Author Topic: Looking for info on E.J.Euwing/Ewing .  (Read 3260 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Looking for info on E.J.Euwing/Ewing .
« on: July 22, 2017, 04:00:30 AM »
  Hopefully someone hear can help. Looking for information on this fellow. He was killed at the Alamo.
 He was twenty four years old. He was born in 1812 in Tennessee. Does anyone know how we can find out more about this man.
  We believe we have this man's rifle. It has his name marked on it. It was purchased year's ago in Texas. Around the seventys. It is a Soddy style gun with a walnut stock an a flintlock. So the gun fits the time period.
  Also it has the numbers stamped on the barrel,trigger guard an cheek piece. We believe those could be museum marks?
  Any help would be much appreciated. According to some the Tennessee records we're destroyed.
  Thanks for any help.  Oldtravler

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Looking for info on E.J.Euwing/Ewing .
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:38:57 AM »
  As a heads up. We will have the gun at the CLA SHOW on display. Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:56:12 AM »
 :o :o... Will be glad to see this one, Traveller.... sounds like an interesting rifle ....meanwhile, ...to tease us, ....post a few pix ... ???

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:12:47 PM »
How did you determine his name was E. J. Euwing/Ewing and that he was born in Tenn in 1812 ?  In checking several lists of the Alamo defenders who died, there is only one Ewing and his name is James L. Ewing who was born in Tenn. in 1812 -  thus he was 24 yrs old as you indicate.  If this could be your man (the owner of this rifle) there is more info on Ancestry.com especially in the "Family Trees" section.  If you think this could be your Texas patriot I can share more info re his family inc his parents, birth place, etc.  However, keep in mind, one has to always take the "Ancestry" info carefully.  Arnie

Offline art riser

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 06:28:05 PM »
Very little in Ancestry beyond the fact that James L. Ewing was born in 1812 in Davidson County Tennessee and died at the Alamo. His military record is also on line at Find A Grave. I have found nothing relating to the Soddy rifle mentioned earlier.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 07:59:42 PM »
  Thanks for the replys. This is the name that is scratched or etched on the gun. Very hard to see. That is why we were not sure of the spelling.
  If it is this man's rifle it should give this rifle significance historical importance. At least you would thank so.  Thanks again. Oldtravler

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:14:43 PM »
OT61, So is this supposed to be a gun he owned at one time,,,,, or a gun he carried at the Alamo?

If this is the gun he had at the Alamo, I'd bet you're going to need a picture of him with gun in hand to prove it!

John
John Robbins

Offline Arnie Dowd

• member 2
  • Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
I agree with Art completely but am reasonably comfortable that his father was Edley Calvin Ewing (born 1778 in VA and died in 1849 in San Augustine, Texas). One listing has the record (in detail) of a Edley Ewing from Tenn. in the War of 1812;  then relocating to Texas in 1833.  There is a record of a James L. Ewing from Bexar county, TX as participating in the Siege of Bexar as a member of Capt. William R. Carey's Artillery Co. and later as secretary to Lt. Col. James C. Neill commander of Texas forces occupying Bexar. IF you decide it is worth pursuing I have located a book (privately published in 1979) titled "Edley Ewing, the Texas Pioneer and his Descendants" by Milam Myrl Ewing, which can be found in the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, IN.  Arnie

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 04:20:45 AM »
  To Arnie an other's we are just trying to find info an facts about the gun. It seems to have a unique history at best.
  As far as I know it is not for sale. It is my friends rifle. As for a picture with him with it. Is dang near impossible as most people know.
Photography was not invented at that time.
  But none the less the history of these guns intrigues me. Their is one more rifle that I am seeking info on for another fellow that I know. This one is more documented.  Oldtravler

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2017, 08:47:09 AM »
  Photography was not invented at that time.
  Oldtravler

Exactly, but I guess my humor got lost in translation...

John Robbins

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
  The my directness gets the best of me sometimes. Wished we did have  picture of the man an this gun. So you have my apologies.
  Everyone has been very helpful in securing information.
 Hopefully we can have a decent display at the CLA show.
  Thank you all for your help. Oldtravler