar with this process? I am looking for that warm reddish-brown hue, that is so handsome with cherry wood. Thanks for the help.

Cherry will, in time, naturally age to that warm red/brown tone you seek. It will take two-three years, sunlight quickens the process. Lye gives something like the natural finish but it is not the same as a naturally aged look. Your choice of course, just saying, I've never used lye on cherry.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 10:37:43 PM »
I've used Easy Off. Worked great. After whiskering the stock several times I sprayed it down with Easy Off and waited about 5 minutes and then hosed it off. Didn't think it looked dark enough so gave it another coat for 5 minutes and it looked great. It finished to a very nice reddish brown cherry color. I have heard of some people neutralizing lye with vinegar but I didn't. Perhaps because Easy Off is not as strong as straight lye.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:40:06 PM by Robert Wolfe »
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 11:57:35 PM »
 Try a Search using "easy off", I found 31 entries on the subject. May be of some help.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:59:36 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 11:59:57 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 12:02:35 AM »
Lye has been used to enhance the colors of Cherry for a great long time.

Easy Off is simply a aerosol version of lye (at some fixed strength). If you mix your own, you can experiment with various strengths of solution.

I'll be mixing my own and trying on scrap pieces of wood, probably using sodium hydroxide purchased at the local hardware.  One could also make potassium hydroxide from wood ashes.

Lye is also used for drains, cleaning, descaling, soap making, paint stripper, water softening, and processing corn into hominy.  I've used it quite a bit to recondition iron skillets.  So I keep some handy nearly all the time.

Red Crown is the current brand available in this area.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:04:00 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 03:30:37 AM »
stoneke

I'm fixin to do a cherry gun with lye in a few days if everything goes well I'll post my results and method.Haven't done it before so can't tell you how I do it until I actually do it  ;D  ;D .Wish me luck...................

Mitch

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:55:53 AM »
If you are planning to use any kind of true oil finish over the lye-stained stock, after staining the stock it will be highly advantageous to go over it with a diluted vinegar wash to neutralize the alkalinity of the lye.  Many people have had lots of problems - especially when the gun gets wet or is in high humidity - with the alkaline stock (lye) reacting with the oil and taking on a blotchy, white cloudy appearance.  Essentially the lye is saponifying the residual fats in the oil, making soap.  Not a preferred look.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:35 AM »
Tallbear,

How did your Easy Off stain work out?

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:46:12 AM »
Dave R

I did'nt use oven cleaner but rather mixed plumbers lye with water.Here is the rifle finished.You can click on the photo's for a high resolution photo..... http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=45036.msg441719#msg441719

Mitch

Turtle

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:45 PM »
 A caution that may save others a problem. I used diluted easy off in a bowl and daubered it on. I diluted it because i didn't want a dark red. Particles of left-over inlet black were carried onto the surface and stained it dark and deep-to deep to sand out. I ended up re-treating it full strength to cover up the dots. I always dauber on my stain and have never had this happen before. in hindsight, I should have sprayed it on.

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:40:03 PM »
Something else to keep in mind is to be sure to read the label of the easy off you buy. The regular strength contains no lye and will only wet your wood and turn it a weird greenish color. The heavy duty contains actual lye and will stain the cherry the red color you are after.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 06:12:54 PM »
I used drain cleaner dissolved in water. It resulted in a nice medium chestnut brown color.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 07:11:44 AM »
Thanks to all for the tips!! ;D

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 09:57:14 PM »
 Waiting is no fun but if you have some scraps of the stock wood you are using, you will have well spent time if you try easy-off/lye on them. Start with about 5 minutes and go to 20, even if you only do 3 or 4. Treat them just as you would a stock, neutralize, Vinegar, don't neutralize, letting them dry, sanding, put a finish on, etc...see what you get.
Keep notes.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:59:56 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:29 PM »
I've never tried Easy Off, but on maple with AF, I neutralize with a weak lye solution.  My fear is that the acid in AF or the lye in Easy Off would corrode pins and furniture weakening them or making them impossible to remove.  The lye in Easy Off would in all likelihood, do the same.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."