Author Topic: Another rifle followed me home.  (Read 5266 times)

Offline EC121

Another rifle followed me home.
« on: July 22, 2017, 03:21:24 AM »
There I was just minding my own business, and this stray rifle followed me out of the Cracker Barrel parking lot and right back to the house.  Do you think my wife will buy the story?  Pics on my blog.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com
Brice Stultz

Offline Molly

Re: Another rifle followed me home.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 04:06:45 AM »
I have had that same thing happen to me.  Then, one day while I was considering going to the range. I FROZE and could not make a decision on which one to take out that day.  I also came to the conclusion that shooting proficiency was only going to be achieved with a lot of practice with each individual rifle.  Taking out one one day and a different one the next does NOT result in becoming as good as some of my follow shooters who arrive with 1 rifle and shoot the same rifle all the time.  Sounded a tad boring at first but it has proven to be a better way to become good at shooting.  While I like looking at them all there are currently ones I have not fired in maybe 2 years.  SO, where do we go from here?

Collect originals that have an appeal.

BTW, I also have learned that all that looks good does not make them shoot well and you cannot determine how well they were made and will shoot by just glazed over swooning at them.

Nope, acquisition of replicas no matter how appealing, is a thing of the past.

But then there is this one rifle owned by this one friend that was made by one of the icon's in the field that may come available some day.  Should I consider it???

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 05:22:01 AM »
That is why they make chocolate and vanilla.  So everyone will have a choice.
Brice Stultz

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 07:02:32 AM »
 8) 8).....Wow ... Ol' Nate made you a fine looking sparky ....I like the rectangular Carolina style taller hole ... !!!

Offline Joe Schell

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »
I like that one , should do real well on them hogs.

Offline EC121

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »
He did well.  I wanted a rifle that I could put some "patina" on without worrying about it.  I had that $40 piece of wood and some new Rice triggers laying around.  Then Tim gave me a LH lock.  You know how it goes after that.  OK Joe, now it is your turn.
Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 05:06:36 PM »
Good God it's left handed! :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

n stephenson

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 05:36:30 PM »
Thanks everyone for the nice words. Thanks Brice for the kind words and the post. When Brice contacted me about the build , like he stated, he basically had a very nice lock  , a set of triggers and, a piece of wood. We  put our heads together and sorted out the basics then, he just said do what you want. As stated ,this rifle was built first and foremost as a hunting rifle. We omitted some furniture and, slimmed the stock quite a bit , it balances well and feels light and very handy. Brice plans to carry this rifle in some rough country and ,he knows it will probably get roughed up some ,sparing some of his nicer rifles the dents. Thanks for the opportunity Brice, and keep us posted .  Nate   Mike it aint left handed your just looking at it from the wrong side , it`s an " obstacle conclusion"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:39:08 PM by n stephenson »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 06:13:42 PM »
Hmmm...followed you from the Cracker Barrel, huh?  The only thing that has ever followed me from the Cracker Barrel was, well, indigestion, I guess.  Very nice rifle, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline EC121

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »
Yep!!  There I was pulling into the Columbia, TN Cracker Barrel for coffee, and a man was sitting there in pickup truck.  Being in Tennessee, I wasn't sure if he was a terrorist or selling moonshine.  Lo and behold!! Out jumped Nate with my rifle in his hand.  Test fired the rifle this morning.  Works great and fits fine.
Brice Stultz

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 08:19:59 PM »
  EC121 test fired in the parking lot. My kind of town!!!! Oldtravler

Offline steve1122

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 12:10:17 AM »
That's a great looking rifle Brice! Ol' Nate does fine work, and he is a pleasure to deal with. Hope you get plenty of hawgs with that rifle.

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 03:34:06 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Traveller.... HaHa... after all... this IS Tennessee, ya know ... !!!

Offline EC121

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 06:15:33 AM »
I actually shot it at home the next day, but we stood in the parking lot and talked for 20 minutes while I waved the rifle around as people walked out.  No one batted an eye.  No SWAT teams showed up.
Brice Stultz

n stephenson

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 04:39:16 PM »
Oldtravler, Around here ,you only get looked at cross eyed , if you Don`t have a gun strapped on your hip. For some reason it helps keep people friendly. ;D    Nate

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
  Cades,Ec an Nate up here in Northern Michigan it use to be that way. But the last couple year's. We have gotten WAY to many wackadoodles as the wife calls them. Heck us can't even point your finger an their ready to call away on ya!
  Last summer I was scrapping down a gun stock an da New neighbour called the sheriff on me!
  Funny thing is now. He is a full blown flintlock enthusiast. Got talks love it.  Oldtravler

Offline TN Longhunter

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
I've done many a gun deal in a parking lot with never an issue. Even done a couple in Ohio lately (where I'm working) with no trouble. Armed seems to bring out the polite in people.
Don Spires
Tennessee Longhunters
Patron Life NRA
NMLRA
CLA