Author Topic: Would like information on this 1837 Buttstock  (Read 3790 times)

Offline Mike_StL

Would like information on this 1837 Buttstock
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
I recently acquired a buttstock with interesting patchbox details that seemed too nice to go to the scrap bin.  I have very little information about the rifle other than it is dated on the toe plate July 1837.  The set trigger is stamped J. Fehr Naz...   J. Fehr is listed as a gunsmith and set trigger maker in the 1830 to 1835 time frame.

The patchbox appears to be original to the gun.  The steel screws have traces of engraving on some of them that was done after the patch box was installed.

On the cheek piece, there the unusual 6 pointed star.  I have only found one associated with a H. Deringer rifle in the Trade Rifle Sketch Book.

The toeplate has the same engraving as the patch box.

This is the set trigger with the J. Fehr Naz... marking.  I don't think the rifle was made by Fehr.

I want to build a replica using the parts.  I am thinking flintlock based on the cut out in the lock mortise and the forward lock plate bolt. 

What advice or additional information as to maker can you give me?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Would like information on this 1837 Buttstock
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
Looks like a SW Virginia rifle to me. Guns in that condition are often completely restored. Absolutely do not use those  parts to make a new gun. You may be surprised  how much someone may offer you for that buttstock. Easily enough for enough parts to build a whole new gun with out destroying what's left of that one.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »
It looks like a Kennedy family rifle to me with a replaced triggerguard. Is the sideplate still there?

Michael Briggs
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:42:08 PM »
The sideplate is gone.  All remaining parts are pictured.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:30:18 PM »
The Kennedy family worked in the Bear Creek School in North Carolina.   Please provide photos of the sideplate mortise.
Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
Here's a picture of the lock mortise.

You can see the butt stock was cut and spliced very crudely.  The grain pattern indicates that these were parts of the original butt stock.

This is a view of the top of the stock.  You can see where there was a plate at the top of the wrist. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »
The Kennedy family worked in the Bear Creek School in North Carolina.   Please provide photos of the sideplate mortise.
Michael
I believe you're right, looks like a bear creek gun for sure. I still believe that gun should be restored and not salvaged for parts.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
Here are some examples of other rifles by the Kennedy family. I will attach photos of patchboxes and side-plates. Also note the silver star above the cheek rest.

get a url for a photo

free image hosting sites

upload image to url

upload image on web

These photos will help you see what is missing if you decide to restore your rifle.

Michael
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:51:35 AM »
Those photos are very interesting.  Certainly looks like my butt stock.

Do you have pictures of the fore stock?  I would like to know how the barrel is fastened to the barrel and what the nose cap looks like.

Thanks a lot Michael.

Mike_StL

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 05:20:46 PM »
This is what I have.

free upload site no registration

Michael
C. Michael Briggs