Author Topic: ID of the barrel maker.  (Read 2185 times)

mosin75

ID of the barrel maker.
« on: July 24, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
This is my first posting and I'm new to the BP thing. So here goes.

I bought a custom built half stocked .50 cal gun. It has a browned octagon barrel, a maple stock, with a older looking buckhorn rear sight with NO marking on it anywhere that is visible. I did take it apart and the only marking are on the bottom of the barrel under the wood that is marked"GRRW". This is stamped on the barrel twice about 6" apart. Is this the makers initials of the barrel marker?

TIA

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: ID of the barrel maker.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 12:50:53 AM »
Green River Rifle Works
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 01:54:36 AM »
They built barrels, rifles and kits, so could be any combination but definitely the barrel is by Green River Rifle Works

mosin75

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 03:31:27 AM »
I just got back from firing it and its very accurate....much more than my .50 T/C Hawken.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 04:22:14 AM »
GRRW made very fine barrels and they seem to have a tiny bit of "choke" in that once the ball is started it slides the rest of the way pretty easily. Nice for loading and very accurate. In the late 70's they were top notch, milled octagon after drilling, so the bore was always in the center at Muzzle and breech instead of "hope so" when boring octagon stock.  Lands are narrow helping starting a ball also.

I have one in .45 I built into my first flintlock 1978.  Very sweet shooting rifle.
Andover, Vermont