Author Topic: Does anyone recognize this rifle?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Does anyone recognize this rifle?
« on: July 18, 2017, 02:07:40 AM »
Do any of you recognize this rifle? Or possibly know anything about it? Click on the photo to enlarge.
Dennis

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:08:57 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

somehippy

Re: Does anyone recognize this rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 02:16:17 AM »
Very interesting, especially the breech and the shape of the comb.  For all the "bling" I find it tasteful.  I know nothing aside from it's neat!  I wonder if breechs like this were common?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 02:33:25 AM »
Woh Dennis, that is one wigged out rifle, lots of neat elements to it - looks like it was made by Wiley Higgins lost step-brother.  ;) That patchbox, wow. I hope someone ID's it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 12:25:46 AM »
This fine rifle appears to be the work of Cyrus Jackson of New York. He worked in several locations and was known for making fine, well-decorated rifles. His last location in 1826 until his death in 1830 was Rochester, NY. Prior to that, he worked at Morris, then Fly Creek, and New Berlin before Rochester. You will note the rifle has multiple New York details, including: patchbox design, checkering at wrist, and single trigger. Jackson liked to use eagles in his decoration, as this rifle displays. He also liked this style of New York patchbox and was known for making the major elements very thin, as on this rifle's patchbox finial. You will note his last name on the barrel inlay, as well as his initials on the top of the breech.

Cyrus had a son, Cyrus W. Jackson, who was also a gunsmith, but worked later and I do not believe he came up to this level of artistic enhancement. Further, the son almost always used his middle initial to separate himself from his father, and this gun has just two initials. Great rifle showing a lot of individuality in a controlled, attractive manner. Shelby Gallien
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:04:20 AM by Tanselman »

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Lots to look at there,very busy but I do find it easy on the eyes.A nice rifle Dennis.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:45 AM »
Lots to look at there,very busy but I do find it easy on the eyes.A nice rifle Dennis.

Overloaded with decoration but not to the point of being obscene.

Bob Roller

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:11:11 AM »
Shelby, thank you. I would not have guessed that. It is so different and folky that many would assume it was made far south of NY.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:46 AM »
Just simply a very rare, very cool rifle. Thanks for bringing it to the show.  I think its outstanding.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:49:03 AM »
Great looking rifle with many unusual distinguishing characteristics. Thanks for sharing the photos. I like the Patchbox!
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 05:21:05 PM »
Don't many features of this rifle well post-date the Cyrus Jackson who died in 1830?  Assuming so then it would appear we're probably dealing with his son?  Just throwin' that out there.  Regardless, very cool rifle indeed.