Author Topic: A Little Lock  (Read 3513 times)

Offline Hudnut

A Little Lock
« on: July 20, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
Here is a small lock that I have had in my odds and ends for decades.  It is an unfinished original.  Pistol size, left hand.  Note how the mainspring is set up.  Even though the lock is small, it will fit up against a musket sized barrel.  The flashpan basin was cut out using a cold chisel.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: A Little Lock
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 12:19:36 AM »
Does "original" mean an antique lock, or perhaps a more modern hand-made lock? It looks like a good quality lock, but a couple of details on it suggest a newer lock, such as the top jaw screw with its flat bottom end and machine marks on the top ball, and the cock screw holding the cock in place with what appears to be a straight, machine cut, flat bottomed slot. If it is an original antique lock from ca. 1800, it has survived in remarkable condition. Shelby Gallien

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:45:54 AM »
I don't know how old it is.  Acquired it 45 years ago, it wasn't new then.  It isn't what would be called a reproduction.  There is no evidence whatsoever of any castings.  If you look at the threads on the top jaw screw, you can see they are not sharp the way ones are if cut with a modern die or on a screw machine.  It has never been final finished or tuned.  Surfaces are file finished.  Whoever made it was good.  It is pistol sized, but pistols with left hand locks aren't common. 

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:00:47 PM »
Whoever made this knew what they were doing. The fit of the small bridle support shaft
and the contours of the various parts indicate a professional or a skilled apprentice.
It looks English and they did have ways to turn screws long before this lock was made.
Lynton McKenzie made a copy of a lock even smaller than this and used it on a copy of
a Fenton target rifle,a 16 bore with double set triggers. There was another man involved
with Lynton on this project and I don't remember his name.
   The little lock shown here looks like new old stock ready to finish with paneling or engraving.

Bob Roller

Online Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:05:29 PM »
A pair of these locks were provided by a customer with which to build a SxS. The frizziness had not yet been hardened. When finished they performed very nicely. No marking whatsoever.

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 03:24:40 AM »
The lock is 4 3/16" long.  Springs are tempered, frizzen, bridle, tumbler and sear are hardened.  The threads have the typical slightly rounded form.  The screw slots on the top jaw and cock screws are slightly V shaped.  The cock screw has a domed head with a base flange.  The flange is not exactly centered on the dome.
If a matching right hand lock could be had, they would make a great pair for a diminutive double.

realtorone

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:05:22 AM »
The "pins"  at the rear of the pan(Inside Picture) and then the frizzen screw attaching the front of the pan are what is used on my Don King Bedford lock,except the King lock pan only has one pin. I think Don built almost all of this Bedford lock as there are no other markings except D K engraved on the outside of the lock plate. I think this is only the second lock I have seen made in this pattern.

George

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:51:32 AM »
Those aren't pins to the rear of the pan - just little marks.

realtorone

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:44 PM »
    The pan is not removable,and is one piece with the plate?
George

Offline Hudnut

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 10:00:47 PM »
Yes.  The pan is integral with the plate.