Author Topic: Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion  (Read 2703 times)

Offline heelerau

Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:05:57 AM »
 I got the repaired lock back from Alan the other day, he has done a fine job of repairing the scear and he also lightened the mainspring some. I benched it at 50 yards, ver windy day.  .490 ball, thick denim patch lubed with Dutch' mix. I started at 30 grains, first shot well low of the black at 6 o'clock.  Next 3 shots with 35 grains, 3 to 4 inch group still low of the black. Went up in 5 grain increments and finished up with point of aim same as point of impact and a 3 inch group. Suspect the rifle may be closer to .52 so will try a larger ball when I properly measure the bore.  Still pretty happy with how she woke up after maybe 150 year sleep. Ver light let off and the lock worked a treat. Will have to replace the original cone as it it I guess a bit larger in the vent than I would think decent. I have yet to measure the thread, looks like if I am lucky a fine metric one, if not will have to have a custom cone made. I have also from TOW purchased and fitted the missing sling mounts and a nice Jaeger sling. Recoil is virtually nil.  I wiped out after every 6 shots or so and really the bore shewed not roughness inspite of some pitting, thus loaded smoothly. The bore looks mirror like now. Patches did not tear .
   I still wonder if this rifle was made for a youth as it is quite short in the pull, but still comfortable for me to use. Will do some more tinkering with the loads and will post a photo of a target in due course.

Cheers

Gordon

upload images

Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Jaeger Rifle Caplock Conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
Cool. If it could only talk
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
Most all jeagers have a real short pull, yours looks pretty typical. One twist in the length of the barrel?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline heelerau

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
Mike you are dead right and a left hand twist!!  nice little rifle, it is going to be a lot of fun to use. And yes if only these old  girls could only speak !!

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:40:55 PM »
Mike you are dead right and a left hand twist!!  nice little rifle, it is going to be a lot of fun to use. And yes if only these old  girls could only speak !!

Cheers

Gordon
I'll be interested to hear what load it settles in on. I'll bet tight patch and ball and relatively little powder.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »
A short lop would suit me perfectly.  It sho-nuf looks good for an old girl.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.