Author Topic: Pledge  (Read 2086 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Pledge
« on: July 19, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
Has anyone here ever tried using Pledge or other spray furniture polishes on their gun stocks?  Is it any good?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Pledge
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
Yes, I have hanshi. It is fast, easy, and looks really good. I don't know how much protection it might afford, I suspect very little. I use it during the spring and summer when I mostly target shoot then use a good hardwood paste wax before and after hunting season on all my guns.
Robby
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:21:23 PM by Robby »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:30:38 AM »
I have the scoop on this.  Buy some Sagebrush Gun Glow.  I got mine from Shiloh Sharps.  Comes in a pump bottle. 

My 1874 got some dull areas to the stock after sweating on it in the summer.  I was really worried.  I called Shiloh and they said, "Gun Glow.  It'll take care of the problem."  I ordered some. 

Wow. Does it ever work!  It is safe on metal as well as wood.  It made the finish on my rifle look better than new. 

The best part is how it makes grain "pop".  It makes a piece of wood look twice as expensive.   I would not use it until after the finish on a rifle is "cured" good and hard, but after that, it's some great stuff. 

It looks like water, and is slippery.  Silicone is in there somewhere I'll bet, but I don't know about the rest of the ingredients.  Probably wax. 

Now y'all know my secret.  After shooting and cleaning the bore, I wipe on Gun Glow, and let it set for a few minutes, then buff it off lightly. 

Give it a try.  I think y'all will like it. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
Many furniture polishes contain silicone. Don't use silicone. It is a contaminant that will never come out of a piece of wood and will prevent any stain or finish from working properly. Meaning you can't refinish it in the future. This is a classic, well documented problem.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »
 I would think it would have some type of cleaner in it also which may take any patina off. The Silicone its self may do that. M2CW

Tim C.