Author Topic: Another Virginia Horn  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Another Virginia Horn
« on: July 29, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »
 This one is in the style of the horn on page 210 of Dr.Jay Hopkins' book Bone Tipped & Banded Horns
 It is about 13" around the outside curve and about 11" tip to tip. The Cherry Butt is about 2 1/2" and held in place by 4 Brass tack and 6 wooden pins. The Butt was stained with Easy-off Oven cleaner and finished with Oil. The horn tip is held in place with 3 wooden pegs. The band was heated an pressed on. Body color was done with a Dye bath, Saddle Tan oil based leather dye and a coat of Brown shoe polish.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

Re: Another Virginia Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »
Looks super Tim.  I got out the book and looked it up.  Yep, you captured the look.  In fact, I think your horn is a bit more graceful and higher quality than the one in the book.  Nice finish color too.  Look forward to seeing it perhaps in Lexington in a few weeks.  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:20 PM »
Love it
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 03:11:24 AM »
I like it. LOTS
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 04:11:20 AM »
  Tim thanks for showing. I have a simular horn an you gave me great Ideas on how to finish it. Thank you! Oldtravler