Author Topic: On to my next crisis...  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
On to my next crisis...
« on: July 27, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
*sidenote: when asking for advice, I tend to listen to my more knowledgable advisors and rely on their advise.

So I have my stock pinned to my barrel. I must say, not my best work!
But, it is done and does not look too bad?
My crisis is that the barrel seems loose in the barrel channel back between the lug closest to the lock and the middle lug. It doesn't "rattle" in the stock but it feels like I took too much wood out of the barrel channel between the second and third lug, while inletting. It feels like it has some "play" to it and not snug like someone who is very inexperienced (me) would think it should be.
I have searched the forum for similar issues so as not to repeat a question but I have not found anything really relating to my problem.
I have seen some posts about "bedding" (with Acragel) and I wonder if this is something that could  be a solution? I know that this would not be period correct - maybe there is a solution that would be?
I could really use your help

Offline Scota4570

Re: On to my next crisis...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:08 PM »
Bend the middle of the staple toward the barrel.  Just tap it with a little hammer.  That will give the wedge/pin more pull. 

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 09:07:29 PM »
On the Middle (and lock) lug - How close is the pin hole to the barrel? If you have 1/6 or more space, could you put in new barrel lugs, and drill "higher" toward the barrel to "pull" the barrel down toward the wood stock? (Actually pulling up the wood stock tighter to the barrel) Just a thought - If Maple, you can always wood glue in a toothpick and redrill the wood lower to also pull the barrel tighter. With the pin and a finish, you will never see the fix.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:08:15 PM by Kingsburyarms »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:33 PM »
Cut a piece of stock wood 1/8"thick and wider than bottom flat. Plane edges to 45 degrees till it fits nice. Lay it in there. I bet you don't have that much play. Go to 1/16". Lay if in there. I bet you don't have that much play. If that's the case just stop worrying. If you need the barrel channel built up glue it in and re-inlet the barrel. Take an hour.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
Thank you so much!
I really did not want to "bed" it at all just could not come up with another solution.
This seems so simple, I'll give it try!

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
I would have smoked up the bottom of the barrel especially around the lugs to see if the lugs are sitting down and where the low spots are.  If the lugs are not dovetailed flush with the barrel, often times they make the barrel stand proud of the channel not being fully seated themselves.  In that case the fix is to remove the slight bit of wood around the  lugs.  Just something else to consider.

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 10:28:29 PM »
I would have smoked up the bottom of the barrel especially around the lugs to see if the lugs are sitting down and where the low spots are.  If the lugs are not dovetailed flush with the barrel, often times they make the barrel stand proud of the channel not being fully seated themselves.  In that case the fix is to remove the slight bit of wood around the  lugs.  Just something else to consider.

Thank you
That would be an easy quick check to see if that is the issue before moving on to the next possible solution.

On the Middle (and lock) lug - How close is the pin hole to the barrel? If you have 1/6 or more space, could you put in new barrel lugs, and drill "higher" toward the barrel to "pull" the barrel down toward the wood stock? (Actually pulling up the wood stock tighter to the barrel) Just a thought - If Maple, you can always wood glue in a toothpick and redrill the wood lower to also pull the barrel tighter. With the pin and a finish, you will never see the fix.

The pins are right against the barrel. I had thought about installing new lugs too actually, but I was hoping not to have too....
You say "glue in a toothpick and redrill" do you mean use the toothpick to fill the pin hole in the stock? If so that also is a good idea.

Man, I need to start thinking outside the box here!  :o
Thank you all for your help

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:56 PM »
The pins are right against the barrel. I had thought about installing new lugs too actually, but I was hoping not to have too....
You say "glue in a toothpick and redrill" do you mean use the toothpick to fill the pin hole in the stock? If so that also is a good idea.

Yep - I have done that before.... Use clamps or rubber inner tube to pull the barrel tight to the stock when you "re-drill" the pin hole

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 01:42:23 AM »
* how do you guys know if your knowledgeable enough to be qualified to answer this question? ??? I was going to, but didn't want to waste anybody's time.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 02:02:07 AM »
* how do you guys know if your knowledgeable enough to be qualified to answer this question? ??? I was going to, but didn't want to waste anybody's time.

At this point if you are further along than pinning the barrel to a stock, then compared to me, you are qualified!  ;D :o :P
Trust me Mike you would not be wasting my time I would look forward to having you share your experience

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 02:55:55 AM »

Because I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 03:13:00 AM »

Sometimes I will bed the barrel with some epoxy along the channel. I mix the epoxy with some brown tempera water color powder, just a small amount/ Wax up the barrel good with paste wax when doing so. 
You might be surprised how much the barrel will tighten up when you put sealer and some finish in the channel. If you force the barrel down by tightening the pin some how it will effect the barrel when shooting. Right?
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 03:53:34 AM »
  I'm with you Ron!!! But I'll be at the Hyatt in Lexington whatever that means.....! Oldtravler

Offline Dwshotwell

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 04:39:37 AM »
Man, I need to start thinking outside the box here!  :o
Thank you all for your help

I'm only a month or two ahead of you so I won't try to help, but I will add that if there is one thing I've learned in those few months, it's that much of Gun Building 101 is problem solving.
David Shotwell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
I smell what you are cooking Mike.  A few days ago some guy shared a proprietary secret that is was okay to use expandable foam to fill up an inletting gap in a lock panel.  Now everybody knows how I get all those barrel inlets so tight.  ???
David 

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 04:13:28 PM »
Guess I won't answer any more questions.

Just seemed logical that if the barrel wasn't snug it was because something wasn't inlet properly.  The job wasn't finished.  I guess you could bed it.  Or redrill and plug with toothpicks but the toothpicks never really blend in with the rest of the wood when finished and pulling the middle of the barrel down tight and bending the thing is going to make shooting an adventure.   The list of "could do's" goes on when all you need to do is inlet the  bottom flat of the barrel all the way along its length in the first place.. 

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 04:16:55 PM »
I smell what you are cooking Mike.  A few days ago some guy shared a proprietary secret that is was okay to use expandable foam to fill up an inletting gap in a lock panel.  Now everybody knows how I get all those barrel inlets so tight.  ???
David
Yes, the expandable  foam secret is out. I've been experimenting with it. I believe I can build the entire gun out of expandable foam and skip the wood completely.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
Noted. I will sit on the sideline.

n stephenson

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 04:58:07 PM »
Mike, will you be experimenting with faux striping , or, will you just sell them "in the white" . Are you planning to add other styles? If so I vote for an early " transitional" rifle or a fowler. Put me at the front of the list , I`ll mail you a deposit. Thanks Nate

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 08:33:11 PM »

Just seemed logical that if the barrel wasn't snug it was because something wasn't inlet properly.  The job wasn't finished.  I guess you could bed it.  Or redrill and plug with toothpicks but the toothpicks never really blend in with the rest of the wood when finished and pulling the middle of the barrel down tight and bending the thing is going to make shooting an adventure.   The list of "could do's" goes on when all you need to do is inlet the  bottom flat of the barrel all the way along its length in the first place..

Noted. I will sit on the sideline.

I am so not trying to insult anyone here. I have been registered on this site since, I believe, 2013. And as you can see (38 posts) I have been trying to absorb as much information as I can/could until I took the plunge with my first kit. I am flying by the seat of my pants here and most of my knowledge comes from all of you who have shared your experiences and wisdom with us who are not at that level yet or have that ability yet. You can only get so much from books and DVDs.

My plan is to take the barrel out and black the lugs like KentSmith suggested. That is my starting point.
From there I am just going to apply the advise I have been given by those who have given it. Using as much as it takes to get somewhat of a solution.
 If the lugs are high, I will take out some wood. If that is not the case then I plan on trying to snug up the barrel with a strip of wood in the channel.... One step at a time.
I am pretty sure I screwed up the inlet. If not, definatly the pinning of the stock to the barrel.
I'm just searching for some way to help correct or clean up the mess I am in that I made.

The thing here is you have given me a basis of knowledge that I can take and apply to my given situation and hopefully come to a resolution for my particular problem. Where else can I go for that?

The last thing I want is to make people feel like I am just posting here to hear myself post. That is not the case at all and if I made someone feel that way I am truly sorry and you have my deepest apologies.

Beginners like me need your wisdom, experiences, and expertise, and if we can't get it anymore then we have lost a terrific resource. Not just for me but for future gun builders.

Please continue to contribute.
I want to personally thank Kingsburyarms, KentSmith, Rich Pierce, and jerrywh for you help and suggestions. Gentlemen without contributors such as you many of us would be without the proper guidance that one needs to stagger through this.

Offline Kingsburyarms

• Jon Rider
  • Administrator
  • Jon Rider
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 08:40:19 PM »
Keep posting my friend - On the sidelines does not mean out of the game :) - Ton's of great builders here to help you on your journey.... Post, especially with pictures, and you will get great help along the way.

Jon

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
Sorry been one of those days

Question. Was the barrel inlet first. Then removed and the lugs attached then put back to inlet the lugs?

Offline Wolfshead

• Starting Member
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 10:17:34 PM »
Sorry been one of those days

Question. Was the barrel inlet first. Then removed and the lugs attached then put back to inlet the lugs?

Yes it was. I inlet the barrel, then attached the breech plug and inlet that.
From there I inlet the trigger plate and screwed that in, then I drilled the tang for the tang bolt and once that was done I went to the barrel lugs. I attached the lugs blackened the ends so as to know where they lined up and then inlet them. When all that was done I measured where the lugs were to the stock and did all the drilling and pinning. (Not quite as easy as I just wrote it) then put it all together. The rest you all know.
Again thank you for your help!

Offline Ray Settanta

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:13 AM »

Be advised that some people like to joke around a lot. Most of them are not serious when they make a snarky reply. The trick is learning which ones are.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2017, 06:40:13 PM »
Just one more question:

Isn't the true barrel to stock connection the inlet at the back of the barrel, the tang, and the first pin or wedge?

From there forward the barrel is simply supporting the wood, right? 

Just wondering if that would have any bearing on the gentleman's issue with the inletting.

Best wishes, and God Bless,  Marc