Author Topic: Which Lock to use  (Read 8083 times)

Torfinn

Which Lock to use
« on: July 30, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
I am building my first Rifle and need advice on which Lock to use. I have

A. Verner stock from Pecatonica River that is inletted for a Colerain 38" B weight swamped barrel .50 cal. There is no other inletting

the above mentioned Colerain barrel

Colonial American Flint lock, one exposed screw version, by R. E. Davis

Large Siler Flint Lock

Would Like to use the R. E. Davis Lock but I am not sure it will work.  The Davis lock is much thicker than the Siler.
As this will be a Hunting rifle, exact historical accuracy is not required.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Which Lock to use
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:42 PM »
I'd probably go with the siler. That davis lock is going to be too big for a Verner gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
I agree with Mike use the deluxe Siler or I probably would use the Chambers Dale Johnson lock. Basically the same as a deluxe siler but the tail of the lock is a little lower which helps with lock placement in the wrist of the stock. The DJ lock is also a very quick lock. Tim

Torfinn

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:44:16 PM »
Haven't seen a Dale Johnson Lock. It is not on the TOW site.

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:50:59 PM »
I'd use one of Stan Hollenbaugh's locks.  He makes a straight and a curved.  Excellent locks, far better than anything you'll get mass produced.  http://www.stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com/page2.html
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Try Muzzleloader Builders Supply, Stonewall Creek Outfitters, Jedidiah Starr Trading Co. for a Dale Johnson lock.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 11:46:55 PM »
If you want a Dale Johnson lock go straight to the source.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:22:49 AM »
If you want a Dale Johnson lock go straight to the source.

Absolutely, go straight to Jim Chambers for the lock. 

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 01:01:35 AM »
I agree Chambers is the place to get a lock. But the Dale Johnson locks sold by these vendors come out of the same batch as you get from Jim Chanbers he doesn't sell DJ  kits only assembked locjs which they buy from Jim same as you. They get a discount for volume. In fact the last DJ I bought Chambers was out and they recommended I try one of their vendors. The ones I named above. Tim

Offline flehto

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:20:00 AM »
The chambers Golden Age lock is shown below on my last build. Have also used the deluxe Siler and the Late Ketland. All these locks were used on Bucks County LRs. .....Fred

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 07:47:28 AM »
     Fred's recommendation above is spot on.  I have handled a lot of original Bucks Co. guns and the majority had English trade locks similar to the Late Ketland, those that had Germanic locks were similar to the Siler family of locks.  I really like the Golden age lock for this application.  Your 38" barrel will make a nice hunting gun, but will miss in the H.C. department should be a B 44" to get close to correct. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

cyrus1066

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
I also would like a bit of  advice on 3 future builds,
 as am ordering the 3 locks in 1 order
 from Track
         -Rupp/Moll/S Long lock ?
         -M.Fiordney
         - Maryland school lock .......similar to Armstrong .
Any advice is appreciated .

Torfinn

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 05:17:39 PM »
     Fred's recommendation above is spot on.  I have handled a lot of original Bucks Co. guns and the majority had English trade locks similar to the Late Ketland, those that had Germanic locks were similar to the Siler family of locks.  I really like the Golden age lock for this application.  Your 38" barrel will make a nice hunting gun, but will miss in the H.C. department should be a B 44" to get close to correct. 

Ron

I used to have a TVM Lancaster with a 42" barrell and standing on its heel it came almost up to my eyeballs. So I decided for Hunting I would like something a tad shorter.  ;D  And yes, Bucks County styling is what I am after although I do not intend to copy any particular maker.

I already have a large Siler Lock (have the Davis lock too) So I may end up going with that. But  I do Like the look of the Dale Johnson Lock and also the Golden Age lock looks good. Bought the Large Siler from Barbie at a Longrifle show about 14 years ago.  Hmmm... Tough decision.  Right now bills are much higher than availabe funds, LoL.  Don't expect tt hunt with it this year in any case. 

Offline flehto

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 08:37:22 PM »
I use the Dale Johnson locks  on the Lancasters and they really look like they belong. Can't understand though why a pronounced chamfer wasn't put on the lockplate.....it's not that hard to do but does look better than the nondescript whatever corner treatment they used. Could be used on a Bucks County.....Fred

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:40:44 PM by flehto »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:35:21 AM »
These gentlemen have made some great suggestions, and shown some equally splendid examples.  If I may, here's the lock I used for my own rendition of a A. Verner longrifle.  I used a Siler percussion lockplate and purchased stock parts from TOW in the way of a pan, cock, frizzen spring and such.  Using an enlargement of the lock I wanted to emulate, I simply filed until I had the best representation I could make.  Siler's internals including Chamber's replacement tumbler, to get the cock's full bent position as far rearward as possible, were used.  This is a splendid lock that gives fast ignition every time.
Don't settle for less than you can make or afford.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline scottmc

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 01:40:44 AM »
Cyrus 1066, I sent you a pm to read.  If you are a lefty, let me know.  Hollenbaugh's Armstrong would be tough to beat if you are seriously considering building one.
Remember Paoli!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 04:34:04 AM »

Ron

I used to have a TVM Lancaster with a 42" barrell and standing on its heel it came almost up to my eyeballs. So I decided for Hunting I would like something a tad shorter
;D  And yes, Bucks County styling is what I am after although I do not intend to copy any particular maker.

I already have a large Siler Lock (have the Davis lock too) So I may end up going with that. But  I do Like the look of the Dale Johnson Lock and also the Golden Age lock looks good. Bought the Large Siler from Barbie at a Longrifle show about 14 years ago.  Hmmm... Tough decision.  Right now bills are much higher than availabe funds, LoL.  Don't expect tt hunt with it this year in any case.
That's why they called them "longrifles".
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Torfinn

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 06:59:33 PM »

LOL  Guess I had that comin".   ;D  I do like Longrifles though. Half the reason I moved to Kentucky. My next rifle will be longer.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »

LOL  Guess I had that comin".   ;D  I do like Longrifles though. Half the reason I moved to Kentucky. My next rifle will be longer.
Just put a barrel stretcher on the one you got, you can usually stretch most of them near a foot or so.

n stephenson

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 12:19:50 AM »
Mike, I loaned my barrel stretcher out to someone a few years ago and ,I can`t remember who. Yours are the best I`ve ever used .   Are you still making them ? If not who makes the next best one`s to yours ? Some of the cheap China made ones change the bore diameter too much , especially when you stretch one a foot. Not so with yours. THE BEST!!! ::) ???

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 02:49:47 AM »
 Davis makes good locks but I don't like that lock at all.  I don't see any dimensions on it either.   i would take a siler any day.  I wouldn't do all that work for that savings. With that b  Weight barrel you need something slim.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 03:03:17 AM »
Sorry I'm way late weighing in on this, I missed the thread when it was new.  There have been many very good suggestions for locks made so far!  Against some other opinions I would recommend the Davis Colonial lock for a Bucks county gun.  The lock is well designed and has plenty of meat on it making it a great candidate for reshaping.  Below are a couple photos of a Bucks County gun I built using the Davis Colonial - the original rifle had a lock of very similar size and styling.  If I were to do it again I would make a larger cock screw, the one that comes with it is too small for the large cock in my opinion.

Original rifle:

Curtis
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:48:53 AM by Curtis »
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Torfinn

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 03:48:47 AM »
Curtis,

Is the rifle you show built from a precarve or a blank?

And what shaping did you do on the davis lock. I like the way the lockplate stands proud of the stock,  it looks very good.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:42:37 AM by Torfinn »

Torfinn

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 03:35:07 AM »
Went to the CLA show in Lexington and Saw lots of fine rifles.  Picked up a disk from the KRA on upper bucks county rifles. Has mostly Verner and Shuler rifles on it. Still have not decided on the lock. but I have selected the sideplate. triggerguard and buttplate.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 05:34:35 AM »
Torfinn, it was built from a blank using a drawing of the original.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing